Investors Questions

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.74K Views
How are friends and family investment rounds structured that it is legal?

To my knowledge, to invest in a private company in the United States, a person has to be an accredited investor. But what about these friends and family rounds that I hear so much about - friends...

asked Dec 5 '12 at 03:25
Blank
Genadinik
1,821 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
Board composition and dynamics after angel investment

I am the sole founder and owner of a limited company. I am considering to find an angel investor not only for financial reasons but also to have somebody experienced to give valuable input -...

asked Dec 6 '12 at 03:39
Blank
Dan
49 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.83K Views
How to become a secondary angel investor

I'm planning to become an angel investor but during the initial stages dont want to be directly looking over all the operations. Thus looking for something like helping another angel investor,so...

asked Nov 25 '12 at 18:43
Blank
Rock Win
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.65K Views
How will I know when my company is ready to receive an investment?

How will I know when my company is ready to receive an investment? I am starting a company and have bootstrapped it so far. I have produced four versions of the demo. The first fully-working...

asked Nov 28 '12 at 11:10
Blank
Gunshor
1 point

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.64K Views
Seed funding question

We are in our seed round and the investors are asking for preferred shares of the company and terms that they own a percentage of the code/software and a percentage of the patent rights. We are...

asked Nov 30 '12 at 14:46
Blank
Devin Shavenoff
8 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
How to expose my startup to seed investors instead of cold calling them?

How can I expose my startup to seed and angel investors instead of cold calling them? Is there any way to get feedback from them? In Silicon Valley or other major startup scenes.

asked Dec 1 '12 at 09:46
Blank
John S
184 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
Should I give an investor equity for a short term investment?

We are not so much a start up company; been doing business for over 7 years and started off with an investor which was considered a loan with interest. Now we are up to receive anywhere from...

asked Nov 16 '12 at 18:01
Blank
Andrea Wilson
6 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.66K Views
Consequences with investors if company doesn't meet agreed milestones

I have a few questions about promised milestones to investors. Is it common to include very specific milestones in the term sheet? What are the consequences if you fail to meet them? Losing Board...

asked Oct 19 '12 at 05:02
Blank
Wewill See
53 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.81K Views
Is it unattractive to investors if I have a 51% Anti-Dilution Provision?

Will investors be turned off if i own 51% of the company and have an Anti-Dilution clause that keeps me at 51%? I expect I will go through several rounds of 3rd party investing in my start-up.

asked Oct 29 '12 at 06:02
Blank
Dragonman
120 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.25K Views
Is it okay to shop around for incubators

I'm meeting with a local incubator tomorrow and I would like to know if it's okay to tell them I'm going to "shop around". I want to talk to other incubators and see what they can bring to the...

asked Oct 30 '12 at 23:10
Blank
Dragonman
120 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.38K Views
Should I get investors to sign an NDA before sharing my idea?

I have an idea for a company and I want to share it with potential investors. I'm a bit concerned about my ability to protect the idea. Should I get them to sign an NDA? Would that scare investors...

asked Oct 18 '12 at 05:56
Blank
Sarah Simpson
23 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
Start up is getting offer to have website developed for "profit sharing"

I have an idea for a website that myself and a partner have started to get going. One of our first steps was speaking with a web developer. The site may run over our budget. The developer (who is a...

asked Sep 19 '12 at 10:28
Blank
Melissa
6 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.36K Views
How to structure even number of board of directors?

We are in the process of setting up a board structure for our startup. Everybody on the board will have their own veto rights on important matters, such as capital injection, spending limits,...

asked Sep 12 '12 at 19:27
Blank
Jaxons
16 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.4K Views
What to do when an investor ask for a percentage of future revenues

We have a profitable hardware and SaaS business. some clients want to obtain a 12-month financing to buy our hardware. we need extra money to allow it. that would increase our monthly income by...

asked Aug 24 '12 at 02:14
Blank
Sd Reyes
156 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
Am I worrying too much about my IP?

I've spent the better part of the last several years developing a product/algorithm, and although I lack the time/funds to do an exhaustive patent search, I'm 99.99% certain that the algorithm is...

asked Aug 28 '12 at 02:56
Blank
H Y Wl Dya46v Zp0tjt N Wq F
8 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.71K Views
Working @ Startup. Need help reading their most recent SEC Filing

Our Company just raised another round of funding (5MM). I took a peak at the SEC filing and it was confusing. See below: Total Offering Amount $18,500,000 USD Total Amount Sold $9,777,138 USD...

asked Aug 28 '12 at 03:49
Blank
User19426
8 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
Selling an idea in the public sector

Me and my partner are working on an idea for a text (SMS) service that we intend to pitch to the National Health Service in the UK as it could potentially save them a lot of money. However, minus...

asked Jul 11 '12 at 16:57
Blank
Sebastian
101 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
Approaching Angels by E-Mail - How much information should I expose?

I consider contacting a few potential angel investors through E-mail, for my yet to be founded startup. My Executive Summary is ready to be sent, but I'm wondering if its safe to send it right...

asked Jul 22 '12 at 02:51
Blank
Orchestrator
149 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.81K Views
How much time should be spent on expandability in front of investors?

I have five minutes to present a web app in front of investors (well, actually they are contest judges, but they are still looking for an app that will take off), and then I get five minutes for...

asked Jun 21 '12 at 05:18
Blank
Tyjkenn
103 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.77K Views
The Dream Team - What investors look for?

I know that the first thing investors look for is a good strong team. Until recently, I thought that just meant the founder and co-founders. However, I was just checking out angelist, and most of...

asked Jun 27 '12 at 04:51
Blank
Derek
164 points