Patent Questions

7 Votes
6 Answers
13.5K Views
How Do I Prevent Someone From Stealing My Idea On KickStarter

I have a great idea for a new product and I am thinking about launching it on Kickstarter, but I have one major problem. I am afraid that someone will steal my product and/or accuse me of stealing...

asked Jan 31 '13 at 07:27
Blank
Annonomus Person
204 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.05K Views
Low cost way of filing a patent?

Is there an inexpensive way of filing a patent? We talked to a couple of lawyers and the cost to file a patent is hovering around the $20K range. Is that normal? It seemed absurd at first, until...

asked Jun 20 '14 at 14:42
Blank
Gary Russell
12 points

5 Votes
9 Answers
33K Views
Making money from Improving existing products

If I come up with an improvement to an existing product, how do I protect myself when sharing it, and get some of the revenues the idea generates? There are many times when I look at an existing...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 16:10
Blank
Ron Ga
2,181 points

12 Votes
2 Answers
4.69K Views
What happens when a UK company infringes a US patent?

I'm a one man startup with a high price, low volume, niche software product that I'm considering selling in the US. However, I'm concerned that it may infringe a US patent without me knowing...

asked Mar 14 '11 at 18:14
Blank
Steven F
66 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
2.55K Views
Good starting place to finding and defining entrepreneur track

I am looking for some reading, either internet articles, books, blogs or experiences to expand my awareness to build an entrepreneur track. My natural assets are gifted intelligence very high...

asked Nov 26 '13 at 08:40
Blank
Kapish M
134 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
6.79K Views
How long after employment termination is it OK to file the patent for an idea being developed after leaving employer?

An idea came to me while I was employed. The idea is within my broader field of expertise, but completely unrelated to the projects I was doing for my employer. I started working on the idea after...

asked Sep 13 '13 at 08:20
Blank
D. Terry
16 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.57K Views
Using OSS libraries in my product - will that protect from patent litigation?

I am working on an innovative product that uses a GNU GPL licensed library and per GPL needs open-source my work as well. Could that protect me from patent litigation? I am worried since my former...

asked Sep 2 '13 at 12:52
Blank
Gupshup
52 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Patent assignment form ? how important is it?

Hi fellow entrepreneurs, I am the person who posted this question about a conflict with my co-founder. During discussion with my attorney, I discovered that while we filed for the patents (earlier...

asked Aug 23 '13 at 02:58
Blank
Gupshup
52 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
Is there any way to protect a gamification/human-computing application/service (like reCaptcha) from being copied?

I have an idea for a gamification/human-computing application/service which can be used to solve an AI-hard problem more efficiently, like reCaptcha. I can build and promote it, but I'm worried...

asked Jul 26 '13 at 22:06
Blank
User27171
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.54K Views
If someone has a very similar name, can I get a trademark?

I am developing a web site with an idea that it would be a networking platform for small companies. I have registered the name (Let's call it www.merchandiize.com for now...), however I have...

asked May 19 '13 at 00:40
Blank
Disconnect25
16 points

12 Votes
1 Answers
2.53K Views
There's a troll in my space - now what?

I've spent the last 3 months full-time building an alpha version of a web app, and developing a business plan for it. The alpha version is ready to launch. Recently I've stumbled upon the fact that...

asked Apr 15 '13 at 05:45
Blank
Amindfv
186 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
1.7K Views
a problem on applying for patent

I'm in the process of applying for patent where I work. I'm an engineer. I prepare for applying for patent with some idea. Decisions are made that my idea could be a patent. So company give a work...

asked Apr 19 '13 at 14:19
Blank
User1060039
26 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
3.51K Views
UK Startup dealing with US Software Patents

As the owner of a UK software company, I'd like to finish a SaaS application I've had in development for a while and sell it as a monthly subscription service. The software could be sold...

asked Feb 5 '13 at 01:16
Blank
Mike H
46 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.86K Views
Does the internet count as prior art for fending of a patent troll?

We have been building and running a software company since 2009. Today I spoke to someone on the phone who claims to have a patent on the area we work in since 2010. I can find a few examples of...

asked Jan 24 '13 at 14:15
Blank
Richard
113 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.06K Views
provisional patent application

I submitted a provisional patent application from an foreign country to the USPTO a few months ago. I researched and found out my idea worth a non-provisional patent application. (I made it...

asked Jan 8 '13 at 18:30
Blank
John
26 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
3.71K Views
How do I know if I am infringing on a Copyright or Patent?

Im looking to create a small start up at home making bicycle accessories but I have no clue if I would be infringing on any copyright and or patents in doing so. How Do I know if my Company name...

asked Dec 27 '12 at 12:39
Blank
User22258
31 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.77K Views
How to find out if a particular feature one is using is patented?

I have been searching around a lot on this topic, but did not find a single source of correct information. How can one find out if a particular feature one is using in one of its products is...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 19:32
Blank
Ashwin Singh
108 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Guideline for self-filing a provisional patent application

I'm looking to file a provisional patent application in Canada and the US. From what I've been told, the process is not easily out-sourceable, and I'm on a shoestring startup budget. I would like...

asked Oct 19 '12 at 01:59
Blank
Blueberryfields
426 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
Canadian patent law and "filing date" - what exactly is the benefit of having a "priority date"?

According to the Canadian patent info site, here, a patent application can claim a priority date of a previous patent, filed in Canada or in a country with an appropriate treaty, as long as the...

asked Oct 19 '12 at 03:07
Blank
Blueberryfields
426 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
What things an entrepreneur should get copyrighted before approaching VCs

What things can be copyrighted of a startup before approaching VCs? I have a very fast growing online venture for which I am going to approach VCs. But I want to make sure they can't use my idea...

asked Sep 22 '12 at 23:24
Blank
Sourabh
288 points