UK Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
4.79K Views
Easiest way for UK startup to get onto Microsoft BizSpark program?

For the past few days I have been trying and failing to get onto Microsoft's BizSpark program. I left my day job and incorporated last week and am now setting up my development machines. I really...

asked Jun 21 '11 at 22:09
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.54K Views
what is the best way to do a freelancing job over the summer for a student?

I am a full time student, studying in the UK with UK address. I would like to do a one time job for a company based in the USA. It will last about one month, and is mostly about creating a video...

asked Jun 7 '11 at 00:25
Blank
Zsero
106 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
UK one-man software house Ltd - should director have employment contract?

Scenario: A one-man, self-funding software developer with a software-licensing business model. Startup is self funding with no revenue anticipated for at least 1.5 years. My query relates mainly...

asked May 26 '11 at 08:29
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
3.65K Views
How does one go about finding shared office space, specifically in the UK?

I'm currently working from home, but finding this too solitary, and also need a change of environment in general so I'm considering moving cities. I think this is a great time to branch out of my...

asked Jun 1 '11 at 07:27
Blank
Ocharles
126 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.53K Views
UK based subscription web app - best payment provider for $5 per month payments

I am currently developing a SaaS product and am at an impasse in terms of how to charge. The subscription is only going to be $5 per month. Although I'm in the UK, my main market is going to be...

asked Jun 2 '11 at 18:35
Blank
Sam Delaney
28 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
UK limited company exit mechanism

Can anyone tell me the mechanism by which a UK technology business is acquired? Does the acquirer usually buy: all the outstanding shares in the limited company, or, all the assets and...

asked Jun 3 '11 at 01:12
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.53K Views
Bootstrapping UK startup tax, VAT and Tax Credits?

I am on the verge of quitting my day job to work full time on a startup, solo initially. It seems that I could become eligible for a swathe of UK tax credits. These are pretty lucrative but they...

asked May 10 '11 at 19:53
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.17K Views
UK taxation of startup gain due to IP

I learnt today that if an author assigns copyright of his book to a publisher for a fee, the net revenue is taxed as income, not as capital gains. On the other hand, one would normally think...

asked May 11 '11 at 02:15
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Extract tax efficient earnings for owner

So, I know this is a question probably for my accountant, but I want to do a little research myself. What is the most tax efficient way to extract earnings as an owner..? I have a small startup...

asked May 11 '11 at 19:17
Blank
Dave Sumter
136 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.07K Views
[UK] Pros and cons of self billing for first time contractor?

I've just started my own company and I'm initially contracting - I've been asked if I want to send invoices, or do self billing. I've had a look online and I can't see any reason not to self bill,...

asked Apr 26 '11 at 18:46
Blank
Martyn
128 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
Starting a UK Subsidiary

I am a US company (S-corporation) and I need to start processing payments through the UK for Europeans. What is the easiest way to set up a subsidiary or part of the company over in the UK? All...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 09:26
Blank
Nextgenneo
327 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.85K Views
Datacenter internet UK? (Where to get 1GBPS?)

I'm planning to have one good server computer (Intel Xeon processor) running some linux server distro handling all the files for my file hosting website. I can buy it plenty of space (I assume I...

asked Apr 13 '11 at 17:44
Blank
User9331
113 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.26K Views
What are the most startup-friendly options for mobile payments? (UK)

A young team in the UK has come up with a neat way of creating a social application to help people keep their promises - for instance, keeping up-to-date with their coursework. Without getting...

asked Mar 22 '11 at 19:59
Blank
Jeremy Parsons
5,197 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.78K Views
What is the most affordable combination for taking credit card payments online from around the world?

I have looked at the similar questions posted and believe mine is different - please read the specifics of my question below: Assuming we do not want to use PayPal (or Google Checkout etc.), it...

asked Mar 8 '11 at 01:28
Blank
Nikolay Piryankov
683 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
Cheques made out in business name (UK)

I am planning on setting up a private limited company with my brother. We are going to register with the companies house with the business name (example) "123". Once we are registered, and have a...

asked Mar 1 '11 at 09:34
Blank
Tom
480 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.47K Views
Loan from directors to the company

How might you record a loan from directors to the company in the books? From my perspective this is an investment into the company which I hope will be refunded when the company makes...

asked Jan 5 '11 at 05:56
Blank
Romkyns
118 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
The best place to start to manufacture a FMCG?

I think I may have found a niche in FMCG. If I am looking to manufacture something (not a food), where would be the best place to start in finding manufacturers? I am based in the UK. I believe I...

asked Dec 4 '10 at 22:46
Blank
Aluminari
6 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.53K Views
How to market web based beauty salon management software in UK?

I'm looking for new ways to market our product, a web based software targeted primarily at spas, hair & beauty salons (and could be used by dentists or other small appointment-based businesses)...

asked Nov 26 '10 at 08:53
Blank
Martynas
18 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
Is there any way to predict how competent authorities will decide tax treaty issues beforehand?

I have been studying the UK/US double tax treaty and it's explanation in anticipation of the creation of a US subsidiary wholly owned by a small internet-based company in the UK. It seems as though...

asked Oct 26 '10 at 04:58
Blank
Brian
28 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
4.27K Views
New Product Ideas - how to get started

I've got several ideas for new products that I think might fill various gaps in the market. However, I'm unsure where to start. I'm not an engineer, nor do I have access to facilities to create...

asked Oct 20 '10 at 00:35
Blank
Pm 2
133 points