Silicon Valley Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.5K Views
Why do VCs never outright say no to you if they're not going to invest?

My co-founder and I have pitched to tens of venture capital firms in the bay area. Not once have been openly told "no". It seems all the VCs give you an open ended reply that makes you feel hopeful...

asked Apr 29 '15 at 11:12
Blank
Mary Sterrett
12 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Best city in the US which has a startup scene AND a low cost of living?

San Francisco and New York are notorious for their high cost of living. While the startup scene on those two cities is great, the downside is even a $100K+ salary means a mediocre living...

asked Jun 14 '15 at 17:40
Blank
Sara Shepard
12 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
Why did Zappos start in Vegas and not Silicon Valley?

Why did Tony Hsieh begin Zappos in Vegas of all places? What benefits did they get out of basing their company there vs an established ecosystem?

asked Apr 7 '14 at 15:29
Blank
Ruby Simpson
14 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
Scaling a SaaS startup: which city would you move to for growth?

Which city has the best ecosystem to start a company that has a need to hire engineers quickly to grow? A big second criteria is that the city needs to be safe for families (with good school...

asked Mar 24 '14 at 16:11
Blank
Dorothy Tillman
40 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.76K Views
Why is silicon valley saturated with small ideas and big ideas getting rarer?

The valley seems to be obsessed with small ideas like photo sharing and messaging apps. There was a time when life sciences and technology that fundamentally changed the society ruled here.That...

asked Mar 23 '14 at 12:56
Blank
Walter More
30 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.47K Views
Advantages to starting your company in NYC as opposed to Silicon Valley?

What are some benefits for startups to be in New York City? What things does the city offer that are unique or gives it an upper-hand over Silicon Valley?

asked Mar 22 '14 at 11:56
Blank
Rosa Marty
15 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.92K Views
Disadvantages of choosing Silicon Valley as your startup's hub?

What are some of the cons of being a startup in the bay area?

asked Mar 19 '14 at 13:27
Blank
Lindsey Anderson
10 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.17K Views
Any networks for female founders in Silicon Valley? We're a minority.

Are there any events or networking opportunities specifically for female founders in the bay area?

asked Feb 26 '14 at 18:47
Blank
Nichole Willhite
7 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
Why did Silicon Valley become the hub for startups vs a larger city like LA or NY?

Considering both NY and LA are far more dense in population than the valley, how did the bay area become the main spot for technology startups and companies?

asked Feb 22 '14 at 07:18
Blank
Young Dahlstrom
25 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Chances for non-U.S. founders to succeed in Silicon Valley

If you're based in U.S., it is not very hard to get in touch with the right people in order to transform an idea into a product. It's easy to get to conferences, to apply to different startup...

asked Mar 21 '12 at 21:21
Blank
Claudiu Constantin
106 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
How does silicon valley facilitate marketing?

Are there any specific channels in Silicon Valley such that being located there would make it more conducive to market a web based product?

asked Apr 11 '11 at 05:00
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.53K Views
What could the application startup color.com actually spend $41MM on?

Forget about whether this means we're in a bubble or all the talk about whether this was smart or not, but a new application company (social photo sharing) raised $41MM. They spent $500k on the...

asked Mar 25 '11 at 01:32
Blank
Michael Pryor
2,250 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
Silicon Valley vs NYC for tech startup

So the startup culture and ecosystem is also emerging in NYC...how would you compare the ecosystem between NYC and Silicon Valley, what the pros and cons of each is and what can one offer that the...

asked Mar 28 '11 at 15:22
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.51K Views
Concrete examples of _why_ Silicon Valley is best for a startup?

I read here, and in articles elsewhere, about how important it is for a startup to be located in Silicon Valley. But they're all very vague, mentioning "the energy" or "the talent" or...

asked Feb 26 '11 at 20:04
Blank
Sean
134 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.92K Views
Any experiences with Silicon Valley Bank?

SVB claims to have worked with lot of tech startups (and they do i believe), but does anyone here in this forum have first hand experience with SVB?. Why should someone choose them over some other...

asked Dec 16 '10 at 08:58
Blank
Jewelthief
151 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.99K Views
Packing up and moving to Silicon Valley. Stepping out of my comfort zone or just plain naïve?

The city I have lived in for the past 10 years just isn't a very good environment for internet entrepreneurs and I feel like it's holding me back. I just graduated from college in December so I've...

asked Jan 7 '10 at 16:51
Blank
Travis
26 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
7.05K Views
How much does nice office space cost in the Bay Area?

How much does office space for startups cost in the Bay Area? What are the options? I'm thinking of startup-friendly places, including SoMa, Silicon Valley, and places in the east bay like...

asked Dec 14 '09 at 11:40
Blank
Joel Spolsky
13,482 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
3.18K Views
Does a startup really need to be located in Silicon Valley to be successful?

What's so special about the valley, besides being around other startup folks, that entrepenuers feel they must be located there? Now before you go off quoting Paul Graham or Marc Andreessen please...

asked Nov 25 '09 at 15:59
Blank
Joe A
1,196 points