Name Questions

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.17K Views
what are the downsides to a nonsensical domain name?

I'm considering starting up a website that I could eventually turn into a business. The domain name that seems most obvious is, naturally, taken. I'm considering going with a non-obvious domain...

asked Aug 14 '11 at 00:25
Blank
Jcollum
111 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.66K Views
If the USPTO website has a trademark as "Dead," can I register it?

I plan to get a trademark registered and I was searching the USPTO website to see if it already taken or not. I figured out the Live/Dead Indicator is "Dead". Does that mean I can get this...

asked Aug 4 '11 at 06:23
Blank
Umair Ashraf
135 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
11.1K Views
Creative software company name suffix

A lot of technology companies, especially non-consumer facing, have a multi-part name. The first part can be almost anything... The last word, or suffix, is a more formulaic noun, common choices...

asked Jun 11 '11 at 03:00
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.3K Views
Does the name matter?

I have already registered a company name but still in the business plan phase. Now after reading some books and answers to a lot of questions on this forum, I realise that maybe I do need a partner...

asked May 30 '11 at 14:11
Blank
I Scotts
152 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.72K Views
Reliability of .me TLD

I would like to start a website with the .me TLD and this domain name should be the brand name as well. But as all .yu domains have been deleted, I'm a bit cautious. Is it safe to register a .me...

asked May 6 '11 at 06:06
Blank
Marco W.
108 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.32K Views
Will people still use my app if I have an alternative spelling for my domain name?

abcTech.com is already taken and I'm thinking about registering abcTek.com. Sites like de.lic.io.us (I don't even know where to put the dots) still succeeded despite their horrible names (or maybe...

asked Mar 10 '11 at 00:44
Blank
Foxatlarge
11 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
3.74K Views
Domain name problem

I am searching for domain name over a week. But all options i have tried bought someone else. And those domain names are not active. They parked somewhere. I am almost out of options. In that case...

asked Mar 10 '11 at 20:09
Blank
Erkan Balaban
160 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.66K Views
choosing the right name for a new product

Do you know any good resources(books, links, courses) from which I can learn how to choose a good name for a new product. This is about marketing I think(but I might be wrong) so I need some...

asked Feb 27 '11 at 03:11
Blank
Dole Doug
141 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
4.06K Views
How do you come up with a decent .com domain name?

It seems every common word or short sequence is owned or parked. Does anyone have any advice for the best way to come up with a decent .com domain name? We are going to launch an HTML5, cloud...

asked Feb 28 '11 at 23:57
Blank
Olib
26 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.07K Views
Registrars - Recommendations

Any recommendations on website registrars? I've used NameZero and Register.com in the past but my domains are just parked. Going to be looking for another domain name soon and wondered if there are...

asked Feb 2 '11 at 13:12
Blank
Steve D
318 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.64K Views
Should startups acquire their two-letter abbreviated domain names early?

In light of facebook's acquisition of fb.com from the American Farm Bureau Federation for $8.5 Million (http://mashable.com/2011/01/12/facebook-paid-8-5-million-to-acquire-fb-com/), do you think...

asked Jan 15 '11 at 20:09
Blank
Henry The Hengineer
4,316 points