Software Licensing Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
Convincing a customer about a right decision

Just had an experience in my startup about a customer in my software start up. I develop server based software products for the past year and have a few customers for the same. A new customer came...

asked Jan 10 '12 at 12:41
Blank
Muthu
159 points

1 Votes
9 Answers
4.14K Views
Looking for most permissive license for human readable source code

Having a web site that may contain source code posted by users, I am in need of a completely obligation free license, and a statement by which users agree code posted by them is allowed to be...

asked Jan 16 '12 at 12:25
Blank
Leo
120 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
2.61K Views
Will Open-Sourcing my SaaS solution positively impact revenue?

I have yet to go public with my SaaS startup, and am considering releasing it under an open-source license. Below are some thoughts I've collated in answer to this question: No As competitors...

asked Jan 16 '12 at 21:13
Blank
A T
38 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.47K Views
Difference in software licensing terms

Someone wants to purchase software that I've written. Is giving him a royalty free, exclusive world-wide license the same as selling the software? If not what are the differences?

asked Jan 4 '12 at 09:23
Blank
Sam
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.82K Views
OEM Licensing Payment Term

How is the typical OEM licensing payment term? For example if another party want to buy 50 licenses, do they need to pay in full amount ? or some percentage in initial agreement and the remaining...

asked Dec 23 '11 at 02:49
Blank
Jazar
123 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
Is there a way to protect my software EXTENSION of an Adobe design product from piracy?

What we are doing at the moment is asking companies how many users they have on site and charging them per user, and then emailing them the extension. The problem is that there is currently...

asked Dec 28 '11 at 06:09
Blank
Mitya
8 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
Creative solution for copyright infringement by UK university

This question is sort of a follow up to: Creating non-profit startup from open-source software project Selling using the honor system Basically, I'm selling software on the honor system for $5 to...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 00:34
Blank
Kekito
1,936 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
Offering software without any DRM / hardware locking - negative consequences and how to avoid them

Let me be the first to play the part of Mr Obvious and state that any DRM can be broken. (I expect the usual amount of upvotes for that) Now, what are the pros of offering a software without...

asked Nov 14 '11 at 23:33
Blank
User9982
206 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
4.1K Views
Help me with software licensing models?

I have developed a portable C++ software library. I would like to discuss how to license that software (license models). Consider that the library price would be < 5.000 EUR and that it can be...

asked Nov 16 '11 at 05:06
Blank
Lukeluke
21 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.75K Views
How to price license fee for per-seat usage of Java desktop application?

Here's the model I am thinking of right now: Total cost to buyer = (number of seats ) X (partial 3rd party license cost + app development cost + 1 year support & updates). Number of Seats...

asked Nov 22 '11 at 07:56
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Advice on software startups

Well, I have an idea, which I think it is very cool, and also have potential to package as a service. But it is only the idea, I need a product or service to make a living or earning cash flow,...

asked Nov 22 '11 at 11:50
Blank
Ted Wong
171 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.81K Views
How to outsource a software development process?

We are having a good idea for a software product. Since its complexity surpasses the capacities for a one man army or perhaps of a small software team, it will be necessary to outsource software...

asked Sep 26 '11 at 08:07
Blank
Jpcf
111 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
3.85K Views
It is possible to startup a sucessful software company without being a programmer?

the idea is simple. How to execute, i don't know. I have an idea for a software. Very good and simple idea, and I think it's simple to execute too. This software can bring to life a new company. I...

asked Sep 26 '11 at 12:25
Blank
H 7
133 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
8.1K Views
I want an effective solution to prevent piracy and manage licensing of my java desktop application

I am developing software that will be useful during search engine optimisation of a website. This software is a desktop java application. I have heard that (specifically) Java applications can...

asked Aug 20 '11 at 00:16
Blank
User893664
18 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.83K Views
How do you manage sales of your phone apps on different platforms?

everyone I am developing phone apps and would like to introduce them on AppWorld, and later on, sell them on another platforms too. Since I'm a new developer, I need your help. How do you guys...

asked Jun 1 '11 at 10:24
Blank
Sid Jenkins
16 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
6.63K Views
Possible To Sell Product To Current Employer?

I have an idea for productivity software that would be very beneficial to my current company (and to me in my current role). My current role involves no software development at all (I'm working for...

asked Apr 27 '11 at 00:22
Blank
Jetti
289 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.41K Views
Charging sales tax for licensed software in NY state?

I am about to send an invoice/purchase order for a company to lease our software for a year. Both companies are in NY - must I charge sales tax and if so, how much? A pointer to the appropriate...

asked Mar 10 '11 at 01:45
Blank
Tim J
8,346 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.67K Views
How do I protect myself from being cut out once the core software is built?

Not that I have any reason to suspect that this would happen, but to be diligent, I need some advice on this. I have been invited on board with a promising new Software as a Service web project,...

asked Oct 22 '10 at 05:31
Blank
Bomb Defused
227 points