Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
How much ACD affects marketing, and customer loyalty and fidelity?

I'm thinking of starting a new educational institute. One of the plans I had in mind was to use a call center with a good ACD (Automatic Call Distribution ) capability, so that each customer would...

asked Aug 9 '13 at 17:29
Blank
Saeed Neamati
153 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Finding a technical co-founder as a young entrepreneur?

I am looking for a technical co-founder to join myself and the other founder in the development of some software for a start-up with with a great market. The problem is I'm 16. We both have some...

asked Jul 6 '13 at 00:09
Blank
Jason
41 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.9K Views
launching startup: locally vs international

I have a site I am launching within the next couple of weeks. The site will be providing a service to connect people locally within there region (city,state etc..). The question is, should I...

asked Jul 6 '13 at 00:12
Blank
Justin
50 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Is enterprise software more difficult to sell than consumer software?

I see several questions on this site that discuss how, as a startup, to sell software to large businesses. On the other hand, Paul Graham of Y Combinator says that If you're building something for...

asked Jul 18 '13 at 08:00
Blank
Dan
111 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
Revenue share for a mobile app with an (almost) guaranted success

I have a customer who wants to pay me by sharing the revenues. He already has a good user base on his PC software version, and we both know that a mobile app should sell quite well (let's say...

asked Jun 10 '13 at 09:35
Blank
Dalmas
103 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Do ads ruin user experience?

I'm developing some school communication/information software for mobile and browser and I have a question about ads. I was going to have a resources section where people can post useful links and...

asked Jul 5 '13 at 18:11
Blank
Jason
41 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
How do you charge for consulting services of varied amounts?

We charge a monthly fee for customers to use our service. On the sign-up form the calculation for this fee is done and the cost is shown to the customer. They can then complete the billing info and...

asked May 22 '13 at 23:27
Blank
Sjbotha
116 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.76K Views
getting references

I am writing a software product for business use. First few versions were for free, but now I started selling the product. I think that adding at least a short list of companies that are using my...

asked May 31 '13 at 06:26
Blank
Tomasz Grobelny
106 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
1.99K Views
How To Protect My Unpatentable Simple-But-Effective Product Against BigCompany

I have a simple idea (I think it is not patentable) that I have turned it into an effective software. It need some more effort to make it commercial. By the way I am not unwilling to sell it to THE...

asked Apr 30 '13 at 17:54
Blank
Bahribayli
123 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Sale commission for someone who brings a big fish (SaaS model)

I was wondering what is a reasonable/fare commission for someone (call him an agent) who can introduce us to a potential big client. I estimate the client can generate at minimum 400K-600K a year...

asked May 2 '13 at 08:47
Blank
Adhg
250 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.33K Views
Can I train a programmer from internal staff?

I have a person on staff who has been doing a lot of admin type work: support, billing, etc. I am thinking that I will want another programmer (PHP/MYSQL/etc) in the next 6-12 months for some new...

asked Apr 9 '13 at 01:27
Blank
Simon
165 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Licensing a compiler which outputs code of a pre-existing programming language

This is a cross-post from stackoverflow; I was told you guys might be more knowlegable in this area... I have an idea for a project which, ideally, I would like to eventually make money...

asked Apr 14 '13 at 14:52
Blank
Araisbec
16 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.82K Views
How to find developers for a startup with next separation of the business?

I'm a software developer and I have made the first alpha version of my service. And now I need more human resources to make something significant. I need people which will work for free yet. And...

asked Apr 16 '13 at 23:58
Blank
Sergzach
101 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.76K Views
Fairly Sharing Proprietorship of Software Product

I am currently working as a Software Developer with a company. As well, I provide solutions also to some clients part time. Recently I got an inquiry for a software product. I believe that the...

asked Apr 17 '13 at 01:42
Blank
Rumit Parakhiya
110 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Explaining my software license to customers/users

My software comes with the standard Apache 2.0 License which covers our bases pretty well while providing flexibility for us and our customers to use/modify the software to their needs. I have...

asked Apr 18 '13 at 01:34
Blank
Snake Doc
179 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.83K Views
How to simplify my quickbooks items list

I am using Quickbooks to handle invoicing, purchasing, sales, etc. and so, to facilitate all these processes, I have an 'Items' list; I know, pretty standard stuff, right? Well, here's my problem,...

asked Mar 23 '13 at 01:51
Blank
Jvance
1 point

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.84K Views
Equity in a business driven by software?

I am completely new to negotiating equity, and I don't know where I stand with regards to pushing back on potential offers of equity based on a new project. If anybody could give me their view on...

asked Mar 26 '13 at 01:00
Blank
Dee Mac
123 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
Best way to commercialize a software

My associates and I own a services business. To improve efficiency we started to developed own software two years ago. The software we developed seems to be very effective and time-saving for us...

asked Apr 3 '13 at 22:57
Blank
Gauthier
1 point

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
Deciding between a web app and desktop software for an academic tool

I want to develop a tool which makes it easy for teachers and professors to write tests: multiple version, multiple choice, long answer, scantron, the whole works. The question is, would I be...

asked Mar 6 '13 at 09:28
Blank
Ian93
118 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.34K Views
How to license closed source free-ware application for distribution to the public?

I have created a small application/tool, and I would like to release it to the public under those conditions: It is free. (donations are welcome) It is closed source. In the future, I might...

asked Mar 11 '13 at 10:51
Blank
Sharp12345
113 points