Startup Costs Questions

2 Votes
3 Answers
6.54K Views
How do I pay back a investor who only invested $1500?

I came up with an invention 4yrs ago and just recently took it to invent tech to get help making it. My husband drew out the sketch for me. When I took it to Invent Tech they told me it would cost...

asked May 30 '13 at 01:25
Blank
Chardae Keller
14 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.91K Views
Markup material cost on startup

I was in a debate recently with someone on how we should go about pricing out our material costs to clients and we couldn't decide on what is the proper way in going about doing this. Example:...

asked May 5 '13 at 12:34
Blank
Matt 2.0
188 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.33K Views
If someone is investing money as terms of a partnership is that money to be repaid as a loan?

My brother had an idea for a business and asked me to be his partner. His idea was for me to have 20% ownership and he has 80%. He is going to fund the business (at most $20,000) and believes that...

asked Apr 10 '13 at 23:32
Blank
Dina
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
9.31K Views
Starting a hotel

I would like to start a hotel over the next few years. I know I will need a lot of capital to do so. I am working on getting the capital right now but I would like to know what a realistic amount...

asked Mar 31 '13 at 06:06
Blank
Makai
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
How do I dissolve a C Corp?

I haven't used my C Corp, paid any taxes, or done the minutes. I haven't made a dollar or used the corp in any form. It was just a mistake opening the C Corp. I'm scared I have to pay the taxes...

asked Mar 16 '13 at 13:33
Blank
Zapoo
303 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.8K Views
What Should I do as Founder

Hope you can help me out with little advice here. I recently founded a website and I have no technical programming. Perhaps I was lucky that I found a rich partner who can't work full time. But he...

asked Feb 23 '13 at 22:35
Blank
Trana
24 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.74K Views
What are charges/taxes to open LLC in New York as foreigner/alien

I am from India. I want to launch e-commerce web site. For that purpose, I want to open LLC in New York. What are charges/taxes to open LLC in New York as foreigner/alien.

asked Feb 25 '13 at 23:03
Blank
Simpanoz
109 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.74K Views
how to get money to open a retail store?

I am on optometrist and want to start my own business and stop working for others. In my world, the owner of the optical pays the doctor (me) a salary and makes a killing on my labor in the form of...

asked Mar 1 '13 at 06:28
Blank
Kacalapy
129 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.53K Views
Small fee service and bookkeeping

I want to minimise startup costs so by reading many useful posts here I've came to a conclusion that bookkeeping and accountancy are the biggest cost if you are starting small. My service is going...

asked Mar 1 '13 at 20:19
Blank
Ivan Von Turkovich
21 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.41K Views
Help with SaaS and bookkeeping

I am going to start a company for a simple online service which should sell digital goods to customers. Since I am new in running business world there are few things I need to learn. I've tried to...

asked Mar 5 '13 at 09:43
Blank
Ivan Von Turkovich
21 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
Advice on an offer from a start-up

i have been offered a position in a start-up...i was initially told that my 100,000 share options were 0.25% of "the allocated shares". In my own research i came across terms for "diluted stock"....

asked Jan 29 '13 at 09:42
Blank
James
26 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.54K Views
How much equity should I give our first investor/legal advisor?

I'm currently starting up a mobile social networking application with zero funding. The app is currently in the mvp stage with a very thorough business plan, and my business partner and I are...

asked Feb 1 '13 at 04:29
Blank
User23813
13 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Does anyone have any evidence of cost-per-user scaling on AppHarbor?

I'm trying to work out the viability of a web service and I'm trying to wrap my head around the impact that increasing numbers of users will have on costs. This is mostly a concern about not...

asked Feb 3 '13 at 13:38
Blank
Simon Gill
104 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Starting a business for the second time

Fifteen years ago my family purchased a franchise. Within five years we realized the books were cooked and the clientele we purchased was not there. We went to court and lost (in my eyes) and...

asked Jan 5 '13 at 08:57
Blank
Matt 2.0
188 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.64K Views
How do I develop my idea for a web app while lacking resources and development drive?

I have a web application idea with great potential that I trying to turn into a start up business. I currently work with building application in a .NET environment but for this personal project...

asked Jan 13 '13 at 17:03
Blank
Geddon
20 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
7.86K Views
Inactive co-founder holds 33% but refuses to dilute

We are 3 founders in the business. The two are working as close to full-time as we can given we dont receive a salary, we each hold 44% and 23% which leaves the last partner with 33%. He has been...

asked Dec 9 '12 at 13:46
Blank
Seventy Six
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
What's the cost and paperwork of dissolving a Delaware corporation?

I have been working with my co-founder for the past year and recently we decided to part ways. However, about 2 months ago we incorporated our business in Delaware. Each of us is starting from...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 06:01
Blank
Rjgonzo
157 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.63K Views
Seed funding question

We are in our seed round and the investors are asking for preferred shares of the company and terms that they own a percentage of the code/software and a percentage of the patent rights. We are...

asked Nov 30 '12 at 14:46
Blank
Devin Shavenoff
8 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
Online sales and startup

What is the best way to go about getting more profit and paying less tax when it comes to selling something strictly online? Say I have a dual citizenship, to Canada and Mexico. And I do all my...

asked Oct 22 '12 at 15:49
Blank
Bazzi
16 points

1 Votes
8 Answers
4.68K Views
How the startups manage to afford cost of web servers and other hardware

i want to know, how startups manages their cost of hardware, like servers and other hardware. do they buy brand new material or the second hand, what about room to keep their servers and all other...

asked Aug 16 '12 at 04:34
Blank
Vikas Devde
108 points