USA Questions

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.87K Views
US trademark law

I came across Microsoft Surface today, and one tiny detail get me thinking. There is a small "TM" next to the word "Surface", can they do that? Can a common word like surface be trademarked like...

asked Jun 19 '12 at 17:09
Blank
Martin Kristiansen
102 points

9 Votes
5 Answers
2.81K Views
Can someone under 18 start a business in the US?

I'm 15, and I want to repair computers, which I've recently found out is considered a business even if I just do it from home? Can someone start a business when they're under 18?

asked Jun 14 '12 at 08:03
Blank
Orcris
148 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
US Citizen Being a Member of a UK LLP?

Suppose a US citizen becomes a member of a UK LLP, along with 2 other foreigners (non-US citizens). Assume each one of the three has a 33.3% share in the UK LLP. The LLP starts working, and has a...

asked May 17 '12 at 00:59
Blank
User3262424
107 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.8K Views
How to register an IT company in USA?

My brother-in-law in India wants to open(register) an IT company in US. Is that possible? How? And if now, then I'm here in US with a student visa. Can I register an IT company in USA and help...

asked May 18 '12 at 04:19
Blank
Jigar Brahmbhatt
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
4.4K Views
What is the legal and tax implication of a US company (Texas C Corp) hiring employees directly in India

I am the co-founder/shareholder of a US based software startup (Texas C Corp). Due to some personal reasons I have had to move to India and to make the most of it, I am planning on hiring a few...

asked May 9 '12 at 14:32
Blank
Rajat Mittal
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Starting up a company in the U.S. and Canada?

I am a U.S. citizen working in Canada on a work visa. A small team and I have been working on a startup in our free time up here in the great north, so we're primarily based out of Canada. However,...

asked Mar 26 '12 at 11:19
Blank
Marisa Bernstein
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.93K Views
Contract jurisdiction venue

I'm in the process of closing a somewhat sizable deal with a new client, and the only sticking point with the contract is the choice of jurisdiction. I am located in state A, the client in state...

asked Mar 27 '12 at 04:38
Blank
Josh3736
116 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.3K Views
Setting up a small business in United States with Canadian citizenship?

Where can I find more information on setting up a small business in USA as a Canadian citizen? I need to incorporate in the USA, would this automatically allow me to work in USA? Or does there need...

asked Mar 24 '12 at 15:53
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.5K Views
Does a UK company pay tax in the USA?

I was looking at a previous question on the subject and it mentioned a form 1120-F for foreign corporations. Does this mean that foreign corporations who do business in the USA must pay US...

asked Mar 6 '12 at 02:56
Blank
Steve Jones
3,239 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.44K Views
Filing US income taxes for income from working from home for Bahamas-based company

I am a salesman for a Bahamas based domain name registrar and hosting company. I work out of NY from my home and am a US citizen. How do I report my income to the IRS? The company I work for...

asked Feb 13 '12 at 01:52
Blank
Gian Guisi
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
Do I need to incorporate in the US to run events?

I'm from Germany and want to run small events (around 50 participants) in the United States, which involve the sale of tickets (probably online) and payment to contractors which contribute to the...

asked Feb 16 '12 at 08:05
Blank
Benjamin
16 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Starting a business from the UK as self employed, with an eventual goal to employ US Citizens and move to the US to work - possible?

I'm currently working on building an online business based around travel and tourism and eventually I'll need to employ people in the US, located in a specific area. The end goal is that I'll be...

asked Feb 9 '12 at 01:01
Blank
Rick M
118 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.11K Views
Are you taxed on revenue or income?

As a single owner of an LLC, are you required to pay taxes on the LLC's profit or revenue?

asked Jan 31 '12 at 00:10
Blank
Ali
179 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
Ethicality of hiring a former student?

Background: I'm both administrative staff for a university, and I'm the owner of a small business. I've been working with a particular student at the university on some university grant work, and...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 05:03
Blank
Smokris
121 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.53K Views
Duties & Taxes involved in importing into the US

We are a UK private limited company who export from India direct to our customers in the UK, we are now looking to export from India into the US. My question is regarding the import duties and...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 08:10
Blank
Dav
8 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
Create a US Company but working abroad

I want to create a company in the US and in the process obtain a Investor Visa. Although we want to focus on the US market, our plans are not to move right away there. The main reason is the...

asked Dec 29 '11 at 19:34
Blank
Javier Chamizo
6 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.78K Views
Suggest best way to process payments?

We are from NJ. Our start up consists of 2 people. Previously, all of our clients were through our contacts, so we just accepted cheques for payment and deposited them in our Bank of America small...

asked Dec 18 '11 at 11:25
Blank
Varchar1
33 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
4.04K Views
Can I do volunteer work for Non profit Organization while on H1B for other company?

I am currently on H1B visa, I want to do some volunteer work for a non profit organization on my free time and weekends, helping with some web development. I will not get any monetary benefits from...

asked Dec 26 '11 at 04:45
Blank
User995487
28 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.47K Views
Three-person startup not sure which state to incorporate in

Currently forming a three-person startup; our members live in Tampa, Florida & Hayward, California & Arlington, Virginia. It will be a politics-based web game, and we are reasonably sure...

asked Dec 11 '11 at 07:33
Blank
Fox
126 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.38K Views
We are an LLC from NJ, can we hire this guy from Canada, who is a temporary resident?

We are a small software based start up in NJ, we recently got a couple of projects from Canada and we're loving them. We came across this guy in Canada, he is very talented and we think he will...

asked Dec 5 '11 at 08:02
Blank
Varchar1
33 points