Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
Is "Shareware" a bad word?

Should we market our "Try Before You Buy" software as Shareware or not? I've heard that it may have a bad connotation and you're better off calling it something else. Should I try to avoid using...

asked Nov 13 '09 at 14:59
Blank
Lkessler
1,471 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
Is There A Recommended Method for Software Protection?

What method of software protection do you recommend simply to make sure your software is not too easy to use without paying, but is not too annoying for honest paying customers?

asked Nov 13 '09 at 15:41
Blank
Lkessler
1,471 points

10 Votes
5 Answers
3.05K Views
What Press Release Distribution Service Should I Use?

The number of press release services out there is mind boggling. I am an ISV (Independent Software Vendor) with a niche software program, and I'd like to send out a Press Release to the software...

asked Nov 13 '09 at 16:15
Blank
Lkessler
1,471 points

11 Votes
12 Answers
8.66K Views
CRM / lead management software?

Can anyone recommend CRM / lead management software? We have a bunch of customer leads, and managing them using a Google doc is getting unwieldy. We are looking for an inexpensive solution,...

asked Nov 14 '09 at 10:17
Blank
Joseph Turian
895 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.5K Views
How do I turn a word doc into a polished looking guide / ebook?

I have a 20ish page guide in a word doc that I want laid out as a polished looking pdf, with a table of contents and nice headers /footers/ margins/ headings/ subheadings and fonts . I want it...

asked Nov 14 '09 at 13:57
Blank
Adam
446 points

3 Votes
7 Answers
3.29K Views
Would it be so tragic not to obfuscate my product?

I'm building a software (a concept-mind-mapping/diagramming product in .NET) and seeing trouble with obfuscation (alteration of deliverable code difficult decompilation). It costs money and time to...

asked Nov 15 '09 at 13:25
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

21 Votes
8 Answers
10.2K Views
Is Micropreneur Academy worth it?

Is Micropreneur Academy worth it? Any members on this site? Also, what does it cost? Background: I read the 'Software by Rob' blog and think he has some very good advice for the whole micro-ISV...

asked Nov 17 '09 at 13:43
Blank
Dog On
308 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.46K Views
Selling your SaaS product directly vs. through a network of partners

Me and my co-founder are talking a lot about how we want to sell our SaaS product. (The product is E-commerce software/website, integrated with E-mail marketing providers, Google AdWords, Website...

asked Nov 18 '09 at 06:04
Blank
Martin Hn
234 points

8 Votes
2 Answers
5.64K Views
How to market an android application?

My colleagues and I have just completed our first Android app. This is going to be a free multimedia application that can download/preview ringtones and wallpapers to your android. Now we need to...

asked Nov 19 '09 at 09:57
Blank
Vidar Vestnes
141 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Strategies for finding potential customers for a tiny app

Background : I used to work for a software consulting firm. For obvious reasons, one thing that was critical to both our company and our customers was keeping track of the time spent on specific...

asked Nov 19 '09 at 13:50
Blank
Lyudmil
111 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.01K Views
Software content/output ownership

Does a ISV have the right to add a watermark to the export of users content, like video, images or pdf’s for paid noncommercial users? The idea is to prevent commercial users creating and selling...

asked Nov 20 '09 at 10:21
Blank
Ben Martin
113 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
3.88K Views
Where can I learn the basics of software development?

I have mobile app and social media site ideas but not sure how to get them started seeing that I don't have any computer science background. I have contacted some local consulting firms but they...

asked Oct 26 '09 at 16:00
Blank
Growthand Vision
76 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
3.13K Views
How to describe (and market) an app which doesn't fit any niche

We're a software startup and our app (desktop app) is basically a virtual folder manager where the virtual folders are also tags: you "place" files/folders into several virtual folders and you find...

asked Oct 29 '09 at 09:55
Blank
Andrea D'intino
21 points

3 Votes
7 Answers
4.05K Views
Good web demo software?

I need to do some web based demos to customers of our product and are looking for a good product to use. I've used gotomeeting before but I think that it feels a little to non-serious. What are...

asked Oct 29 '09 at 16:29
Blank
Riri
118 points

2 Votes
8 Answers
3.01K Views
Approaching Programming/Project Managemenet from a non-technical perspective?

I recently asked a question of should I start dabbling into programming or should I stick to what I am good at: Sales, Marketing, Planning, Presentations, etc. The feedback was overwhelmingly...

asked Oct 30 '09 at 22:35
Blank
Jaret Manuel
76 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
3.12K Views
Is there a place I can go to float my ideas and get feedback?

I have decided to take off an extended period of time and take one of my ideas to market. I have been an independent and very successful developer for over a decade. Bigger than that though I am an...

asked Nov 4 '09 at 05:33
Blank
Mkw
189 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.28K Views
Crowdsourced or 'community driven' venture capital

Following on the same theme as my earlier question about finding a place to share ideas and get feedback. http://www.brightjourney.com/q/place-go-float-ideas-get-feedback Marry StackExchange...

asked Nov 4 '09 at 10:00
Blank
Mkw
189 points

14 Votes
11 Answers
4.96K Views
Is StartUpToDo.com worth it?

Is StartUpToDo.com worth it? Any members on this site? The landing page is has really sold me, except that I have my doubts about whether following a recipe is the right way to go for starting a...

asked Nov 4 '09 at 13:42
Blank
Dog On
308 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
3.42K Views
What are good products that enable a software startup to interface with customers online?

I'm working on a software app that I will sell online. I'm going to go with the "release-early, iterate quickly" plan, so rapid customer feedback is all-important. I'm looking for a web app for my...

asked Oct 16 '09 at 03:24
Blank
Giablo
45 points

3 Votes
10 Answers
4.56K Views
Low-cost issue tracker, maybe with CRM?

I and my team members have a handful of outstanding issues we would like to track, ranging from technical to business-oriented. We are looking for a free/low-cost issue tracker, perhaps with...

asked Oct 19 '09 at 08:51
Blank
Joseph Turian
895 points