Trademark Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.64K Views
Legally get the TM .COM domain

I have a TM, let's call it 'brandX'. Is there a way that I can legally get brandX.com domain without having to pay tons of money for it? Thanks

asked Nov 14 '10 at 10:17
Blank
Tiago
333 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.21K Views
New Website - Protecting It

We're starting up a new website. We already have the domain registered and we are going to begin development ASAP. We are going to hire someone to put together a logo for us as well as a front end...

asked Oct 26 '10 at 23:09
Blank
Scott
165 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.03K Views
Trademarks on company name - would "BodyLife" and "BodyForLife" collide?

I'm trying to understand how similarities in trademarks are dealt with. To take an example (that I used in a previous unrelated question), assuming a trademark existed for "BodyLife", a company...

asked Oct 19 '10 at 20:47
Blank
J Delage
277 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.83K Views
Is it fair use/protected use to use a registered trademark on my website

We provide software that can measure performance of another company's product which happens to be trademarked (word/phrase - not a symbol). We want to name it specifically. Is this protected/fair...

asked Oct 21 '10 at 15:08
Blank
Tim J
8,346 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.41K Views
How can I determine if someone owns the intellectual property rights to a word game?

I found a really cool word game that I would like to implement as a mobile app, though I don't if anyone owns the right to the concept. I know there are many games out there, such as Poker or...

asked Sep 28 '10 at 13:07
Blank
Beeeefy
108 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.62K Views
Am I Infringing on their trademark?

I have a software program launching in approx three months. Yesterday I found out that the desired name of my software is very similar to another company's software product. Although the products...

asked Jul 11 '10 at 08:20
Blank
Tanvir Chowdhury
165 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
3.51K Views
Trademarks: do I need to register them in every country?

We are selling a product internationally through our e-commerce based in Hong Kong and were wondering if our Hong Kong trademarks have any legal power in other jurisdictions. If not, do we really...

asked Apr 7 '10 at 06:26
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
Advice on protecting a business name in the US

There is plenty of material here on when to incorporate in the US for tax or other business reasons, for example: When to set up the LLC Worth it to incorporate When does it make sense to...

asked Apr 8 '10 at 19:04
Blank
Steve Wilkinson
2,744 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.39K Views
should I register the product's name (a commercial software)?

EDIT I could formulate my question differently... Seen that this is a startup forum, there may be a possibility that someone else has written and sold a commercial software (I've got nearly 200...

asked Mar 13 '10 at 07:25
Blank
Tristan St.
180 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
6.5K Views
How to use the trademarked term "iPhone" in a Google Ad?

Let's say I developed a program for iPhone (which I sort of did) and want to advertise it through AdWords. Currently, Google lets you use the term "iPhone" in the keyword list, but doesn't allow...

asked Feb 3 '10 at 19:43
Blank
Oleg Kokorin
459 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.77K Views
How did Apple manage to get its trademark?

I mean, isn't "Apple" a bit generic ? Could that kind of word still be trademarked in 2010 or would the request be rejected ?

asked Jan 21 '10 at 11:00
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

16 Votes
6 Answers
4.88K Views
Is it worth it to register a trademark for a software product that I am developing?

I am working on a new software product, it is a web-based contact manager and I would like to know if I should register the name as a trademark? is it worth it? and if so, should I do it myself or...

asked Oct 17 '10 at 09:49
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points