Intellectual Property Questions

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
What things an entrepreneur should get copyrighted before approaching VCs

What things can be copyrighted of a startup before approaching VCs? I have a very fast growing online venture for which I am going to approach VCs. But I want to make sure they can't use my idea...

asked Sep 22 '12 at 23:24
Blank
Sourabh
288 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
2.52K Views
Somebody got a trademark for a domain I own. I am planning to launch my service in a week

I have a domain name, (lets call it XYZ.com) which I have owned for about an year and a related service that I have been developing for about an year too. I just searched the trademark database,...

asked Sep 23 '12 at 02:06
Blank
Royal1122
252 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
Employee who contracted programmer to complete project. Who owns intellectual property?

I was hired as an employee to integrate data which initially no projects existed that required programming. It became clear that the method needed to complete one project was going to require some...

asked Oct 1 '12 at 03:29
Blank
User19928
21 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
2.56K Views
Startup project - hide from employer or cooperate with him?

I am a software developer. I have a good idea and I'd like to create a startup. I am planning to invite one or two of my colleagues as co-founders. I am concerned about the relationships with my...

asked Sep 11 '12 at 07:32
Blank
Mel
68 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.64K Views
How have University IP licensing terms for tech startups changed since Google licensed PageRank from Stanford?

What were the details of the IP licensing agreement between Google and Stanford for PageRank? For example, what PERCENTAGE equity and royalty rate did Google give to Stanford? Were there...

asked Sep 13 '12 at 07:53
Blank
Cklin
21 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.76K Views
Whose property is the product?

I recently entered a government founded start-up that was planning a major switch in the product (after I entered we started doing a completely new product indeed). Each person in the project has a...

asked Aug 17 '12 at 03:37
Blank
Iker
11 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.58K Views
Protecting works for being able to prove later "I've done this on this date"

How to protect digitalized works for later prove we've had this and that on that date ? Example: John Doe wants to protect his works on 2011 to be able to prove in future (let's say 2022) that he...

asked Aug 27 '12 at 21:36
Blank
Grzegorz Wierzowiecki
126 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
Am I worrying too much about my IP?

I've spent the better part of the last several years developing a product/algorithm, and although I lack the time/funds to do an exhaustive patent search, I'm 99.99% certain that the algorithm is...

asked Aug 28 '12 at 02:56
Blank
H Y Wl Dya46v Zp0tjt N Wq F
8 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.65K Views
Intellectual property evaluation

How do I get my intellectual property evaluated? I have a framework and a software code for a project I am working on. I talked to a lawyer, with a proper value tag he said that I can invest in a...

asked Aug 10 '12 at 10:13
Blank
Kapish M
134 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.74K Views
Example of Agreement (template) with Company for doing stuff in spare time

According to related topic: If I'm working at a company, do they have intellectual property rights to the stuff I do in my spare time? (and related : Intellectual Property and Side-Projects in...

asked Aug 12 '12 at 19:24
Blank
Grzegorz Wierzowiecki
126 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
1.85K Views
Technology Accelerator or Bootstrapping

I have a few ideas for a company, and plan to get started sometime this fall. I know of an accelerator that focuses on this vertical, and I have contacts there so reaching out to them would be...

asked Jul 11 '12 at 17:00
Blank
Lenwood
151 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.02K Views
Protection Help Bringing a Social-Media Platform to Indiegogo

I'm a 19 year old Canadian, and I've created a unique platform in regards to social media. I'm currently alone in this project and I feel the need to hold it close to me; as I've heard horror...

asked Jul 18 '12 at 11:40
Blank
Evan
111 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.52K Views
If I write code with someone just together, are they entitled to equity in my startup?

If a friend casually wanted to hack with me and we wrote something that took off, are they entitled to equity in my company?

asked Jun 24 '12 at 06:04
Blank
User18524
31 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.04K Views
Legality of usage of Competitor's Scripting Language

We have a software which supports scripting. One of our main competitors has a software which works in the same way. I wonder if it is legal for our software to support their properiatery...

asked Jun 11 '12 at 17:36
Blank
Noway
192 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.73K Views
Software IP Ownership

If I have a company that has been building some SAAS for several years. I am now looking to take on another person and give them 40% equity. Were should the IP of the software been maintained?...

asked May 27 '12 at 21:29
Blank
Craig
219 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
How to incentivise current employer in future startup?

I am currently employed by a company whose core business is not IT-related but I have developed a few applications that are central to some crucial business processes and I want to create a startup...

asked Jun 1 '12 at 02:02
Blank
Assylias
103 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.58K Views
Acquiring a website with unclear ownership

We want to acquire a website that is driven by a large community and non-profit. Before going to the attorney I want to do my own research on this topic. The problem is that the ownership of this...

asked May 11 '12 at 21:10
Blank
Jean Pierre
48 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.91K Views
Ownership of IP developed while employed

I'm a 3d software developer working for a manufacturing company on industrial visualization software programs. In the future, I wish to develop 2d/3d games, mapping applications during my free...

asked May 15 '12 at 04:01
Blank
User703047
31 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
How to avoid idea "contamination" when soliciting advice on a product

We've got a software product going into alpha release and want to invite some super users to test and give feedback. I wonder if there's any sort of steps we should be taking to prevent the issue...

asked Apr 26 '12 at 06:19
Blank
Yarin
147 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
Singleboard/SOC based products and IP laws for a small company

I run a small business in custom software development in Canada, and I think it has gotten to the point where I can release my own product. My question has to do with using existing...

asked May 8 '12 at 03:03
Blank
Super Tron
108 points