Naming Questions

3 Votes
7 Answers
23.7K Views
Help with my company name. What is the difference between 'technology' and 'technologies'?

I am setting up my new startup company. I noticed some company named XXXX technology Inc. and some other named themselves XXXXX technologies Inc. . I would like to name my startup MyCoolName...

asked Oct 21 '10 at 05:15
Blank
Xlione
118 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
6.5K Views
Websites for helping choose a company name?

I found this very cool site that I thought I'd share with the community (I'm not affiliated with them)! http://www.panabee.com/ It helps you word play and create fun domain names... but it hasn't...

asked May 3 '11 at 09:18
Blank
Agile Scout
113 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
Is it ever worth paying money to acquire a domain name for your startup?

The name my cofounder and I would like to use is taken and the current owner quotes us $7000 for the domain name.Is it ever worth for a startup to invest a tidy amount of money like that in a...

asked Jul 23 '14 at 21:40
Blank
John Murray
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
20.4K Views
Why do so many startups use .io domain names?

The only reason I can see is that .com domains for the name you want are hard to come by. Apart from that reason, is there any other benefit to an .io domain? What are the Pros and Cons of using...

asked May 13 '14 at 13:40
Blank
William Cunningham
14 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.38K Views
Changing your startup's name?

How should I go about changing my startup's name? What are some things to keep in mind in terms of marketing and branding?

asked Mar 12 '14 at 08:13
Blank
Robert Thompson
47 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
Where do you go for naming resources help?

We are working on a site which will basically be an event directory/ aggregator for tech and business events, conferences, workshops, etc. Focused on tech events. We don't have the money to...

asked May 16 '10 at 12:08
Blank
Jessica
11 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.57K Views
serious vs fun name for startup

What are the Pros and Cons to each approach? Background: We have developed an pedometer based fundraising model and already have a couple clients. Now we want to begin marketing it to the...

asked Aug 1 '13 at 00:41
Blank
Michael Horwitz
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.06K Views
Is it okay when product name sounds similar the company name ? Company name is XXXX Labs and product name is XXXX?

Is it a good practice ? Or I should think to apply different names for company and its only one (at this time) product ?

asked May 25 '13 at 00:39
Blank
Alexey Grigoryev
62 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.19K Views
Which is the best naming strategy scenario to follow for our startup?

a colleagues and I are trying to find the most appropriate name for our startup, is about software consulting for small companies. We already have established a small company that we deal with web...

asked Feb 8 '13 at 23:25
Blank
Nikolai
125 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
"ABC Consulting" or "ABC Advisory"?

for a firm in the business industry, specifically in strategic management, finance, HR, is there a more suitable word between consulting and advisory? I mean, does "ABC Consulting" have a...

asked Jan 6 '13 at 06:42
Blank
Nikolai
125 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.77K Views
Choosing a domain / app name... What if another company already uses it?

Obviously, you can't use the same name as another BIG, recognizable company. And you also want to avoid trademark issues. But what about these two scenarios: You finally find a domain name and...

asked Jan 9 '13 at 22:29
Blank
Bc Web
101 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
3.41K Views
What do you think about company names that end with Land?

I'm thinking about naming my company (financial services) with a name which ends with "Land". E.g. if I was selling books it would be bookland or aqualand if I sold bottled water. My friend says it...

asked Jan 11 '13 at 17:56
Blank
User22493
6 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.34K Views
.com domain with hyphen or .info without hyphen?

Let's say I have a choice between best-something.com and bestsomething.info, and my website will contain articles how to choose best "something" and reviews of various "something". I read a lot...

asked Dec 7 '12 at 16:04
Blank
Lissanro Rahyen
8 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.2K Views
Risks of naming product in tribute of famous figure

I am considering naming my startup/product in tribute of a famous figure. For the sake of argument, let's say the plan was to name the startup pasteur.com. What are the risks of using a name like...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 09:39
Blank
Ted.Strauss
123 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
How to solicit opinions about my chosen company name

I think that I've found the right company name, but I'm not sure about it. I'll like to hear others opinion, and I don't know how to do it in order to protect the domanin name and to get...

asked Oct 15 '12 at 02:31
Blank
Ctp
14 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
Naming an LLC - conflicting with a service trademark

Possible Duplicate: Somebody got a trademark for a domain I own. I am planning to launch my service in a week I'm looking to name a startup (LLC) with what I think is a cool name. Upon...

asked Sep 27 '12 at 00:13
Blank
Dmitri B
3 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.4K Views
Should the company be named after a product?

I think a lot of people with ideas wonder about this - should they come up with a company name first or figure out the name for a product, get a domain name matching the name and then register a...

asked Jul 24 '12 at 11:46
Blank
Webbie
2,835 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
3.23K Views
Choosing a URL: balancing a bad name with a great URL vs. a great name with a bad URL

Assume I've made a (hypothetical) online game where you equip two cats that rule small feifdoms, and they fight each other. I haven't done this! It's just an example. But say I did this, and I...

asked Aug 2 '12 at 04:39
Blank
Mattshepherd
133 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.24K Views
How much weight should be given to domain and social network name availablility when naming/branding a new business?

Following on from my previous question, how much weight should be given to domain and social network name availability when naming a business? In my case, there are no other business' with the same...

asked Jul 5 '12 at 21:50
Blank
Anonymous
557 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.04K Views
Does creatively naming a product make it look inferior?

I have developed a product and did a basic search for domain names, and to get the domain name I want I will need to more creatively name my product. Does this creative naming turn off some...

asked Jun 23 '12 at 00:51
Blank
Dkroy
130 points