Salary Questions

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.01K Views
Should I, as the founder of a company, have to draw a minimum wage?

I have started a company with 2 other co-founders in the US and own 40% of the company. I am the only employee on record as the CEO of the company. My lawyer insists that I should draw a minimum...

asked Dec 6 '12 at 03:47
Blank
Edupreneur
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
11.4K Views
Can you pay yourself a small salary from money raised on Kickstarter?

If you raise a small amount of money (under $50K) on Kickstarter for a product you want to build, can you pay yourself a small salary along the way? I am quitting my day job to focus on this...

asked Jun 6 '14 at 16:58
Blank
Mary Pritchett
17 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.84K Views
If a candidate's first question is about salary, is that a potential red flag?

During an interview, when asking candidates if they have any questions, if they first question they ask is about their salary, is that a negative?Would be an indication that they haven't bought...

asked Aug 4 '14 at 13:58
Blank
Alvin Smith
14 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.33K Views
What's a good salary for a Ruby on Rails developer in Silicon Valley? Given the high cost of living there.

I'm moving my two-person startup to San Francisco and looking to hire a Rails engineer there.Given how expensive the cost of living is there, what is a decent salary for a full-time, intermediate...

asked Jun 12 '15 at 13:55
Blank
Robert Cooperman
12 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
9.39K Views
Can you pay employees with a credit card? (not contractors)

Is there a way to pay employees' salary with a credit card? It's not because our startup is in trouble or anything. I figured this would be a great way to earn points on the card, which can then be...

asked May 22 '14 at 16:55
Blank
Thomas Evans
17 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
4.06K Views
Average salary of a seed stage funded founder?

Assuming a startup raised a round smaller than $500K, what should the founder's salary be? The startup is located in San Francisco, so the cost of living is pretty high. Would angel investors be...

asked May 22 '14 at 12:57
Blank
Sylvia Rubio
12 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
4.57K Views
Bootstrapping: should you pay yourself a salary or reinvest all profits back into the business?

Lets say you are bootstrapping your startup and generating a little revenue. Should you use that revenue to first pay yourself a salary or should all of the profits be re-invested back to fuel growth?

asked May 21 '14 at 16:42
Blank
David Thornhill
17 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.3K Views
Product manager salary higher or lower as compared to software engineers?

I'm a software engineer looking to move into a product manager role. Is the salary as of a product manager higher or lower as compared to software engineers?

asked Mar 11 '14 at 14:53
Blank
Edward Glenn
5 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
Employee sign-on bonuses? Do new hires expect one as norm?

I read an article that Facebook gives some newly graduated engineers a $100K sign on bonus! Are sign-on bonuses, not necessarily the crazy amount FB offers, becoming the norm to hire skilled...

asked Feb 18 '14 at 18:31
Blank
Rodney
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.01K Views
Company getting acquired: would they keep salaries the same? Or re-evaluate everyone?

The startup I'm working for is likely to get acquired shortly. We get paid above market rates and it has been one of the reasons for low attrition here.Would an acquirer lower everyone's salary to...

asked Mar 3 '14 at 23:53
Blank
Clarine Nordberg
40 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
25K Views
Someone in HR leaked my salary over lunch. Now my team knows that I make 3x they do. What to do?

I work at a small startup (~30 people) and the woman that is responsible for recruiting apparently told my salary to someone while having lunch (I don't know to who).Now my department knows that I...

asked Mar 3 '14 at 20:06
Blank
Esther Rooker
80 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.7K Views
Standard yearly raise to give to engineers?

A couple of questions regarding base annual raises: What would you suggest is a typical yearly salary increase for engineers in the bay area? Should you make it standard for the entire tech...

asked Feb 9 '14 at 15:53
Blank
Sofine HÃ¥konsen
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.46K Views
Publicize employee salaries like Buffer, good or bad?

I came across an article about a company (Buffer) that made salaries of all employees public in order to be more transparent. What are the benefits of doing that?

asked Feb 17 '14 at 11:13
Blank
Marlon Wheeler
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.99K Views
Cofounder on a salary

I'm looking for a startup opportunity in London. I was given an offer to be a startup cofounder. B2B app for finance market. The team will be me an a business guy. He is giving all the money for...

asked Nov 16 '13 at 03:00
Blank
Lukas
110 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.66K Views
How do you decide what salary to pay employees or partners when you first profit?

Suppose there is a situation like this: There are 3 people in a startup, the CEO, a partner, and an investor (very small angel). The investor does no work but has 7.5% equity and 7.5% net profit...

asked Nov 24 '13 at 09:06
Blank
Goose
16 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
6.15K Views
Attrition in the company (employees leaving for 20% more salary) - Suggested strategies?

We are a 4 year old startup and are facing few issues (not yet major) with regards to attrition. We have been of the opinion that if we keep paying the employees as per the market standards and...

asked Oct 8 '13 at 15:29
Blank
Nitin Srivastava
171 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.93K Views
How much salary and equity to ask for CTO?

I am recently approach by one start up company CEO to work for him as CTO. There will be 3 person in team,CEO,CTO,CFO. My responsibilities in company would be to look after all such tech. part and...

asked Sep 26 '13 at 06:09
Blank
Daniel
13 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
Typical billable efficiency for a web programmer?

Out of a 40-hour work week, how many hours of actual productive work is reasonable for me to expect from a salaried web developer? (low-high range?) In our case, productive work means billable work...

asked Aug 16 '13 at 01:45
Blank
Contrazoom
186 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.16K Views
First Technical Head. How much to ask for?

A friend of mine set up a small company (currently two employees). He started getting more work than he could handle so came to me asking for software to manage his clients and business...

asked Aug 20 '13 at 20:49
Blank
Awalias
111 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
Startup and Salary in a startup

I have been approached by a startup company in France (sorry for my English!) which says it wants me. I'm currently working in the finance industry and being paid around 50K Euros a year, plus...

asked May 29 '13 at 18:56
Blank
Carmellose
16 points