Tax Questions

Entrepreneurs can set up their business as a Sole Proprietorship, C-corporation, S-corporation, partnership, non-profit, Limited Liability Company, or Limited Liability Partnership.

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
How are LLC members taxed?

If an LLC is setup with two members (50% each) and the total income is $200,000 annual, how does that work for each member with regard to taxation? Does each member have to file an income of...

asked Oct 31 '13 at 01:57
Blank
Dustin Davis
272 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Are there any hidden gotchas to choosing different fiscal year?

I'm setting up a C-Corporation (its Mid October at time of this writing) and planning a Kickstarter project projecting to raise $100k in funds by late November. As I understanding, KS funds are...

asked Oct 10 '13 at 04:13
Blank
Michael Lang
16 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Must I Register (as) a Company to Work Freelance / for Myself (in the UK)?

I would like to know whether or not I must register (as) a (limited?) company in order to provide services, or if I must register for self assessment; I'm a little confused about this and am not...

asked Oct 11 '13 at 17:10
Blank
Snooker Fan
113 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
9.08K Views
In a Tax form, what is a DBA?

I am filling up the $800 LLC annual tax form for California and I am not sure what to include in the DBA. I think it means "Doing Business As" but is that just the name of the company again?

asked Oct 18 '13 at 03:47
Blank
Ayrton Senna
124 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.77K Views
Would like to hire a full time programmer from India

I'm looking to hire a full time programmer in India. Of course he would need to pay tax in India. But would I also need to pay tax in USA? If I've got an LLC taxed as an S-Corp in California?

asked Oct 22 '13 at 12:19
Blank
Ron
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
In Canada with a Client from USA

I'm located in Ontario, Canada. I'm in talks with a company in the United States to do a software contract. We met here in Canada. I'm wondering what the tax and regulations of such a contract...

asked Sep 12 '13 at 06:12
Blank
Philip K
166 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
Short year tax form

We need to file our corporate taxes (1120) for a short year and but there aren't any forms available from the IRS for year 2013 yet. Does anyone know what to do in this case? update: the company...

asked Sep 12 '13 at 17:11
Blank
Ent
8 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.77K Views
Where will a two people company do business?

I'm planing to startup a company, that will operate online, with one more person. We are not from the United States but we would like to incorporate it there. Maybe Delaware or California, we are...

asked Sep 22 '13 at 12:12
Blank
Diego Armando Rincon
113 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Collecting sales tax for a web-based LLC in Missouri that ships product

I co-own an LLC in Missouri that ships products that we manufacture to people around the country. I am unclear on when to collect sales tax. There is a lot of conflicting information, and the MO...

asked Sep 24 '13 at 04:41
Blank
Joseph.Hainline
116 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.24K Views
I want to start a limited company in The UK, as I am British, but live in Poland with my girlfriend

About 6 years ago I did have a limited company for Contract Work I was doing for 6 months, it was very simple and no problems. I now live in Poland with my girlfriend and found it difficult to get...

asked Aug 28 '13 at 23:19
Blank
Anthony Kerr
11 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
1.41K Views
Tax Implications of different profit sharing

Assuming 2 partners were to invest an equal amount of cash, say $50,000, but have different ownership/profit distribution should I be worried about potential tax consequences down the line? My...

Tax
asked Aug 29 '13 at 12:28
Blank
User27645
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
I'm a sole proprietorship investing 30k pre-tax money in a new small business

I am investing 30k in a new business with pre-tax money I made this tax year by way of my sole proprietorship. I'm I able to write this off somehow, besides the 10k for start-ups?? If not I was...

asked Sep 1 '13 at 16:28
Blank
Mike C.
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
Owning shares in another LLC, what is the simplest way to go tax-wise?

Let's say I already own a LLC (single-member, disregarded entity). Now, I just closed a new business and have a partner in the US, a new LLC will be formed, with two members - my partner and I. I...

asked Aug 22 '13 at 02:19
Blank
Full Of Caffeine
3 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.38K Views
How do I deal with taxes for foreign (outside of the company's base) on an Internet Services company?

I'm creating a website that will charge users for a online service that is usable anywhere in the world, as an example think of Google Docs. As I understand it I will pay tax revenues based on the...

asked Jul 27 '13 at 14:21
Blank
Dylan
121 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.91K Views
Need tax help for CA LLC selling iOS/Android apps

last year, a friend and i started an LLC in california. we made a couple of mobile apps which we sell through apple, google, amazon, etc. shortly after that, i co-founded another startup, which has...

asked Aug 1 '13 at 07:58
Blank
Ben H
106 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.71K Views
Tax question for a new startup

When I note expenses for tax deductions, the IRS states that assets aren't considered 'assets' until they are in use by the business. As a new business, we have items such as computers, desks,...

asked Aug 11 '13 at 13:36
Blank
Cbronson
3 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.01K Views
How to employ independent contractors on a recurring basis?

In my startup I plan to hire independent contractors for recurring ad-hoc jobs. If freelancers are usually not business entities and do not have a possibility to give an invoice, how can I legally...

asked Jul 15 '13 at 00:20
Blank
Shikaka
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.88K Views
LLC, single person, internet-only business: what state am I "doing business" in if I'm perma-travelling?

I have a question similar to this one, with one difference: I'm going to be running my business while travelling the world over the next few years, both in the US and out. (I'm a resident of...

asked Jun 12 '13 at 15:56
Blank
Archagon
111 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.76K Views
I live in California but will be consulting in Texas, where do I register my LLC?

I primarily live in California, but own a home in Texas. I will be fundraising for a Texas start-up, getting paid commission. Prospective funders are from all over the world. Where do I register my...

asked Jun 20 '13 at 05:09
Blank
Lsm0415
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.29K Views
Do I have To Pay Taxes In The US?

I own a website and I sell digital content. I'm a non-resident alien with the US. Most of my customers are US based so I was wondering... Will I have to pay any taxes to the US? I have read that...

asked Jun 28 '13 at 12:24
Blank
Jose Rodrigues
11 points