Open Source Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
Start an Open Source Development

I am a freelance developer and I basically develop ERP, graphics software, components, web and other such things. I always thought about an open source development of the software that I basically...

asked Jan 4 '11 at 04:43
Blank
Vinod Maurya
123 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
3.7K Views
Advantages and Disadvantages of Making Source Code Public

I like the idea of open source collaboration and making our code for our application we are building public on github. This would allow people to give their input and even allow certain parts of...

asked Jan 11 '11 at 07:25
Blank
User6488
31 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
3.25K Views
Where can I propose an open source project and collaborate on software requirements before starting to code?

I'm searching for a website to start a new open source project--I want to start the developing of a "Sport Training Log". I have some software development skills, but not everything I need (I...

asked Dec 20 '10 at 21:24
Blank
Boos
111 points

9 Votes
7 Answers
3.17K Views
How to turn a WordPress plugin into a business?

Over the past two years, I've developed a relatively successful WordPress plugin. It started out as a hobby project, but now I'd like to try and turn it into a business. About the plugin Checks...

asked Dec 3 '10 at 04:03
Blank
Janis Elsts
146 points

13 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
"What if you get hit by a bus?"

I'm negotiating a B2B licensing deal for some technology. I typically license it as a managed service, and don't share code, because I want to protect trade secrets. A new potential client is...

asked Dec 3 '10 at 12:21
Blank
John
96 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
How did Magento create an commercial Enterprise version when magento is open source?

It's interesting how an open source product has a commercial version, nice business strategy to get market penetration! How did Magento create an commercial Enterprise version when magento is open...

asked Oct 19 '10 at 01:04
Blank
Blankman
131 points

6 Votes
8 Answers
6.6K Views
CMS for online magazine startup?

I want to start an online magazine website and I'd like to know what platform to use. Something like Wordpress, Drupal, and other CMS systems, any recommendations?

asked Sep 22 '10 at 23:54
Blank
Alexandru Trandafir Catalin
157 points

8 Votes
8 Answers
3.48K Views
Make my failed Web application open source?

I've outsourced the creation of Web Spy Pro (www.webspypro.com) last year. It's a Webanalytics software that record/play the visitor mouse movements, so you can see exactly what visitors are doing...

asked Jul 15 '10 at 05:10
Blank
Dennis
176 points

9 Votes
4 Answers
3.22K Views
Making money out of a free and open-source application

I've been working on a free and open-source wiki application since 2006 (that's 4 years!), and now my startup has taken over the development. Well, at least "officially". We make several thousands...

asked Apr 5 '10 at 23:17
Blank
Deleted
655 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
1.77K Views
Getting people involved in product design and development

I still don't get the behavior or motivation behind people developing pieces for your game(software) for free... why would anybody do that?

asked Apr 10 '10 at 22:05
Blank
Raed
101 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.55K Views
What does it mean to "open the platform"

Sorry for asking such a simple question, but what does it mean to opensource a platform?

asked Feb 25 '10 at 06:57
Blank
Raed
101 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.33K Views
Sponsorship of an open source project, how much to charge?

I have a reasonably successful open-source project ( www.mediabrowser.tv ). The website is seeing over 50K unique visitors a month. I would like to monetize some of this traffic by offering a...

asked Feb 17 '10 at 15:00
Blank
Sam Saffron
432 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.73K Views
Is opensourcing your product a good strategy?

Many companies going to the opensource route these days. Jetbrains is one example of a company that opensourced their well reknown IntelliJ IDEA after been commercializing it. Some company has...

asked Dec 23 '09 at 10:12
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
6.4K Views
Can you modify code under the MIT Open Source licence?

I'm considering building an community over Pinax. The out-of-the-box functionality covers maybe 60% of what we need to do. We're more than happy to debug and support the base code set but need to...

asked Dec 11 '09 at 17:53
Blank
Puk
81 points