Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

5 Votes
4 Answers
34.4K Views
Is there a Canadian equivalent of an LLC?

I'm looking to register a business name in Canada, however looking at the Revenue Canada web site I believe my only options are to register as either: Sole Proprietorship : Downside here being...

asked Oct 16 '09 at 00:38
Blank
Wally Lawless
126 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
4.12K Views
How do I go about protecting an idea for a simple but novel physical device?

I have an idea for a simple device that addresses a common problem. I'm sure it could be manufactured cheaply and sold for a large margin. I think I have an idea for effective distribution. My...

asked Oct 16 '09 at 11:09
Blank
User900
171 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.53K Views
Could someone help me write a contract

I have started an online take away food ordering website and I am looking to write a contract between me and the restaurants that allow orders on my site. I don't know how much legal stuff I need...

asked Oct 19 '09 at 07:14
Blank
Ddd
116 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.72K Views
What do I need to know and do before I can run a contest on my website

I intend to eventually run a contest as a promo. Specifically, I'd like to do a random drawing of a pool of registered users that meet certain criteria. What legal and tax related concerns do I...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 08:34
Blank
Rob Allen
631 points

5 Votes
9 Answers
5.91K Views
Where can I get free/cheap legal documents?

We're looking to hire our first employee and we want to make sure the employement and stock vesting stuff is all in order - we're in the UK so is it safe to assume that anything we read regarding...

asked Oct 22 '09 at 20:16
Blank
Pclark
744 points

10 Votes
8 Answers
8.55K Views
Contract with co-founder signed before starting startup?

Co-founder is someone we really trust. But still there is a possibility for dispute. Is it better to put everything in writing and sign it before starting startup? Is it worth to pay legal fee...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 23:47
Blank
Web Thinker
430 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
5.16K Views
When is a startup a conflict of interest with existing job?

I want to found a startup that offers library applications using a SaaS model. I also work for a state academic library as a System Analyst / Developer. Would founding such a startup be a conflict...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 00:44
Blank
Brice Stacey
74 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.79K Views
Several web projects with different co-founders under one company

I've been working on several web applications of my own. For each web app I have different co-founders and I own more than 70% of each app. I decided to incorporate a company (in BC, Canada) for...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 05:15
Blank
Boolean
388 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.05K Views
How should the community deal with angels that charge entrepreneurs?

Some angel groups are charging desperate entrepreneurs. Here's what Jason Calacanis has to say about...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 07:30
Blank
Alexandre Gomes
95 points