Micro Startup Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
1 man coder/designer/marketeer best practice/strategy for launching social network startup?

Is there a best practice roadmap based on proof of concepts methods when you release a webapplication / startup as a 1-man "company" ? There are several options I have been looking at for getting...

asked Feb 24 '12 at 00:05
Blank
Rubytastic
139 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
How to get vendors to be on a coupon site

I'm woking on a startup where we will put coupon codes on our website and in return we will get 3% of the net revenue of that sale. My question is how could I get vendors on this website? I don't...

asked Jan 10 '12 at 11:49
Blank
Ben Thomson
140 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.59K Views
Getting Paid in Equity - what is the simplest way to structure payment for consulting work in equity?

I'm opening a small start-up consulting business and would prefer to be paid in equity. It's unusual, I know, but it's my preference. What is the simplest way to structure an equity-pay...

asked Nov 17 '11 at 04:01
Blank
Justin
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Advice on software startups

Well, I have an idea, which I think it is very cool, and also have potential to package as a service. But it is only the idea, I need a product or service to make a living or earning cash flow,...

asked Nov 22 '11 at 11:50
Blank
Ted Wong
171 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
Choosing between startup, juicy job offering, or both

I'm kind of in the dilemma of choosing between continuing with my startup or accepting a very well paid and intellectually motivating job offering from a multinational company who just opened a...

asked Nov 5 '11 at 15:43
Blank
Anon789789
11 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.4K Views
It's a very new concept and struggling to convince the world in 3 seconds- help?

We have a very unique platform - connecting people by analyzing their wishes, worries, desires & dreams. People are not used to it, but when we speak then people get it. People spend 3 seconds...

asked Oct 5 '11 at 22:44
Blank
Debasish
46 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.67K Views
What is the state of (desktop) micro ISVs in the U.S. now?

I'm interested in understanding the state of what I'll call "desktop micro ISVs" in the U.S. in 2011. By this I mean one-person computer software companies, creating desktop computer software, and...

asked Oct 13 '11 at 12:48
Blank
Chelonian
146 points

0 Votes
5 Answers
2.71K Views
Where to find a part time coder who will code for free with me in return they become a partner?

I am a developer and I have a few ideas for web apps to build which can create revenue. I work full time and can only work on a project in my spare time. Because I am alone, I figured it would take...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 06:28
Blank
Tony Henrich
283 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.06K Views
What advantages do tech startups with tax exempt 501(c)(3) status enjoy beyond tax exemption, if any?

This past March I co-founded a (for-profit) NV corporation, which created a Facebook App in the C2C social gifting space. This software, however, can be used in multiple industries, and I wanted to...

asked Oct 5 '11 at 07:21
Blank
Robert J Valli
6 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
2.59K Views
What are basic steps to creating a simple marketing strategy for a small startup?

I have started a small startup online business. I need to drive traffic to the site and create new users - a classic "inbound marketing" problem. I have seen that people have asked similar...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 19:33
Blank
Slightly Dillusioned Startup Guy
48 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.13K Views
Adding LITE version to current product

I have a web-based service that requires a paid subscription. In fact I have the following subscription levels: 3-day trial 1 month 1 year In my personal opinion, the main value of the service...

asked Sep 19 '11 at 03:39
Blank
Usabilitest
1,698 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.46K Views
Startup Equity Disagreement

I was recently a member of a small startup. I made the mistake of waiting too long before discussing equity/payment. Once we did discuss everything there were many disagreements and I eventually...

asked Sep 1 '11 at 04:48
Blank
George Muresan
8 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.04K Views
Should we purchase Twitter an Facebook followers to show interest?

We have our presentation at startup weekend later today. Is it a recommended strategy to purchase follower lists on our Twitter and Facebook fan page sites to show interest? Or would that be...

asked Aug 14 '11 at 08:30
Blank
Adarsh
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Low Barriers to entry

I am looking to start a service business that has very low barriers to entry and I am concerned with competition. Has anyone had a similar problem or concern? If so, what have you done to overcome...

asked Aug 16 '11 at 09:41
Blank
Grandejessica
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.81K Views
Freelance or Small Startup in germany

I want to open a small company (potentially just Freelance) in germany and am unclear about some of the laws. What i need to know about are billing and tax laws, like how much am i required to pay...

asked Jul 27 '11 at 04:22
Blank
Xyious
133 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
Is it better to pay more up front for a custom coded website, or go with open source CMS?

Is it better to pay more up front for a custom coded website, or go with open source CMS, which is a much more economical alternative. Specifically for this bootstrapped micro startup, there is one...

asked May 11 '11 at 03:15
Blank
Sam
509 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
5.08K Views
How do I price website advertisements?

We want to start selling ad space on our niche website, however are unsure at what factors make up the ad price. We will start offering ad space once we are getting 3k-5k visitors per month. Based...

asked May 6 '11 at 02:54
Blank
Sam
509 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
3.11K Views
Good options for credit card processing

I'm bootstrapping a micro-startup hosting service with very, very little capital. All of my customers will have recurring billing with a possible trial period. Initially I integrated with...

asked Feb 18 '11 at 05:54
Blank
James
139 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Can I publish a website or sell a software product personally?

I am wondering that if I want to publish a website or selling a software product, is it mandatory to register a company? Since website and software can easily sold cross countries boundaries, is...

asked Sep 29 '10 at 23:49
Blank
Byang
130 points

0 Votes
6 Answers
2.25K Views
How to start spread the fire

I've gotten a page up and running. It's some what appealing but not the best in the world. I am wondering how I can start spreading the word, fire, using Facebook. I've gotten the site up, I've...

asked Sep 20 '10 at 04:38
Blank
Bhargav Patel
784 points