Marketing Questions

Marketing is the process of communicating the value of a product or service to customers, for the purpose of influencing buyer behavior and/or precipitate behavioral change.

6 Votes
6 Answers
2.96K Views
While the concept of FREE is not taboo, is the word, especially as it relates to promoting on twitter and other marketing collateral?

My company is approximately 1-2 weeks away from launching a major upgrade to our site. The new upgrade contains many valuable features for entrepreneurs and small businesses, however the new...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 09:07
Blank
David Gise
211 points

10 Votes
4 Answers
3.77K Views
Why start a Facebook fan page?

I've long wondered why social marketers are so focused on Facebook fan pages. In much the same way that the AOL Keyword was the flavor of the week years ago; it strikes me as the medium of choice...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 09:22
Blank
Paul O'brien
521 points

6 Votes
11 Answers
3.7K Views
What are the implications of calling your product "beta"?

We have an excellent online application that we've launched. But because we're still fixing some issues it really is still "beta". What are the implications in terms of customer perception,...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 22:45
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.83K Views
Are there any websites for startups that are looking for marketing and sales consultants?

I was wondering if startups don't have the marketing and sales expertise in-house (between the partners) and don't want to hire full-time talent, are there any websites that you can look for them?

asked Oct 22 '09 at 04:09
Blank
Arman Arami
399 points

7 Votes
7 Answers
5.52K Views
Using Facebook Connect - Pros and Cons

is Facebook Connect worth the efforts? any benefits in long term? are there any negative consequences like slow page loads and increased page download times etc? Update: Okay so I just tried...

asked Oct 24 '09 at 04:54
Blank
Arpit Tambi
1,050 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.61K Views
Marketing to a female demographic

I've a product/website in Family/Relationships segment and so far it attracts 80% women and 20% men. Mostly adults(age 25 to 55) actually pay for it. Younger users generally want it "free". I'm...

asked Oct 24 '09 at 05:15
Blank
Arpit Tambi
1,050 points

3 Votes
8 Answers
2.86K Views
When do you start the process of branding your startup?

I was wondering when do entrepreneurs start the process of branding their startups? including figuring their brand personality, brand category and messaging/positioning?

asked Oct 24 '09 at 08:52
Blank
Arman Arami
399 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.93K Views
Creating an affiliate program - Commission Junction? Linkshare?

Anyone ever work with Commission Junction or Linkshare (or others) as an advertiser? I'm looking to set up an affiliate program for my marketplace app. We have the technical skill to implement an...

asked Oct 24 '09 at 22:33
Blank
Micah
880 points

29 Votes
4 Answers
10.4K Views
What are Some of the Most Successful Low Budget Startup Marketing Campaigns You've Seen?

I'm curious if anyone has great examples to share of their own startups or others achieving highly successful and visible media attention, customer attraction or general brand awareness. A few that...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 13:26
Blank
Randfish
1,001 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
Looking for a template for a mentoring or coaching program

I am at a startup and we are looking to bring on board a two interns. One is marketing and the other iPhone Development. Looking for templates or website to help create a mentoring and training...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 10:23
Blank
Derek Beda
221 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.57K Views
Best location for blogging content unrelated to our startup (that our customers care about)

I am creating a blog for our startup, and imagine the blog would be a great place to post on product news, product tips, and our companies attitudes to various technologies and events that are...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 12:47
Blank
Vineet
1,080 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.88K Views
Marketing to enterprise customers

What is the difference between marketing a consumer product and an enterprise product? I have read much of the ISV materials, BTW, thanks to all the legends such as Eric Sink, Bob Walsh, Jason...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 06:27
Blank
Sen
34 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
3.9K Views
How to do you setup a sales funnel?

What resources do you use to create an refine a sales funnel? What techniques do you use to generate leads? What do you do once you get leads to qualify them? Are they standard conversion rates and...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 09:13
Blank
Marcus Mc Connell
21 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
4.27K Views
At what point does one hire a PR agency?

I've long held the opinion that a PR firm is one of the sound, early stage, marketing investments a company can make but that such a firm has to excel at traditional PR as well as managing speaking...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 10:50
Blank
Paul O'brien
521 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.59K Views
When and how often do Startups need to do Press Releases?

At what times do you suggest doing press releases for startups Before a product launch ? After a product launch ? After the customer base has reached a specific number ? When you have new...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 21:48
Blank
Anup
547 points

3 Votes
8 Answers
3.07K Views
Marketing Advice for Solo Startups

I am a full-time web developer and in my spare time I work on a couple different projects. One of them being an ad driven website targeted at college students. iSearchNotes.com is the site and...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 23:44
Blank
Cory Mathews
326 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
2.99K Views
Looking for new ideas on doing Market Research over the internet for free

I have a few ideas for a new startup and I am looking for some ideas on how to Market Research some of the ideas first before I spend more time on a specific one. Any tips, sites, open source...

asked Oct 15 '09 at 03:05
Blank
Brake
106 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
3.97K Views
How much should startups spend on conferences?

We have a few questions here about the conferences worth attending but I'm trying to nail down some conventional wisdom about budgets allocated to conferences. All things considered from merely...

asked Oct 15 '09 at 04:29
Blank
Paul O'brien
521 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.53K Views
Choosing a gift for beta testers

We are almost at the end of a very successful beta phase. Now I want to show my gratitude to best beta testers who helped us. (many of them are potential clients as well ). What do you think would...

asked Oct 15 '09 at 06:04
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
2.86K Views
Looking for a questions and answers site for my company

I am looking for a questions and answers website similar to what is being used here and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations. Some I have seen include http://uservoice.com/ (Even has...

asked Oct 15 '09 at 07:59
Blank
Brake
106 points