Piracy Questions

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Does uploading music files from the hard disk of a user to a music player app illegal?

I was just thinking of building a web app(for learning purposes) that would let users upload their music files on to a server and then create playlists that could be heard from anywhere in the...

asked Feb 3 '13 at 04:50
Blank
Karthik Kannan
156 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
How can startups protect their technology from being copied by the companies assembling it?

How can a startup protect their technology from being copied by a manufacturer? Is it just a matter of contracts and trust? For example, Apple doesn't assemble iPads. How do they prevent their...

asked May 26 '12 at 11:13
Blank
Ed Pichler
201 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
Is there a way to protect my software EXTENSION of an Adobe design product from piracy?

What we are doing at the moment is asking companies how many users they have on site and charging them per user, and then emailing them the extension. The problem is that there is currently...

asked Dec 28 '11 at 06:09
Blank
Mitya
8 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
Offering software without any DRM / hardware locking - negative consequences and how to avoid them

Let me be the first to play the part of Mr Obvious and state that any DRM can be broken. (I expect the usual amount of upvotes for that) Now, what are the pros of offering a software without...

asked Nov 14 '11 at 23:33
Blank
User9982
206 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
How to protect your digital assets for a server based software when your software is installed within a third party Data centre

We have developed a software which is server installable and is accessed by browser. We have just got our first large client which wants to use it, but wants to install it within their data center,...

asked Jul 28 '10 at 17:39
Blank
Shabda
159 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.38K Views
How do you discourage piracy of your software or IP?

We're reviewing/exploring anti-piracy measures for a new software product. There is a desktop and a web component. What tactics are you using to prevent/discourage piracy of your software and IP?

asked Feb 19 '10 at 08:08
Blank
Keith De Long
5,091 points