Outsourcing Questions

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.33K Views
How to outsource (website) translation effectively?

my website should be multi language, but every native speaker can see in the first sentences that the translation (by us) is not good enough. So I have two possibilities: Let a native speaker...

asked Feb 18 '10 at 23:52
Blank
Steffen Binas
116 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.59K Views
Technology cofounder vs outsourcing

I plan to start an innovative e-commerce service on mobile and web. I have the idea and industry knowledge, but very basic technical knowledge (hardware, software etc). I decided to find a...

asked Jan 25 '10 at 23:55
Blank
Startupmantra
60 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.93K Views
When starting out, is it better to hire a freelance designer or a studio?

I'm in the midst of figuring out what designer to use to help with my website design, as it's currently just "programmer art". From people that have started websites/web applications before, based...

asked Feb 1 '10 at 14:36
Blank
Daemin
323 points

9 Votes
10 Answers
5.93K Views
Build in-house or outsource?

I'm working with a SaaS business with a non-technical founder/CEO and am looking for pros and cons for (1) building the software in-house vs (2) outsourcing version 1.0 to a consulting firm. From...

asked Jan 8 '10 at 07:39
Blank
Torrie
230 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.3K Views
Why is 1:1 copy of a site so cheap?

I have a 100 pages site written in 15 languages to replicate from one CMS (now discredited with the customer) over to SiteCore - which on the face of it offers many great features. The UX is to...

asked Jan 16 '10 at 05:09
Blank
Puk
81 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.43K Views
Outsourcing marketing

As a (soon to be) solo developer, I'm not an expert in marketing. Do companies exist who I could partner with to market my app, on a profit-sharing basis?

asked Jan 6 '10 at 08:20
Blank
Macca
131 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
5.03K Views
Feedback on Build-Operate-Transfer Outsourcing Model

Our company is investigating a couple of outsourcing companies and operating models and one that we're starting to lean towards is the Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) model with a firm that has some...

asked Dec 12 '09 at 02:06
Blank
Phil R
81 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
Should I go to a web design company to build a Facebook app?

I'm currently designing a streaming music application for Facebook that will be built in Flash. In Photoshop, I've designed it to be exactly how I want it to look and have every feature I can think...

asked Dec 13 '09 at 08:18
Blank
Travis
26 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.81K Views
Legal document checklist (NDA, ...) when hiring part-time developers abroad?

I'm currently hiring some part-time developer abroad and wanted to make sure that I made them sign all the needed legal documents. So, normally in those cases, what would you make those future...

asked Dec 14 '09 at 15:59
Blank
Gommm
265 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
3.23K Views
Can mistakes be made because you are too close to your own product?

I am a web developer and designer, and am working on a business plan and essentials for a new product. After spending some time working on a logo for my product, I came to the conclusion that my...

asked Dec 15 '09 at 07:18
Blank
Strozykowski
218 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.03K Views
Where to find talented graphics designers? How much should I expect to pay?

I am looking to create a clothing line, and know exactly the style I want, how the graphics should look, etc...the problem is while I have plenty of vision, I do not have the ability to translate...

asked Dec 3 '09 at 03:59
Blank
Ryan
40 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.68K Views
Order fulfillment by a service other than Amazon?

My product will be produced by a 3rd party manufacturer, and I am not overly keen to rent my own warehouse/hire a staff for order fulfillment (at least until we begin to scale). We will be selling...

asked Dec 4 '09 at 05:02
Blank
Ryan
40 points

7 Votes
12 Answers
4.97K Views
How much should I expect to pay for design work?

I received a quote for design work for my web / iPhone startup - it was quite a bit higher than what I expected, but I wanted to check if my expectations are off. The quote is from an overseas...

asked Nov 10 '09 at 08:33
Blank
Joe
298 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.5K Views
How do I turn a word doc into a polished looking guide / ebook?

I have a 20ish page guide in a word doc that I want laid out as a polished looking pdf, with a table of contents and nice headers /footers/ margins/ headings/ subheadings and fonts . I want it...

asked Nov 14 '09 at 13:57
Blank
Adam
446 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.82K Views
CrowdSourcing Publicity and finding the traditional media stories for small business

Where can I brainstorm to find (Different, Emotive, and Simple) stories about my small business in order to craft messages that will catch the attention of traditional media? Where do freelance...

asked Oct 30 '09 at 23:39
Blank
Jeffrey Hicks
313 points

2 Votes
10 Answers
3.82K Views
How do I find an extremely low-cost graphics designer?

I need a flyer designed for a party. I know about crowdspring.com for graphic design, but they have a minimum of $300 award per design, and I'm only looking to spend $50-$100 - it's a simple...

asked Oct 17 '09 at 14:22
Blank
Tiana
46 points

4 Votes
8 Answers
3.14K Views
How much do you trust cloud services / outside hosts with proprietary info?

I've long been of the opinion that the core assets of a software company (e.g. source code and any system that touches it, continuous integration environments, internal wikis containing...

asked Oct 23 '09 at 13:57
Blank
Cemerick
123 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.02K Views
Your experiences outsourcing product fulfillment?

I am looking for feedback from people who outsource their product fulfillment on the pros and cons of their service providers! I think the information will be helpful to the community. What should...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 00:01
Blank
Brian Schoenbaechler
38 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.28K Views
How does one find an illustrator?

On one hand we have designers readily available, people we can hire to create something with direction or concepts already available. On the other hand, we have sites like 99 Designs and...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 10:26
Blank
Paul O'brien
521 points

12 Votes
8 Answers
3.83K Views
Tips for running a virtual office

Having a virtual company empowers you to hire talent anywhere in the world and manage a team of employees using the wonders of modern technology. I have personally worked this way since January and...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 11:49
Blank
Dlynton
1,057 points