Tax Questions

Entrepreneurs can set up their business as a Sole Proprietorship, C-corporation, S-corporation, partnership, non-profit, Limited Liability Company, or Limited Liability Partnership.

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.79K Views
EIN after conversion from LLC to c-corp

We converted (created new entity then merged) from an LLC to a c-corp. The new c-corp has a different EIN than the LLC. Do we need to notify/update our employees, clients and vendors about the new...

asked Feb 18 '13 at 06:23
Blank
Aaron
8 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.6K Views
Advice on the need for a foreign subsidiary

We'd like to startup a company that is seen as a UK company and be governed by UK laws, including Privacy laws. However, all of our operations, management and control will reside in Canada at least...

asked Jan 29 '13 at 06:34
Blank
Kate
99 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
Ownership without investment. Help

I started work at a company a few months back. I was brought in to head up a new division in the company. That division is separating as it's own LLC. I won't be investing any money into the new...

asked Feb 2 '13 at 02:43
Blank
Jane
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
Single-member LLC and filling out tax forms for advertisers who pay me

I have accounts with various advertisers and affiliate companies - let's just say Amazon Affiliates for the purposes of this discussion - and I've now registered a single-member LLC. During the...

asked Feb 8 '13 at 11:05
Blank
Artem Russakovskii
106 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.81K Views
Calculating mileage for reimbursement

My wife is starting as a dance instructor while working at a regular job. Her studio space requires that she drive a fair distance to and from the house, and I have a couple of questions on how to...

asked Jan 14 '13 at 04:56
Blank
John P
101 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.86K Views
Tax implications of an overseas business running a Kickstarter campaign via a US or UK person's account

If an overseas business runs a Kickstarter campaign via a US or UK person's account, does anyone know what the tax implications would be for a US resident? Does anyone know what the tax...

asked Jan 23 '13 at 21:17
Blank
Mark Sheppard
16 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.74K Views
Do I need to report income

I am not receiving tax form (1099K) from Paypal because I didn't generate 20,000 of sales. This means that Paypal did not report those yearnings to IRS. Does that mean that I shouldn't count those...

Tax
asked Jan 26 '13 at 02:55
Blank
Dev.E.Loper
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
Do I need to pay tax on shares earned?

I am working on a project in my spare time with a friend. The project has the potential to make money in the future. We want to run the project democratically and non-hierarchically. We have...

asked Jan 28 '13 at 20:59
Blank
Erik Straughn
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.2K Views
Acquiring Tax ID Number

We just got filed as an official LLC in CT and were wondering how we get our Tax ID number(EIN). We would like to open a bank account for the company and assume we need that to open one.

asked Jan 2 '13 at 06:40
Blank
Matt Clark
135 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.8K Views
Expat looking to create a Tech Startup

I am considering starting a Tech focused startup. I am married to a German and currently live in Germany but I am a US citizen. I am wondering where is the best place to register a new company, if...

asked Jan 4 '13 at 07:13
Blank
Motleydev
8 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.65K Views
Will I REALLY save on taxes by incorporating offshore?

I'm about to launch a product and need to register a company (in order to handle payments for my product, and get a merchant account). I'll give specific information on my own situation below, but...

asked Jan 6 '13 at 00:25
Blank
Nick Budden
129 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
Can I deduct mileage from my home office if the IRS doesn't recognize it as one?

I have an office in my home which is my only base of business operations. However, it's not exclusively used for business purposes. (As a freelance software developer, the line between work and...

Tax
asked Jan 9 '13 at 03:45
Blank
Peeja
108 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.67K Views
S-Corporation Filing an extension with profits

So, you have a S-Corporation with profits, there's an ownership dispute with a court date in May, after the filing date of March 15th. Should the S-Corporation file an extension? So normally,...

asked Jan 13 '13 at 12:54
Blank
N L
18 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.18K Views
Does a US employer need to pay any taxes for a non-US freelancer hired online?

We own an International Web Development company and get hired from all over the globe. We need to know if one of our US clients, needs to pay taxes for hiring us. They paid us $750.00USD via...

asked Jan 13 '13 at 15:08
Blank
Juapo2 Services
13 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
Accounting method for software business

I'm nearly complete and preparing to launch my business. However, I've noticed that taxes aren't as simple as everyone makes them out to be. I'm mostly confused about cash vs accrual accounting for...

asked Dec 17 '12 at 16:00
Blank
Asdaf3wq
18 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
Non-US Citizen Corporation

I'm not-US citizen that want to incorporate C-Corp. My company should based on advertisements as primary income. I will fly to US in order to open US bank account. I'm not intend to hiring...

asked Dec 7 '12 at 02:42
Blank
Terry
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.88K Views
Hiring people in multiple European countries and payroll taxes

Suppose I have a company that's incorporated in France and that I want to hire a few sales people in several European countries to help sell my Saas subscription. Do I need to incorporate a...

asked Dec 8 '12 at 07:40
Blank
Frenchie
4,166 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.77K Views
How to dissolve an LLC and transfer assets?

I just moved states. From what I'm reading online, I have a few options, but the one I've decided to go with is to dissolve my LLC in the old state, and form a sole-proprietorship in the new one to...

asked Dec 9 '12 at 18:27
Blank
John Z
216 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.47K Views
Shipping goods from India to Texas

I am starting a clothing business and have a manufacturer in Mumbai, India. Do I pay and Indian tax and/or a US tax for importing/exporting? THANKS

asked Dec 11 '12 at 03:40
Blank
Lisa Armstrong
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.78K Views
Reselling US digital products from UK. VAT / tax question

I am a UK resident w/ UK ltd company which is looking to market digital products e.g ebooks, video courses, software and newsletters for example. Most vendors and customers would be based in the...

asked Dec 11 '12 at 16:37
Blank
Mark
1 point