Strategy Questions

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.5K Views
My startup is in "concept" stage. Where should I go from here?

I just found OnStartups and I'm looking forward to sharing insights with you guys. My startup is currently in "concept" stage, and I was wondering where to begin my journey. I have a great idea,...

asked Jul 30 '11 at 01:01
Blank
User12313
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
Seeking Google+ Development Partner

Does anyone know of or have contacts for any companies that have products centered around Google’s APIs? We’re looking to potentially partner with a company on a product for Google+ and...

asked Jul 14 '11 at 02:37
Blank
User347312
36 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
Six Months Into Start-Up - Focus On One Client or Expand Platforms?

I am currently working for a start-up and our first product has been in development for several months. We have reached a fork in the road and I would like to ask the OnStartups community for some...

asked Jun 22 '11 at 13:55
Blank
Travis Truett
127 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
How can I build up a new McKinsey in a niche field?

I would like to build a new consulting company like McKinsey. I do have a significant competitive advantage, (based on software) in a niche field, and now I need advice on how to start creating a...

asked May 27 '11 at 05:58
Blank
David
1,567 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.66K Views
What kind of software could be sold to a large company in one week?

In my experience, it takes around a year to sell software to a large company. I have seen it getting done in three months, but it is very seldom. Therefore, my question is whether you know of any...

asked May 23 '11 at 04:50
Blank
David
1,567 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.56K Views
I have a startup that is almost ready and I'm finding it hard to get companies on board, what can I do?

I know this question has been asked many times before in a plethora of different ways, but I couldn't find anything to help me out, so my apologies if this comes off as a duplicate of another...

asked May 25 '11 at 09:49
Blank
Digital Sea
1,613 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
2.16K Views
Managing Technical debt in an early stage startup

Technical debt affects all companies, and in startups where there is pressure to get things out the door as quickly as possible, the pressure to build up technical debt is high. Is it an...

asked May 6 '11 at 02:18
Blank
Jeremy French
148 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
Are there any reasons not to sell software to large enterprises solely for a quarterly fee?

I am about to give an offer for software to a large enterprise. I know that it is normal to say that there is an upfront price for software and a yearly maintenance fee of around 18% of the upfront...

asked May 9 '11 at 06:06
Blank
David
1,567 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
Becoming a great business strategist

It has been said that a business must grow or die. Many businesses start because someone knows how to do something and they start a company to do it. While expertise in their field is required to...

asked May 10 '11 at 10:11
Blank
Kenneth Vogt
2,917 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2K Views
How could one take advantage of releasing very late?

There is talk about the minimal viable product and release early and often. These principles are fine in most circumstances, but what if you KNOW that your product will be far better than the...

asked May 1 '11 at 06:36
Blank
David
1,567 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
Question about a Food Brand

I have a friend who makes very good banana bread. She tried to sell it on the street and got sold out of a huge batch within a very short time. She wants to stay local within her city, but isn't...

asked Apr 21 '11 at 08:14
Blank
Genadinik
1,821 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.12K Views
Business strategy vs technology strategy

In essence my question is: is a CTO supposed to provide the company vision and business strategy? I am bringing into a startup the following: vision, business strrategy, technology...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 03:35
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points

9 Votes
9 Answers
3.96K Views
How would you differenciate yourself if you were to compete with online accounting software?

E-conomic is online accounting software, which enables you to write invoices to customers using web forms, track inventory etc. I am considering to start a company, which would compete with this...

asked Apr 10 '11 at 18:37
Blank
David
1,567 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.6K Views
Local advertising strategy

I have break & fix computer business and would like to find out how to go about figuring out the best marketing medium for my advertising. There are some local magazines and news papers,...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 09:49
Blank
Mat Banik
325 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.23K Views
Growing strategies: starting free and small, or going all in?

I was just reading a thread which I cannot find again, and it brought up a question. People were advising this guy not to develop his idea 100% perfectly, but to start small, and make it free,...

asked Mar 25 '11 at 04:37
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.68K Views
What employee turnover rate is too low for a high-tech company?

There is a lot of focus on the cost of employee turnover in companies. I am curious to know whether there are any studies on failure-rate of high-tech companies increasing if the turnover rate is...

asked Mar 28 '11 at 22:22
Blank
David
1,567 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.56K Views
How did Gilt get designers to sell them stuff when they first started?

High end designers try their hardest to keep their wares out of bargain shops (i.e. you won't see Hermes at TJ Maxx). I don't see how Gilt convinced the fashion world to allow them to sell the high...

asked Mar 18 '11 at 23:43
Blank
Michael Pryor
2,250 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
Can I copyright or otherwise protect a business vision/strategy?

I am involved as a cofounder in a tech/software company. My associate is bringing initial funding and is conversant with finance/accounting, facilities/infrastructure and general organizational...

asked Mar 3 '11 at 12:41
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.97K Views
Definition of customer value in the context of a value chain

I work for a large complex company, I delibrately do not want to say, which business it is in, in order to make this discussion general. In this company, as in many others, there are lots of...

asked Feb 26 '11 at 23:19
Blank
David
1,567 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
10.8K Views
Umbrella branding Vs Individual branding

What are the benefits/disadvantages/difficulties of umbrella branding, i.e., "overarching brand used across multiple related products" (wiki ) vs individual branding. We are looking for a...

asked Feb 11 '11 at 06:52
Blank
Dyn Zack
216 points