Patent Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
Dealing with Similar Patents

What are some guidelines or tests I can use to figure out if I have a chance at getting patent for an idea when there are similar, but not identical, patents out there? I don't know how to best...

asked Nov 11 '11 at 06:19
Blank
Chris M
116 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.49K Views
Can prior art invalidate existing patents?

Let's imagine a patent has been issued by the USPTO in 2008. However, in 2010, someone discovers the invention has already been mentioned in a book in 2005. For the sake of the argument, let's...

asked Oct 8 '11 at 21:39
Blank
J Verstry
152 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.26K Views
How do I protect my idea before launching my web-service?

I have a unique idea about a web-service. How do I protect against duplicating my idea before launching? I'm afraid I'd end up rivaling against massive number of competitors like Groupon does...

asked Oct 11 '11 at 11:34
Blank
Moe Sweet
141 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.11K Views
What happens if someone fails to patent?

I was shocked to see that www.spypig.com patents are not found in patent search and my friend patented that procedure as his idea and submitted and received the patent rights. Now can he send a...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 19:07
Blank
Gimp
427 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.09K Views
Can I patent something like this?

Assume there is no one doing type as you search. And I am the first one to do it, can I patent this application? If not, please explain. Thank you.

asked Sep 18 '11 at 16:14
Blank
Ted Wong
171 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
4.96K Views
Does the eBay patent prohibit other websites from doing simple online auctions?

Patent 7,702,540 (2-19-1999) was finally awarded to eBay after 11 years. It reads: Computer-implement method and system for conducting auctions on the internet Abstract Methods and...

asked Sep 19 '11 at 10:39
Blank
Pete Alvin
126 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.21K Views
Am I committing patent infringement if the function is the same but construction is different?

I know there are other products out there similar to the one my partner and I are working on. We are a new start up and want to be sure that we don't get into any trouble in the future by stepping...

asked Sep 6 '11 at 00:31
Blank
Mike Serpe
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
I'm afraid someone's patenting my ideas

I had a brainstorming session with a friend a year and a half ago, and a lot of great ideas came out of it. I moved on the ideas, starting a company - our product has been on the market for about...

asked Sep 9 '11 at 03:24
Blank
Riley
193 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
How Should I Deal With Intellectual Property

Intellectual property is a subject that has far reaching implications for your business. There are several different types of intellectual property that every business deals with. They include:...

asked Jul 27 '11 at 22:24
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Avoiding patent litigation by only operating in Europe

Software patents are a hell hole in the US and we want to get out of it by operating (at least initially) in Europe. If a US company only operates in Europe (say this is a web app) would we still...

asked Jul 31 '11 at 05:44
Blank
Ntkachov
116 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
Question on patents and copycats

I have a question regarding patents: Why is no one allowed to do the same, like for example the concept of groupon? (there are many competitors like gonabiit or tippr )There are many social dating...

asked Jun 25 '11 at 11:09
Blank
Tahnoon
11 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.98K Views
How to protect yourself against the unethical business practices of a competitor like Nuance Communications?

I plan on working in the pattern recognition software industry. Some research into this industry led me to read about a company called “Nuance Communication.” According to this techcrunch article,...

asked Jun 14 '11 at 04:28
Blank
Amichai
241 points

8 Votes
1 Answers
2.59K Views
How do I know if I am infringing on a technology patent?

I want to create an app for the Ipad which uses "videoconferencing" technology, very similar to what skype does. How do I know if that is patented? What happens if it IS patent protected and I...

asked Jun 15 '11 at 08:45
Blank
Jonestech
41 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
Getting Clearance Opinion on Software Related Patents

We're in the process of designing a web application and discovered a patent that lays claim to many basic web technologies that we are planning to use (like passing simulation data from a server to...

asked Jun 17 '11 at 05:55
Blank
Neo
24 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
How to monetize patents?

Suppose your company has developed a lot of patents to defend itself from being sued. Company A is sued by company B for infringement of its patents. Company B's patents are invalidated by the...

asked Jun 19 '11 at 10:15
Blank
User48956
119 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.42K Views
Patent on Social Network

I have an idea for a social network site. I know Facebook has many patents and I'm afraid of violating one of some of them. I'm not located in the US, main questions: Do you think I should talk...

asked Jun 5 '11 at 04:44
Blank
Daniel
24 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
6.03K Views
How do these sites get away with infringing Elance's patent?

I know you all aren't patent lawyers but maybe I am missing something obvious? How do these sites get away with breaking Elance's patent U.S. Patent 7,069,242 [guru, scriptlance, vworker,...

asked Jun 8 '11 at 08:47
Blank
James
29 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.48K Views
Will employer invest in my idea?

Let me describe a situation I happened to be in by now several times. I work in the field of detector/electronics/imaging systems development. I often get some new technical ideas and solutions,...

asked May 23 '11 at 02:26
Blank
Nick
6 points

7 Votes
1 Answers
2.64K Views
Intellectual Property Suicide Pill

I'm planning a new software company that will license software to businesses. A lot of R&D will be needed to create the software and indeed, our codebase will be our biggest asset....

asked May 14 '11 at 22:48
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.39K Views
What kind of software can be patented?

I've heard that only algorithms that are "non-obvious" can be patented. What does this mean? Can someone give me examples of software that is patentable and software that is not?

asked Apr 25 '11 at 06:29
Blank
Abe Miessler
264 points