Shares Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Impact of acquisition on shareholders

SCENARIO I'm an early employee in a startup and 100% vested. I've been in the company long enough to start thinking about my next career step (MBA maybe), but I do wish it the best of success and...

asked Sep 6 '11 at 11:51
Blank
Hungryhumble
16 points

7 Votes
8 Answers
3.08K Views
Should give 20% of my start-up away to a high profile UX academic?

I'm in the process of registering a company for my start up. I've been developing the concept 60 hours a week for the past 6 months. I've attracted the interest of a high profile UX academic that...

asked Sep 6 '11 at 16:48
Blank
Nathan Keller
138 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.34K Views
What's the average percentage share of investor

I am a new entrepreneur seeking investors. I need $4 million in capital to start my company. Investors came forward to help me with my required capital, but they are asking for 50% of lifetime...

asked Aug 19 '11 at 18:42
Blank
Karz
126 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
tax implications of not assigning ip early enough to a startup from founder

I'm the sole founder of a startup and I've incorporated a delaware c-corp, but have not yet issued any shares. I'm putting all that legal stuff off so I can focus on product development. Plan is to...

asked Aug 16 '11 at 10:38
Blank
Gman
6 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
When and how to "get out"? And some advice?

I have been involved with a technology startup in the UK from day 0, for over 5 years now. The company is up to 800k+ revenue over the last year and was on track for a 150k profit. Unfortunately...

asked Aug 2 '11 at 19:16
Blank
Jo Skipp
26 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
5.11K Views
How to determine share value for a new company?

I'm in the process of setting up a company, and am trying to figure out what numbers to put in the Share Structure Table in the company registration form (download here ). I will be the sole...

asked Aug 4 '11 at 12:59
Blank
Greg Sansom
130 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Example of new shares issued for investment and options pool in one round?

Please check my thinking. Right now, founders own 100% of 1000 shares. We're willing to sell 30% of the company to outside investors. We want to set aside another 10% for an employee options...

asked Aug 7 '11 at 23:16
Blank
W. Matthew Wilson
104 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.55K Views
Start a business with a close friend or a family member?

Is that a good or a bad idea to start a business with someone you are really close?

asked Jul 6 '11 at 19:01
Blank
Dervlap
28 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.55K Views
Why split equity at the beginning?

One of my co-founders is suggesting that we split equity based upon the number of hours each person puts in until we obtain funding and begin drawing salaries. In other words, each person would be...

asked Jun 23 '11 at 10:08
Blank
A Fake Username
86 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.73K Views
Share value based on 5 year cash flow projection

I am about to embark on raising money. I am reasonably sure that I have constructed an accurate but very conservative 5 year plan. If the cash flows are to be believed, I will now have to pin a...

asked Jun 30 '11 at 08:37
Blank
Michael
234 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
How much equity is a business plan worth?

Say one person comes up with the idea for a startup, and spends a significant amount of time over 2 years developing the business plan. That person then asks others to join the startup as...

asked Jun 23 '11 at 00:32
Blank
A Fake Username
86 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
4.14K Views
Paying Friend/Programmer/Developer to code Startup Website. Also give Percentage? How to keep Accountable?

I have an income and a website idea. I know nothing about programming. I have a friend who is a programmer, comp-sci major, and so to get my idea created into a website I am paying them an hourly...

asked Jun 11 '11 at 16:06
Blank
Zach
11 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
3.61K Views
How does one go about finding shared office space, specifically in the UK?

I'm currently working from home, but finding this too solitary, and also need a change of environment in general so I'm considering moving cities. I think this is a great time to branch out of my...

asked Jun 1 '11 at 07:27
Blank
Ocharles
126 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.94K Views
Full-time vs part-time and equity

At the moment, my co-founders and I are working on our startup part-time. We're in the process of figuring out how many shares to allocate to each person. If one of us quits their full-time job to...

asked May 19 '11 at 06:19
Blank
A Fake Username
86 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Start-up Company - Legal Advice and beyond...Where do I go from here?

My question is pretty broad, but I am just wondering the next logical steps to take in establishing and distributing equity in an iOS App Business Startup. What form or document do I would need to...

asked May 24 '11 at 13:47
Blank
Canty Jeffrey
10 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
Re-evaluating founders' equity

When founders divide a startup's equity amongst themselves, are those numbers set in stone (ignoring future dilution)? I ask this because my co-founders and I are pondering whether we should...

asked May 13 '11 at 04:29
Blank
A Fake Username
86 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.97K Views
Profit shares vs voting shares

My co-founders and I plan to issue profit shares and voting shares separately. For example, I might receive 35% of the profit shares, and 15% of the voting shares. What disadvantages are there to...

asked May 13 '11 at 05:13
Blank
A Fake Username
86 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.52K Views
Gross profit royalties vs non-voting equity

I began work with a small startup last year, working as a consultant. Consulting didn't last long because I saw great potential in the company and made it clear I wanted to be a part of it. I...

asked May 15 '11 at 13:38
Blank
Schneider
116 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.11K Views
LLP Shareholders Agreement Does it Exist? - UK

I have been asked to work with a small startup who say they will offer me a 15% share of their LLP for my expertise. However as far as I am aware an LLP does not have a shareholders agreement and...

asked May 4 '11 at 18:14
Blank
John
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Made an error on incorporation, what do I need to do to ammend it?

We (me and my partner) recently incorporated as a Limited By Shares company (Ltd). Stupidly, when filling out the forms we put down 1m shares with nominal value at £1 thinking these were just...

asked May 10 '11 at 06:27
Blank
Tom
480 points