Legal Documents Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.67K Views
Can we say we are HIPAA compliant

I work at a small company that writes cloud based medical software, I often get asked if we are HIPAA compliant. To the best of my knowledge we are but I am unsure whether or not a certification or...

asked Sep 12 '12 at 08:50
Blank
Todd B Fisher
163 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
How to write introduction document of a company and an app?

I am an indie developer who works on android applications currently. One of the big OEMs wants to cooperation with me on my most popular app. They requested me to share an introduction document of...

asked Aug 21 '12 at 04:02
Blank
Dirhem
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
Terms and Conditions for a Meetup.com-style network?

I am about to open up registrations to my open-source meetup.com alternative, but am worried about the legal side. What sort of things should I put in the Terms and Conditions, and do I need them...

asked Aug 3 '12 at 21:44
Blank
Samuel Marks
3 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
10.8K Views
Signing agreements and contracts, what name to use? (California)

I am a videographer in San Diego, CA and I'm fairly new to working freelance. I've recently aquired a Fictitious Business Name (or DBA) under my first and middle name (my stage name when I was...

asked Jun 12 '12 at 06:41
Blank
Melissa
6 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.86K Views
Does one man startup require signing any legal documents?

Ok, let say. I have created a web based application, registered a domain name, and hosted it on the Internet. Can I say it's a one man startup? If not, then: What will it be if I just host my app...

asked Apr 16 '12 at 17:25
Blank
Anon
6 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.15K Views
Contract for start-up employees and how to secure myself as the leader of the company

I'm a computer science student and have had an idea for a website for a while. Up until now, I haven't told anyone about it(even my family and girlfriend). Anyways, I decided to tell a friend of...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 14:15
Blank
Logan Besecker
158 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.11K Views
How do I make sure that my company owns my software?

This seems like a silly question, but I want to make sure that my interests are protected. I own a software development company, LLC in Virginia, and I have a product that I developed and have...

asked Apr 7 '12 at 00:47
Blank
Tim
670 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Proof of managing director or signing officer for a LLC

I'm a member of a domestic US LLC, formed in the state of Delaware. I'd like to open a foreign exchange account with a vendor for my LLC to pay my suppliers in Europe. The vendor requires a...

asked Apr 9 '12 at 23:23
Blank
Tchitcho
18 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.72K Views
Considering selling imported goods through ebay and/or etsy.com How to not get on the bad side of US government?

I hope this question is on topic. I have a plan to make a bit of extra income. I know a person in Africa (let's keep it this general for now) who can help me import some cheap local non-edible...

asked Apr 10 '12 at 12:31
Blank
Job
101 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
my business is in my legal name i.e. "John Smith" do I still need a DBA to form an LLC?

Being an independent artist, if my business is in my legal name i.e. "John Smith" do I still need a DBA to get an LLC ? The bank was asking for a DBA.

asked Apr 11 '12 at 00:33
Blank
D Magone
11 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.01K Views
Legally required to provide hard-copy of receipts/invoices?

Just a quick question related to my start up. Am I legally required to provide posted hard-copies of invoices and receipts to clients or are email PDFs sufficient (if I know they can receive and...

asked Mar 20 '12 at 18:27
Blank
Anonymous
557 points

-2 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Do I have to use real personal name when signing checks and/or legal documents for my LLC?

I am starting my own LLC internet-based service business (this will be just a one man shop - me). I would like to try to remain as personally anonymous as possible (not because of anything illegal,...

asked Mar 7 '12 at 12:37
Blank
Kay
9 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.57K Views
I need a document that both parties will sign agreeing not to sue each other

What kind of document would this be called? A little background: Party#1 is the programmer contracted to help build my website. He has signed an NDA/work for hire. Over the last couple months he...

asked Feb 16 '12 at 10:02
Blank
Kyle Berkley
31 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
7.3K Views
Standard Articles of Incorporation Documents - resources

What are the best incorporation (and related) document resources? Are the YCombinator incorporation docs available? There are a number of 'model' or 'open source' documents for a startup's first...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 15:50
Blank
Chris Busselle
36 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
How do I draft a letter of intent?

I have an idea I am working on that I believe will be useful. I have been told that verbally several times. Rather than spend money on developing it to completion, I want my proposed...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 18:35
Blank
Oo The Nigerian
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.98K Views
What's the best way to get a legit TOS that will hold up?

We're looking for a TOS. We have some options, but I want to make sure it's done right.

asked Jan 18 '12 at 15:48
Blank
Andrew
6 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
13.7K Views
Does a notary public need to understand a document to notarize it?

Part of starting a startup with a foreign partner is notarizing documents. Some documents are in non English language. The documents need to be notarized in the US. I contacted some notaries and...

asked Dec 29 '11 at 11:41
Blank
Tony Henrich
283 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
2.69K Views
Would you sign this liability clause?

I am going to get this checked by a lawyer, but I was wondering if people generally sign a clause like this (as the Contractor)? "The Contractor indemnifies --Company-- for all liability...

asked Dec 7 '11 at 18:11
Blank
Roger
52 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.5K Views
What is the default liability without a contract or clause?

Was just curious about this. With Intellectual Property, if there is no contract and you are a contractor, all the work you create is owned by the creator by default. How does liability work...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 09:51
Blank
Roger
52 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
E-commerce and electronic payment laws. Where can I read them?

As the title says I need to read e-commerce and e-payment related laws of the following countries: Canada, USA, European Union, Philipinnes, South Korea, UK, China. Links are appreciated? My...

asked Nov 25 '11 at 21:04
Blank
Asterisk
116 points