Name Questions

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.72K Views
Shortened vs full domain name as primary domain

I'm working for a non-profit company, and I was wondering what your thoughts are on the following options for the primary domain name: thexyzalliance.org txyz.org thexyz.org Originally, I was...

asked Apr 28 '12 at 11:24
Blank
Blacktie24
104 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
When (or if) to trademark your startup name?

We are about to launch our new B2C startup (based in Germany targetting the German-speaking market first, including Germany, Austria, Switzerland), but hopefully later expanding to English-speaking...

asked Apr 22 '12 at 22:55
Blank
Yoav Aner
318 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.51K Views
Semicolon in company name?

I have a great idea for a company name, but it requires the semicolon character ; in order to work. Do you think it would be possible to have a semicolon in the company name? I know...

asked Mar 16 '12 at 01:07
Blank
Eero Heikkinen
118 points

-2 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Do I have to use real personal name when signing checks and/or legal documents for my LLC?

I am starting my own LLC internet-based service business (this will be just a one man shop - me). I would like to try to remain as personally anonymous as possible (not because of anything illegal,...

asked Mar 7 '12 at 12:37
Blank
Kay
9 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.75K Views
Camel notation in company name

The name Microsoft logically consists of two words - micro and soft. On .cn zone sites I often see it written as MicroSoft, and it just looks terrible. I am starting a mobile platform...

asked Feb 25 '12 at 10:08
Blank
Maxim V. Pavlov
217 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
6.9K Views
What is a legal entity, specifically in Apple's terms?

What exactly is a legal entity? I am trying to form a sole-proprietorship company in the state of California. Is this considered a legal entity? How can I set up the name for this company, other...

asked Jan 29 '12 at 15:19
Blank
Crystal
51 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
What actions are associated with registering a company/software name?

I live in Austria, Europe. I am a software developer and I would like to distribute my software under the name of my company. So I consider the following: I might want to register the name for...

asked Jan 23 '12 at 02:38
Blank
Martin
130 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.43K Views
How to handle Cease and Desist from huge company

I'm wondering what, if anything, my company should do about a cease and desist from a huge company. In a nutshell, we received a letter from a senior attorney to "cease any and all use of the trade...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 06:03
Blank
Jamie
128 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.89K Views
DBA for an LLC Name?

Do I need to get a DBA for a LLC because of the short name? For example if the name of the company is MyBook, LLC, do I need to register for as a DBA if I just put "MyBook" as the name of the...

asked Jan 4 '12 at 17:16
Blank
Monty
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.57K Views
The usage of the word Apollo

I'm thinking of starting a small web design company and I want to use the word "Apollo" within it. Is this a word I have to ask permission to use from NASA or something? Especially if I call it...

asked Dec 28 '11 at 14:28
Blank
Michael Rader
118 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.81K Views
Where to buy a reliable .ly domain

Nowadays, it seems a lot of startups use the .ly domain. Is there any suggested registar to buy a .ly domain, that is secure? I heard so many stories about guys that have lost their .ly domain...

asked Dec 7 '11 at 16:12
Blank
Yoga
116 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.4K Views
Is a domain extension like .ch helpful for B2B startup or a gimmick?

My planned company name ends with "ch", - let's say it's "Velocity Reasearch". velocityreseach.com and velocityresear.ch are both available. Is using a TLD like .ch in this way considered a gimmick...

asked Nov 26 '11 at 20:11
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.11K Views
Can I register a domain that includes a registered trademark, such as "firefox-debugger.com"?

I'm planning to build an addon for a platform, can I register a domain name with that platform's name in it? i.e. iphone-flashlight.com firefox-debugger.com search-onstartups.com What do you...

asked Nov 27 '11 at 01:11
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.07K Views
Legal Implications of hosting your website with a hosting company

I'm not sure if my question is a bit paranoid, but still need to at least hear that I am, if so. I am considering starting a little software development company. Initially I want to host a small...

asked Nov 18 '11 at 14:55
Blank
Kunjee
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.59K Views
Should I be weary of naming my business something that may already be registered in the US?

We're based in Canada and are in the process of naming our new business for registration in Canada. We're going to be developing mobile apps. However, we've run into some issues. The name we...

asked Nov 22 '11 at 13:09
Blank
Anon1227
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.32K Views
How to get domain name?

All nice names are already taken. I want to know that if a domain already exists but I attach some character in the beginning/end of the already registered domain name and get registered, is it...

asked Oct 28 '11 at 18:51
Blank
Naveed
108 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
1.85K Views
Name has strange meaning in another language

I came across a somewhat catchy 6 letter name that had a domain still available. I snapped it up but then found out that splitting the name has a meaning in another language that, while not bad, is...

asked Oct 21 '11 at 23:49
Blank
Jesse Vogt
118 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
3.12K Views
What is the difference between company name, brand and trademark?

I have some ideas that I plans to execute later. But for the moment, I want to "secure" the name, logo etc. of the business. I for one cannot seem to figure out the difference between the company...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 05:32
Blank
Sriram
174 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.35K Views
What are good ways to come up with a business name?

I have been working at this non-stop for almost a year now, and I can't come up with any names that aren't taken. At this point, I am exhausted. Does anyone have any ideas for thinking of a name?

asked Sep 7 '11 at 14:43
Blank
Kevin Soviero
180 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
single word names vs multiword names

We are trying to come with some names for our new startup, and wondering if a multiword name is better than a single word names? The startup is going to be focusing on food/cooking. Some of the...

asked Sep 2 '11 at 08:05
Blank
Tehnyit
144 points