Project Management Questions

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.03K Views
Code Review & System (Re)Architecture

I've recently been brought on with a small startup to serve as their technical advisor to a group of developers offshore. The product is an ASP .NET WebForms application. One of my first tasks was...

asked Jun 29 '11 at 01:24
Blank
Yuck
257 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.87K Views
Are processes and procedures only for enterprises?

I've had the opportunity to work at quite a few startups. One thing I've to be common in them is adhoc way of doing things and ignorance towards processes, best practices and known project...

asked May 18 '11 at 14:57
Blank
Hasan Khan
118 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
2.98K Views
FREE, ultra-simple online project management tools

I am looking to set up a project management tool to keep track of bugs, and project tasks. Is there any such thing out there which is completely free? Thanks!

asked May 8 '11 at 10:25
Blank
Genadinik
1,821 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Project In A Week / development bootcamp

Our team is thinking of doing a "Project In A Week" (bootcamp), and I'm interested to know if anyone else has experience of doing this or has any advice? The idea behind it is to get away from the...

asked Mar 25 '11 at 02:21
Blank
Tim S
111 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
Putting limits to technical support for software services, is it good?

I have recently established a company to sell ecommerce software as SaaS. There are some leads that request proposals from me. I am in a dilemma. There are two risks that I want to avoid: I want...

asked Jan 28 '11 at 20:00
Blank
Mert Nuhoglu
116 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
Looking for advice about a system that helps us inform the client about hours worked and project status

As a startup we have few clients who are billed on time/hour basis and some on the percentage of project completed basis. Now regarding the reporting to the client as of now we were following the...

asked Jan 14 '11 at 07:35
Blank
Beginning Steps
50 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.13K Views
What should I be responsible for as the first developer in a large scale web project?

I am the first developer in a large scale web project, in the real estate sector. I am not an expert in any field, I know the basic of all, programming, databases, something about design and a...

asked Nov 10 '10 at 23:12
Blank
Alexandru Trandafir Catalin
157 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
2.4K Views
What Is The Best Way to Manage An International Startup?

My startup has employees who are in different places at different times. What is the best way to manage and to centralise files, emails, communications, ...? Would the web be the best place to start?

asked Oct 6 '10 at 11:51
Blank
Jfw
150 points

7 Votes
7 Answers
2.71K Views
For mISVs that have a day job. How do you balance the effort with work, family and other obligations?

In the beginning there are so many things to do and so many paths that can take you off focus then add in that because you are a bootstrap and not willing to do a leap of faith your having trouble...

asked Jun 16 '10 at 08:13
Blank
John Bogrand
2,210 points

-1 Votes
5 Answers
1.74K Views
As a consultant, what do you do if part of your new assignment requires expertise you don't have?

Tell the client openly and decline to take on the job or just accept parts of the job? Or say nothing and quietly outsource to another consultancy?

asked Jul 12 '10 at 19:14
Blank
Tatiana Andrushko
16 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.4K Views
Project Accounting Software for an Ad Agency?

I am working with a startup ad agency that has some very large clients for some large, complex projects. Many of their projects are subcontracted to other vendors and to crowdsourcing platforms,...

asked May 21 '10 at 07:16
Blank
Jim Shook
417 points

9 Votes
15 Answers
4.66K Views
Time Tracking tool?

Any recommendations for a simple (web) tool where team members can submit their hours worked? Ideally, we'd like the team member to be able to login, select the project they are working on and...

asked Jun 7 '10 at 08:23
Blank
Big Tuna
349 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.8K Views
How to trust web developers when hiring?

We're hiring this amazing guy to build our website. I do trust him, sort of. But, is that enough? Is that all I can do? (find someone you trust) We'll be telling him each and every detail here.

asked Feb 24 '10 at 01:41
Blank
Raed
101 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.17K Views
Time Keeps On Slippin...So Stop Already!

As an entrepreneur, I'm always looking for ways to use my time more efficiently. Several years ago I took a time management course while working on my dissertation in which the primary message was...

asked Mar 2 '10 at 03:56
Blank
Fractal Guy
254 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.15K Views
OmniPlan as a hosted app?

I'm a huge fan of OmniPlan for my development planning. It lets me set up my tasks, gantt chart them, measure resources, get a rough idea of how long things are going to take, and it's very...

asked Feb 6 '10 at 11:51
Blank
Sbwoodside
186 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
4.5K Views
How to make decisions with a lack of information?

Sometimes decisions are hard to make because of a lack of information or a crystal ball. The advice I've heard is that the important thing is to make a decision at all. The worse someone can do is...

asked Jan 19 '10 at 10:39
Blank
Wilhelm
113 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.98K Views
How do I manage my time as my startup grows?

I am in between blogging daily and running a new expansion to the blog where we expanded into a new social network, this means managing features, launches, marketing, PR etc. what are the best...

asked Dec 11 '09 at 15:25
Blank
User1875
76 points

2 Votes
8 Answers
3.01K Views
Approaching Programming/Project Managemenet from a non-technical perspective?

I recently asked a question of should I start dabbling into programming or should I stick to what I am good at: Sales, Marketing, Planning, Presentations, etc. The feedback was overwhelmingly...

asked Oct 30 '09 at 22:35
Blank
Jaret Manuel
76 points

13 Votes
21 Answers
6.7K Views
Project management software

My, to put it mildly, understaffed and overworked startup is trying hard to not reinvent the wheel and outsource as much tasks as possible. So we are currently on the look out for a great project...

asked Oct 11 '09 at 06:09
Blank
Slav Ivanov
1,146 points