Strategy Questions

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
How to start selling locally developed CMS and ecommerce system globally?

I have developed advanced CMS software with integrated ecommerce system for running large eshops and managing content on multiple websites. It has some really modern features it's all AJAX,...

asked Feb 5 '11 at 02:38
Blank
Frodik
103 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.2K Views
Idea for a product outside my competency - how to proceed?

I have an idea for a very niche/boutique slightly naughty chocolate product to be sold online, but I am not sure how to approach it. The product will require moulding/shaping chocolate into a...

asked Jan 25 '11 at 06:41
Blank
Ivan Zlatev
216 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
Any examples of large companies measuring profits and cashflow instead of making traditional cost/revenue budgets?

The following is a copy and paste from this discussion with Pierre 303: Let us take an example where I believe that it is clear that there are no reasons for budget. Imagine a company, which has...

asked Jan 6 '11 at 19:30
Blank
David
1,567 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
1.93K Views
Won't an operational manual incur many competitors?

I read the book*The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It*. It is said that we should treat a business as a system, as a money-making machine. We should...

asked Jan 10 '11 at 18:40
Blank
Steven
1 point

11 Votes
9 Answers
3.48K Views
How to Build a Strong Social Network for a Young Entrepreneur?

"It's Not What You Know, It's Who You Know" -Old English Proverb Having a strong social network is a Must-Have of every entrepreneur. Our friends and partners make us stronger in areas we're...

asked Dec 6 '10 at 05:51
Blank
Sd Reyes
156 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.87K Views
How to exploit long-term thinking in a short-term thinking company?

I have read the strategy document (written in Norwegian), written by some excellent investment advisors with recommendations for the Norwegian pension fund (the second largest investment fund in...

asked Dec 10 '10 at 19:44
Blank
David
1,567 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Goal setting for the new year

Many of us here on the site are owners of small businesses or getting a startup up and running. I'm curious to know what goals people are setting for the new year, and whether or not you spend time...

asked Dec 15 '10 at 03:39
Blank
Elie
4,692 points

8 Votes
9 Answers
8.04K Views
How did you come up with your business idea?

For those of you who have successful businesses, how did you come up with your business idea? I'm trying to think of a business idea but none of the ideas I've come up with so far (currently about...

asked Nov 23 '10 at 01:23
Blank
Jason Swett
555 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.46K Views
Bad Signs: When non-tech people say "what am I looking at"

So I am finally finished writing my software product after a long time (1.5 years)...full time almost development and research by myself. This software is designed for businesses and research...

asked Nov 27 '10 at 23:28
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
In need of strategic advice

Some days I feel that I need someone experienced to have a top-level discussion of my next business steps. I don't necessarily feel that approaching investors is the right move for that -- I'm not...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 12:28
Blank
Usabilitest
1,698 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
How can a bootstrapped startup start to expand sales without outside funding?

So I have a bootstraped startup that's starting to get some traction. A little background: we make a classroom recording appliance that works with fixed positioned cameras in classrooms to record...

asked Nov 12 '10 at 03:32
Blank
Jon
138 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
2.39K Views
A question on startup strategy - this is a real world scenario we are facing, not a hypothetical

This is an actual problem we have to decide on with our startup. Help me decide! SCENARIO You are doing a startup. You have launched, you have customers, revenue and some traction. You are growing...

asked Oct 22 '10 at 19:48
Blank
Scott Handsaker
21 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
How to approach retailer to arrange onselling agreement

In our local area there are certain products that are sold at a much higher premium by large big brand retail stores and they move a lot of this product. There are smaller established stores who...

asked Oct 20 '10 at 09:07
Blank
Xiaohouzi79
1,257 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.71K Views
An idea to implement R&D in a software services startup

I have seen that working in a fledgling software services firm as a programmer entails a lot (in fact, all) of the time being spent working on meeting client specs and requirements on their...

asked Oct 21 '10 at 03:54
Blank
Fenderplayer
21 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
How do you determine which online marketing tools/applications to use?

So you want to do marketing for your company. You've created a marketing plan and want to implement it. How do you determine which applications/vendors to use? For example, for email marketing and...

asked Sep 26 '10 at 04:11
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.53K Views
A customer gives a very low counteroffer for my service, how should I react?

I resigned from my former job and begin to prepare my international trade business. Since it probably will take me a lot of time before I make a profit, I also provide language...

asked Aug 12 '10 at 16:13
Blank
Steven
1 point

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.75K Views
How would you compete against Digg / Reddit

I think the time is right to launch a site that is similar to Digg / Reddit but stays close to Digg's original ethos of catering toward tech. I wouldn't compete against Digg directly. Digg is too...

asked Jun 11 '10 at 11:24
Blank
User2833
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
Do large companies just work as tax-free zones with lower accounting standards?

Large companies are often organized into business units (GM is supposted to be a primer on this). These units essentially function like smaller companies. The only difference is that the accounting...

asked Jun 13 '10 at 06:20
Blank
David
1,567 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.42K Views
What are the barriers to good/great execution?

I always hear that it's execution that matters, not the idea, and that you can have a great idea, team, resources but still good execution is not guaranteed. How can that happen? I have been...

asked Jun 22 '10 at 05:54
Blank
Syed
445 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.75K Views
What should be the first steps in developing leads for a start up?

I have a high tech software start up B2B ...I know in my industry that competitors market through blogs, webinars, seo, associations, broadcast emails etc... I am targeting the Canadian Small to...

asked Jun 2 '10 at 07:26
Blank
Stacey
484 points