Networking Questions

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
Is looking for a leads person out of the blue really sensible?

I hear startup wannabees talk about how they want to find a leads generator who will find companies and set up meetings. To me that seems too good to be true, like trying to find an Angel/VC who...

asked Jun 9 '11 at 21:30
Blank
John
173 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
3.18K Views
How do you assess the trustworthiness of a contact?

Background My startup is relying heavily on contacts, which I trust. If I improved my way of assessing whether a new contact is trustworthy or not, I believe my startup would be more successful....

asked May 29 '11 at 06:42
Blank
David
1,567 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
3.57K Views
What is the best material to hand out at a conference/networking event besides your business card?

When you go to a networking event or conference, what is the best material to hand out (besides your business card)? A brochure? Flat/Tri-fold, z-fold? Sell sheet? I know for myself a full 8.5 x...

asked May 20 '11 at 06:44
Blank
Richard Des Londe
206 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.93K Views
Best book on Business Networking

I quite admire Dharmesh' networking skills, which is why I thought it would be only appropriate to ask this question on this forum. Which as per you all is the best book on Business Networking...

asked May 23 '11 at 04:22
Blank
Ayush Agrawal
23 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.19K Views
As an European, is it possible to travel to the US on a tourist visa and visit companies to apply for jobs or business assignments in person?

As an European, is it possible to travel to the US on a tourist visa and visit companies to apply for jobs or business assignments in person? I. e. is it possible from a legal perspective, from a...

asked May 13 '11 at 23:52
Blank
Pongy
18 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
When do you start searching for VC's?

I was reading this article on traction and it had an interesting comment in it: If you wait until you're "ready" to fund you're too late. Funding is about developing a relationship over time....

asked Apr 23 '11 at 05:52
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
What questions should a company expect from investors after a pitch competition?

The Northwest Entrepreneur Network's First Look Forum finale is a pitch competition followed by networking. During the competition, companies give a 5-minute presentation covering the basics:...

asked Apr 24 '11 at 02:33
Blank
Jon Pincus
52 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.03K Views
What are some good venues to look for sales & bizdev partner for R&D team located in a remote place?

We're a small team in Ukraine with technical chops hungry for success. Finding a lucrative market niche and attracting real paying customers is a challenge, especially given our remote...

asked Mar 15 '11 at 18:24
Blank
Maxua
155 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
2.33K Views
Where to look for co-founder with marketing skills

I have worked about an year on my startup website and I found that I need co-founder that would be able to sell ice to the eskimo nation online (online: marketing, sale and PR. But more of manager...

asked Mar 16 '11 at 10:13
Blank
Mat Banik
325 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.47K Views
Looking for some general advice, tips and opinions on networking (in real life!) and building contacts

Before I ask my question let me place it in context of where I am right now. About 2 weeks ago, I was driving home from work and was listening to the radio when something the announcer said sparked...

asked Mar 23 '11 at 00:11
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
Concrete examples of _why_ Silicon Valley is best for a startup?

I read here, and in articles elsewhere, about how important it is for a startup to be located in Silicon Valley. But they're all very vague, mentioning "the energy" or "the talent" or...

asked Feb 26 '11 at 20:04
Blank
Sean
134 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.06K Views
Providing free service for exposure/contacts

I'm curious about people's perspectives on providing a free/cheap job in return for exposure/contacts in the early stages. Does it all boil down to how much influence your potential customer has?...

asked Mar 1 '11 at 21:39
Blank
Adrian Gray
133 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
How to answer "How Did You and Your Cofounders Meet?"

At tech events and when talking with investors I'm often asked where myself and my cofounder know each other from. Beyond the obvious, what kind of information are people looking get a better...

asked Feb 11 '11 at 08:37
Blank
Derek Dahmer
306 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.96K Views
How to Meet Startup Entrepreneurs in Austin, Texas?

Can any Austinites recommend good networking events for meeting other startup entrepreneurs? The TechRanch looks promising - what else should I check out? I'll be in Austin soon and would like to...

asked Jan 19 '11 at 10:12
Blank
Brandon King
959 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.28K Views
Precautions to take while getting to know people?

A friend of mine has a startup. I introduce him to people at times, and he's got contacts who are useful to me too. When meeting up with such contacts, what precautions could we follow or how can...

asked Jan 21 '11 at 00:35
Blank
Nav
113 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.51K Views
The network effect: your best friend - your worst enemy

The network effect is the thing that makes certain products or services useless until everybody is on board. But once everybody is on board then said product or service becomes very useful. Case...

asked Dec 10 '10 at 03:34
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
1.4K Views
Looking for a social network to deploy my concept

I have (yet another) concept for social media (don't worry, it's cooler than all the other ones). And I am looking for ideas about where to deploy it first. The market group is 18-35 yr olds who...

asked Dec 13 '10 at 07:04
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.73K Views
How do I approach a large business to sell them my product?

How should I approach selling a niche product or service to a large company? Do I use the "contact form" on their website? Do I call and ask to speak to a business team or salesperson?

asked Nov 21 '10 at 09:34
Blank
Moshe
409 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
What term is the business world equivalent to the term “social media”? (Or help us coin the term right here!)

My business will provide an automated “tool” that can be used as part of the pre-sales/pre-purchase process. A by-product of using this tool is the creation of a network of buyers and sellers. (In...

asked Nov 25 '10 at 01:56
Blank
Cesel
128 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
establishing contacts with other professionals/entrepreneurs from the field

Usually behind the successfull business stands the team of experts from several domains (software, marketing, finance...). In the past I've had some ideas which I still believe could be a story of...

asked Oct 24 '10 at 09:19
Blank
Niko
128 points