Investors Questions

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.79K Views
Should I raise money from investors if my goal is not to get acquired?

My goal is to build a profitable company that generates revenue for years without selling out to a larger company.Since most investors are looking for an exit in 4-5 years after investment, should...

asked Mar 26 '14 at 14:26
Blank
Ronald Block
60 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.3K Views
Phrases to avoid when pitching to investors?

What are some phrases startup founders love using that you shouldn't while pitching to investors?

asked Mar 8 '14 at 03:27
Blank
Earl Shellman
55 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.32K Views
What's the deal with being an accredited investor? Why does the SEC even have that designation?

I've read the arguments on the benefits for startups to pick accredited angel investors. But what's the deal about it from the SEC's standout? What did the SEC have to gain from even creating this...

asked Mar 20 '14 at 21:57
Blank
Julio Hearn
35 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.19K Views
Responding to investor's rejection emails?

How do you respond to rejection letters from investors? What some strategies to use it in your favor?Are there any stories of how successful startups used rejections from investors when they...

asked Mar 20 '14 at 12:55
Blank
Pablo Smeltzer
49 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.17K Views
A big chunk of my revenue comes from one source. Is that a huge negative in raising money from angels?

I have a software product and one enterprise client accounts for over 70% of my revenues right now. Is that a huge negative for investors? How can I mitigate that risk?Our goal is to use the money...

asked Mar 17 '14 at 16:48
Blank
David Harman
20 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.61K Views
Can you still invest in startups on AngelList if you're not an accredited investor?

My net worth doesn't reach the minimum needed to be considered an "accredited investor" by the IRS.Is there a way I can still invest in startups on AngelList?I'm not sure why they have this...

asked Mar 15 '14 at 20:15
Blank
Michael Espinoza
15 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.62K Views
What should be in a seed-round pitch deck for investors?

What data do angel investors want to see in a pitch deck? Better yet, are there any public successful pitch decks that people have used to raise over $500K from angels?

asked Mar 10 '14 at 13:36
Blank
Robert Collins
160 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
What can you learn from getting rejected by investors?

Most VCs will never tell you "no". Instead they will keep saying they'll get back to you. They do this so that they don't jeopardize investing in future rounds (in case they made a mistake the...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 23:24
Blank
Thea Cortez
10 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
9.55K Views
Cold emailing a VC without an intro?

I don't have any contacts that could provide me an intro to a vc firm or angel investors. I have, however, found that many VCs' email addresses can be easily found on their websites or personal...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 12:38
Blank
Henry Nielsen
25 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.01K Views
Minimum traction before approaching investors?

For a company that doesn't monetize yet, how many registered users should it have before starting to approach investors to raise a seed round?

asked Feb 27 '14 at 23:55
Blank
Freddie Henry
95 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.59K Views
Why are some startups in "stealth mode" if ideas are worthless. And how do they raise money from VCs?

At any given point, there are many VC funded startups in stealth mode. What's the benefit of being in stealth if "execution is everything" anyway? How do VCs justify funding such a startup since...

asked Feb 26 '14 at 13:00
Blank
Antonio Comer
130 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
Outside private investors interested in my game company

These are new grounds for me so I have a lot of questions. I'll just touch on a few not to overwhelm! I have a new game company and I have a couple interested investors who may invest some seed,...

asked Nov 11 '13 at 10:59
Blank
User1574168
6 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
4.44K Views
Early investor wants to cash out

Our company had an early partner that came in on the 'ground floor' and promised to one of the first hired employees. He invested money into the company for an partner's equity share (25%). A few...

asked Oct 26 '13 at 04:58
Blank
The Brock Ellis
28 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
Splitting common stock between founders and investors - How can a founder ensure that he does not lose control of his company?

View: It seems to me that the only sure way for the founder of a company to ensure, with absolute certainty, that he will not lose control of his company is for him to retain 50.1% of his company's...

asked Oct 28 '13 at 09:36
Blank
Jonathan Todd
28 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.89K Views
Investor is concerned with Dilution. Would a LOC help us with the future?

We are in our first round of startup fundraising. We need $50,000 for business growth and we currently have one investor who is interested in investing $25,000 for 5%. He is concerned with his 5%...

asked Nov 5 '13 at 08:36
Blank
Ramsey B.
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.68K Views
What investment finance options are available to exit your angel investors?

Id like to know what investment options, equity or debt financing options exists amongst VC Firms for Entrepreneurs wanting to buy out their Investors stake in the business. In other words, exit...

asked Sep 20 '13 at 06:30
Blank
T.G. Van Zyl
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.84K Views
How is the % of equity given to an investor divided between partners?

When giving a percentage in equity to an investor, is the % taken equally from the existing members of a corporation (partners/shareholders)? I'm asking this question, as I currently have the...

asked Aug 28 '13 at 07:35
Blank
Daniel Johnson
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.86K Views
How to find drug discovery investors

I own 30% ip royalties in an undeveloped simulated set of treatments for HIV and cancer but I do not have the capital to run the experiments necessary to validate my results. Are there investors...

asked Aug 28 '13 at 08:58
Blank
Caseyr547
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
How can i get funding for a construction business startup?

I am currently building a construction business that is heavily driven by systems and processes, the system is built on the basis of engagement and transparency at all levels to ensure that...

asked Sep 2 '13 at 21:29
Blank
Rsimms
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.38K Views
Is it bad to use a investor's accountant?

We need to find a new accountant. The investor we hope to get on board in the next fortnight is recommending his who is a great guy, but we think it might be a bad idea to use our investor's...

asked Sep 5 '13 at 20:36
Blank
Andy P
11 points