Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Need to pick a title as the first technical employee of a startup

I will be the first technical employee of an early-stage startup. I don't have a ton of experience (so something like CTO would look bad and misrepresent me) but I will be doing all the software...

asked Dec 20 '12 at 06:33
Blank
Robamaton
143 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.32K Views
Where to get software review?

I'm trying to push my friend's software to Wikipedia, to do this I need real software reviews, but that seems impossible to get it, I've written emails (with our software free licenses for them, we...

asked Dec 5 '12 at 05:13
Blank
Bartosz Wójcik
111 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.84K Views
Where to get a Paid Software/Code Review

I have written a pretty extensive webapp and it is going to go live in the next fews weeks and before I really publicize it I want to get some professionals to review it for optimization and best...

asked Dec 5 '12 at 08:17
Blank
Clifgray
200 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Functional model of co-founders work

Here's the problem for software development startup. We're two. One can do a decent hard-skill programming. The other one don't know anything, except he has some capital ( approx. less than 10k,...

asked Dec 12 '12 at 19:13
Blank
Peter
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.55K Views
Source code Buyout clause in contract

I have a small contract that I have to makeup, but the biggest importance is to make sure the the source code buyout doesn't have a set price. What would be the best way of wording this? Ideally,...

asked Nov 28 '12 at 14:18
Blank
Eghdk
111 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
Dealing with Free and Lite Version of Competitors

We are new to the software field and have been launched ~4 months = 8 sales so far.The conversion rate is 0.5 %.Product is priced around $25-$30 We are in a market with lot of competition,in fact...

asked Nov 28 '12 at 22:17
Blank
James
11 points

10 Votes
4 Answers
2.81K Views
Is it worth using box shots for online product sales?

I am selling professional software B2B online to engineers. Price tag around $1k. Many online software vendors include an image of their product's packaging, a so-called "box shot". Of course,...

asked Nov 6 '12 at 23:59
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.24K Views
How to get started in the defense industry?

I've always been particularly intrigued by the defense industry in general amongst many other industries as I have a pretty strong entrepreneurial spirit since I was a kid, starting my first...

asked Nov 14 '12 at 16:05
Blank
Goose
16 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2K Views
What it takes to implement ERP Software for SME's

I have a project to implement ERP Software for SME. Though I am a software engineer myself and briefly understand things involved, however as I am new to ERP platform and is not sure of what it...

asked Nov 17 '12 at 15:19
Blank
Goku
58 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
5.39K Views
What is the law covering the intellectual property rights of software developed during internship/employment without signed contract/agreement?

I am a software engineer who "invented", and developed alone an integrated ERP software solution over the past 2 years. I got the idea and coded much of the software as intern at small wholesale...

asked Oct 20 '12 at 06:31
Blank
P T
11 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.66K Views
Is it possible to get funding to buy a Canadian non-profit company and turn it for-profit

I'm going to be vague and have used a new anonymous account to hide my identity because I don't want the other parties involved to know about my question. I'm a developer who has been working on...

asked Oct 23 '12 at 05:23
Blank
Justgottaknow
9 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.89K Views
Software systems that need certification or approval

I am a self taught programmer and web developer, planning to become an Independent Software Vendor. I am creating a software for Accounting and Inventory Management to sell in my local market....

asked Nov 3 '12 at 22:16
Blank
Metadice
23 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Distributing Windows virtual appliances

Complex Linux solutions are commonly packaged as virtual appliances. I'm interested in the Windows side of this, but haven't been able to find much relevant information on the web. We are...

asked Oct 11 '12 at 16:42
Blank
Cocowalla
327 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
How could I validate a product that saves large SaaS biz money on bandwith?

My business idea deals with compressing the traffic coming out of web apps to the client. I can show the bandwidth differences with and without my software. How do I know validate if companies...

asked Sep 30 '12 at 12:42
Blank
New Alexandria
221 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
An 'any software you want' approach to marketing?

I want to start a software business. It's probably been said a million times before on this forum, and software start-up's being in such abundance is one of the reasons for this question. I don't...

asked Aug 16 '12 at 01:40
Blank
Dee Mac
123 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
How to start Selling Software

I have been looking around for a guide or some advice on what I should do next with a program I created. I have been programming as a hobby and I finished making a small program that I am thinking...

asked Aug 16 '12 at 10:37
Blank
Flippy
13 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.71K Views
Shares to programmers

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? So I friend of mine has this idea for a kind of social network based on video blogging, for obvious...

asked Aug 21 '12 at 03:14
Blank
J Striedinger
1 point

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.35K Views
What is the current trend for software start-ups?

I had this question in my mind long ago. Now I'm daring to ask that. ;-) What I have learnt from current trend is that, "Internet or e-commerce is the only field for the software start-ups to get...

asked Aug 21 '12 at 14:28
Blank
Ss Hegde
60 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.03K Views
Outsourcing to software development team vs an individual developer

We are developing a relatively straightforward Windows software application, and the question has arisen of whether it makes sense to outsource to a four-person development team (Project Manager,...

asked Aug 26 '12 at 01:23
Blank
Josh
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.82K Views
When to commercialize a product?

I am a young university student with a good number of years experience in both small/large software companies. This has put me in a good position to find strong student developers and lead/consult...

asked Aug 27 '12 at 03:31
Blank
Anon 205
11 points