Trademark Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Trademark for Domain Name

I am currently in the process of building a website and would like to know how I can register a trademark for the name of my website (to avoid possible problems with the competition). What I am...

asked Apr 10 '12 at 06:53
Blank
Ben
136 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.1K Views
reverse words trademark: OK?

The name that we'd like to use for a new web application is a 2-word name (e.g. "Leaf Quick", with a space) that's already a registered trademark in the reverse (e.g. "QuickLeaf", no space). Both...

asked Apr 6 '12 at 10:01
Blank
Buggy Licious
3 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.48K Views
Semicolon in company name?

I have a great idea for a company name, but it requires the semicolon character ; in order to work. Do you think it would be possible to have a semicolon in the company name? I know...

asked Mar 16 '12 at 01:07
Blank
Eero Heikkinen
118 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.73K Views
Using brand logos for polls on my website?

I make some polls on my website, like : What do you prefer Ford Explorer or Toyota 4Runner? Is such a poll allowed without explicit permission of Toyota and Ford? Next step: Can I use their...

asked Feb 20 '12 at 23:05
Blank
Alisia123
13 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.87K Views
Generalistic-sounding COM domain available. Any trademark/patent issues?

I've been doing choosing of an appropriate domain name for my upcoming startup and I've identified a bunch of potentially usable names. They are available on COM. But! They are rather generalistic...

asked Jan 26 '12 at 21:41
Blank
Fobo
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
What actions are associated with registering a company/software name?

I live in Austria, Europe. I am a software developer and I would like to distribute my software under the name of my company. So I consider the following: I might want to register the name for...

asked Jan 23 '12 at 02:38
Blank
Martin
130 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.41K Views
How to handle Cease and Desist from huge company

I'm wondering what, if anything, my company should do about a cease and desist from a huge company. In a nutshell, we received a letter from a senior attorney to "cease any and all use of the trade...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 06:03
Blank
Jamie
128 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.28K Views
Is it necessary to use a law firm to file a trademark?

Just got quoted 3k from our legal team to file for a trademark. They cited their search report was much more thorough than what we could do on our own. Anybody filed successful trademarks on their...

asked Jan 14 '12 at 08:47
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.54K Views
The usage of the word Apollo

I'm thinking of starting a small web design company and I want to use the word "Apollo" within it. Is this a word I have to ask permission to use from NASA or something? Especially if I call it...

asked Dec 28 '11 at 14:28
Blank
Michael Rader
118 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.95K Views
Is my new name going to be trademarkable?

Ok, I think I'm going to give up my company name (see here: Trademark infringement - does it really sounds that bad? ) Given my situation I need to make sure: Nobody will go after me again (it...

asked Dec 14 '11 at 07:05
Blank
Katit
276 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.97K Views
Is Android and android the same trademark?

Is the uppercase implementation of Android the only thing that is trademark, like it is with Google or both, because android is in reference to a robot? If they did trademark both does that...

asked Dec 15 '11 at 04:22
Blank
Daryl
16 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.2K Views
Domains and trademark issues

When my company first got setup and registered domains, we were unable to get the .com of our company name, as it was already registered. We have all of the other top level domains for our name...

asked Dec 17 '11 at 03:31
Blank
Bwasson
1,162 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Trademark infringement - does it really sounds that bad?

Ok, I want to know your opinions on my situation. Ideally I'd like examples and outcomes.. I have company registered as IBATT and domain name was also available (spent tons of time finding this...

asked Dec 6 '11 at 10:28
Blank
Katit
276 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.07K Views
Can I register a domain that includes a registered trademark, such as "firefox-debugger.com"?

I'm planning to build an addon for a platform, can I register a domain name with that platform's name in it? i.e. iphone-flashlight.com firefox-debugger.com search-onstartups.com What do you...

asked Nov 27 '11 at 01:11
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.71K Views
Publishing data from a race that I didn't organize or don't own

I'm planning a site where users can upload race results of races they either participated in or were the organizer/owner of. This is in a specific animal racing niche. There is one race in...

asked Oct 19 '11 at 04:32
Blank
Dustin Kendall
108 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
How do I protect my company name?

I have business I want to start online. I already have the domain name and very soon the logo. I want to offer this services to anyone online. So what is the best way to protect the name of my...

asked Oct 19 '11 at 05:16
Blank
Jean Nicolas Boulay Desjardins
162 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
How can I protect my self legally from illegal content from users on my website?

I am building a web app where users will be able to add content to it. Pictures, texte, video, etc. I was wandering what would happen if a user puts something illegal. Am I responsable? Or is...

asked Oct 19 '11 at 12:35
Blank
Jean Nicolas Boulay Desjardins
162 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.75K Views
Domain name and trademark

I've recently registered a domain name, but was contacted by a big-name toy company recently, saying my domain name infringed on their trademark. The domain name does contain a toy's name (within...

asked Oct 14 '11 at 04:43
Blank
Locuz
11 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
3.1K Views
What is the difference between company name, brand and trademark?

I have some ideas that I plans to execute later. But for the moment, I want to "secure" the name, logo etc. of the business. I for one cannot seem to figure out the difference between the company...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 05:32
Blank
Sriram
174 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.52K Views
Can I claim a federal trade mark by selling to other states over the internet?

I have registered a state trade mark for products I am selling in Hawaii. I am also starting to sell them over the internet on the mainland (mail order) so I am wondering if this gives me national...

asked Sep 7 '11 at 05:20
Blank
Aline
6 points