Strategy Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.53K Views
What strategies do you use to deal with uncertainty in your startup?

Startups are full of uncertainty, which typically gets (a little) less as the business grows. Lots and lots of questions about almost everything that the founder doesn't (yet) know the answer to....

asked Jun 8 '10 at 20:03
Blank
Susan Jones
4,128 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.06K Views
Should I create a new brand of products for different audiences?

I'm very curious about which option is better for the company's strategy view: A one general product for the three target groups, Or three different products for three target groups Or a product...

asked Apr 27 '10 at 05:16
Blank
Kamil Rudnicki
8 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
5.99K Views
Do you believe in Blue Ocean Strategy?

Blue Ocean Strategy is a business methodology that says: instead of competing in a market with existing competitors (red oceans), why not create your own market (blue ocean) and dominate it? Here...

asked May 13 '10 at 03:44
Blank
Mark Bao
604 points

3 Votes
8 Answers
3.1K Views
Customer feedback - good or bad?

Interesting post from Mark Cuban titled "why you should NEVER listen to your customer " references an long standing Alan Kay quote "the best way to predict the future is to invent it" Cuban then...

asked Apr 7 '10 at 02:02
Blank
Jim Galley
9,952 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
2.73K Views
What has been the most surprising challenge of doing a start up?

What is the one single challenge that has surprised you the most about doing a start up and what strategies and tactics did you execute to overcome this challenge?

asked Feb 26 '10 at 14:15
Blank
Warren E. Hart
2,181 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.86K Views
How much transparency is too much?

Recently, my partners and I thought it would be a good idea to blog about almost everything about our company. This includes things like the following: Revenue Expenses Meeting discussions Other...

asked Feb 10 '10 at 10:23
Blank
Jp Richardson
151 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.7K Views
Do the same Inbound Marketing rules apply for a systems company?

My present company is a systems company that has to sell both hardware and software to business end customers. We are close to launching our product and I was wondering if the same Inbound...

asked Feb 15 '10 at 05:01
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.38K Views
How to best make use of large corporate "partnership"?

Let's say a small software company has a product which can help several very large key players within the industry sell far more of their products. Let us also assume that these corporate giants...

asked Feb 16 '10 at 00:55
Blank
Nbeecroft
515 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
What are the pros and cons of repackaging our saas product as an OEM product?

We've started beta testing our WordonWiki software. WordonWiki is a Wiki with all the features you'd expect from a wiki, but it lets you create and edit pages with MS Word. We're getting good...

asked Feb 19 '10 at 06:34
Blank
Wordon Wiki
76 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
Rich Internet Applications - your product strategy

Could someone share your experiences if you have created a rich internet application (Adobe AIR ) version of the web application? Or, created a hybrid or lighter version of the web application as a...

asked Jan 21 '10 at 15:42
Blank
Aka Ak
165 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.59K Views
Why do some companies like Apple hide announcing their new product till the last moment

One reason I can understand is that they don't want competitors to find out the features of their product hence releasing their own product before they get a chance to release it themselves. I...

asked Jan 27 '10 at 10:30
Blank
Syed
445 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
5.63K Views
The Return Policy for Handmade Craft

I am interested to open an online shop for selling handmade craft ( something like those displayed on etsy ), but I afraid that there is a tendency for buyers to return and refund goods at will...

asked Jan 11 '10 at 19:27
Blank
Graviton
871 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.78K Views
Importance of Competitive Advantage in Tech Companies

I've always been taught to have a competitive advantage. What makes my company special, different, better, etc. What prevents someone from doing what making something that mimics my business. Well,...

asked Jan 12 '10 at 09:42
Blank
Matt
460 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.96K Views
How do you define or evaluate your strategy?

There are always too many options, too many ideas, too many unknown even too many answers. Do you have any methodology?What tool do you use?How do you define or evaluate your strategy?

asked Jan 19 '10 at 22:17
Blank
Ilker Aksu
113 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
6.94K Views
I created a software product. How and where do I promote it?

So I had an itch to scratch, and out came my startup. Granted it's a simple product, but what it does it does well. Now that it's launched and available for purchase, I'm at a loss for where to...

asked Jan 20 '10 at 03:23
Blank
Jeff Paquette
161 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
2.78K Views
How best to deal with a rising Canadian dollar value for a software company?

My software company is in Canada. We sell our software for download from our web-site. Most of our sales are made in the US, though we do about %25 of our business in Canada and Europe. We sell our...

asked Dec 24 '09 at 04:18
Blank
Joshua Knauer
43 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
Growing Successfully Using Strategic Business Alliances

Traditionally businesses have grown through hiring employees, building and acquiring assets, establishing branches and subsidiaries, etc. but with this comes high overhead, segregation of duties,...

asked Jan 2 '10 at 17:39
Blank
Starr Ed
948 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
Releasing software in different countries

I'm writing a software application that will be used by fostering and adoption agencies/organizations that I plan to sell in English speaking countries (at first). The application is a desktop...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 13:58
Blank
Smart Company Software
1,190 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.7K Views
How do I create a successful Email campaign?

I'm trying to figure out the best way of sending out an email campaign to alert potential customers about my desktop software application for fostering agencies and organizations. I have looked at...

asked Jan 6 '10 at 13:44
Blank
Smart Company Software
1,190 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
2.55K Views
Should I open up my app's data so anyone can use it?

I've built a site for climbers - a worldwide, user editable guidebook for climbers. Recently, I've been toying with the idea of making all of the data that has been submitted to my site open...

asked Nov 21 '09 at 02:40
Blank
Codebeef
148 points