Intellectual Property Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.76K Views
Intellectual property due diligence when onboarding talent to create IP

When talent is being paid to acquire/create intellectual property, it's been my experience that the standard due diligence is to just have that party sign a contract stating they own the rights to...

asked Apr 16 '12 at 04:11
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.75K Views
Intellectual property brain dumps and lock downs

I did some consulting for a biotech that had partnered with an SaaS provider that's platform among other things did the following: Used two-factor authorization for all transactions, Used a...

asked Apr 16 '12 at 04:16
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Taking company's source code away

In general, what penalty do you provide to an employee that takes company Intellectual Property away (violating the non-disclosure agreement)? What is the best way to protect our bigger value...

asked Apr 24 '12 at 22:47
Blank
Devdept
108 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.6K Views
Partnership Gone Bad

For the past 6 months or so I have been working on a project with 2 partners. Here's the breakdown: Partner 1: Finance, marketing, sales, legal Partner 2: Product dev, design, branding Me: Tech,...

asked Apr 13 '12 at 13:27
Blank
Miles
130 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.72K Views
US intellectual property law - restrictions for a licensor

I am going to acquire a non-exclusive license from an American individual for a software. This software will be used as an integral part in my retail software which is under my own copyright. We...

asked Mar 26 '12 at 15:10
Blank
User17044
6 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
4.55K Views
How should I leave a startup. I own all their source code

I asked a question recently here, discussing options for what to do in my current situation. The other co-founders let me know they no longer think I deserve 20%, and I decided it was the last...

asked Mar 29 '12 at 12:56
Blank
Phil
210 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
IP: Maintain property over source code

I have code of mine, developed before joining the company as a co-founder, that I used for the company product (website) but want to retain the copyright and all IP rights to it and to be able to...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 12:32
Blank
Jj.
29 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
Side projects while being a co-founder and officer of a company

There is already an awesome question and answers on IP and spare time related to employees: If I'm working at a company, do they have intellectual property rights to the stuff I do in my spare...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 14:40
Blank
Jj.
29 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
Licensed software and due diligence: sufficient?

In the process of due diligence for an investment or for M&A, I ask: Considering that all other software is property of the company, is it sufficient to have a non-core part of the software,...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 16:36
Blank
Jj.
29 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
How do I get an IP Lawyer as an Advisor

My pre-seed technology startup has developed unique IP which needs protection. The industry we're targeting is run by giants (with tons of IP), so the IP story will play a key-role on the startup....

asked Mar 13 '12 at 01:49
Blank
Ellery Familia
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.93K Views
How do you approach intellecutal property rights when developping general products for cilents?

We always "reserve the right to re-use any code written for this project" in our contracts with clients. With this in mind, if a later client needs a very similar web app, is it ethical to slightly...

asked Mar 5 '12 at 05:12
Blank
Big Tuna
349 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
2.61K Views
Former partner is illegally using my IP

I've noticed a former potential partner of mine is using a logo, website design, and company description/mission that I created and retain full ownership of. Should I just send a simple email...

asked Mar 5 '12 at 19:04
Blank
Ashton M.
83 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
5.22K Views
Intellectual Property (Source Code) Held in Escrow

I work for a start-up company who has a client requesting that we place the source code for our SaaS (software-as-a-service) application in escrow. They're concerned that, as a start-up, the...

asked Mar 10 '12 at 04:54
Blank
Yuck
257 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.04K Views
Is it illegal to sell a software template created at work but duplicated and augmented at home?

I am an employee at a large company and I created a worksheet using my work computer. The worksheet helps me organize my info such as passwords and time-off records. I replicated it and then...

asked Feb 28 '12 at 11:36
Blank
Es Developer
11 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
Should I transfer the intellectual property of a product to get investors?

I've been working on a new software that could do a nice work on the current market, and I'm trying to get investors to be able to work full time on this project and deliver before the other...

asked Mar 1 '12 at 01:08
Blank
Cross
141 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.79K Views
Equity sharing for my particular situation

I have read numerous posts and articles on this topic and it is clear there are several schools of thought that involve many shades of grey. I have come to a conclusion but am seeking affirmation...

asked Feb 12 '12 at 08:36
Blank
Tony Cimaglia
6 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
3.53K Views
How long should you keep your idea a secret?

I am a graduating senior in college studying computer science and machine learning. For the past year, I have been working with two other people on what we think is a pretty fantastic idea,...

asked Feb 9 '12 at 06:57
Blank
Jon
137 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
Public transit app: possible revenues and IP issues?

I am looking at developing a website sort of like ones that NY-area commuter railroads have, showing train departure times and tracks. One major transit hub near me has no central location for this...

asked Jan 30 '12 at 10:19
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
3.75K Views
how to present ideas to a possible future partner without getting them 'stolen'?

I am planning into getting involved in a venture in an asian country. I have a friend from this country that has an experience in the kind of business I want to be involved in and that has “ built...

asked Jan 22 '12 at 13:37
Blank
Ongoing
13 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
How to document transfer pricing policy for IP

In Europe, there is enormous tax differences between high tax and low-tax jurisdictions for holding IP (for example 60% for owners of a "3:12" Swedish company vs 5% for a Luxembourg IP...

asked Jan 23 '12 at 09:11
Blank
User239558
228 points