Venture Capital Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.69K Views
How would the WhatsApp acquisition change Sequoia?

Sequoia converted their $60 million to $3 billion! That's over a 50x return. And overall, their fund is now 5x. How would this effect the way Sequoia invests in startups? Do you think they will now...

asked Feb 21 '14 at 10:40
Blank
Bryan Gil
160 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
Typical angel financing terms for mobile app startup?

What would you say are the average angel financing terms for a mobile app that is built and launched on the app store but yet to gain a large amount of traction? We're planning on listing...

asked Feb 18 '14 at 23:40
Blank
Joyce Cullen
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.87K Views
Could you raise money for a popular app that has no monetization strategy?

Lets say I have an app or site that is quite popular, but there isn't a clear monetization plan, would investors still be willing to take a risk on such a venture? I would like to believe so...

asked Feb 18 '14 at 15:37
Blank
Karl Davies
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
Is approaching high-profile VCs the same as angel investors?

Would one need any thing special to keep in mind? Are there any unspoken protocols that people follow? I have heard that most VCs won't entertain you unless you come through a referral. Is that...

asked Feb 7 '14 at 19:17
Blank
Wilfredo
11 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.54K Views
Few large investors or many small investors? Which is better?

Is trying hard to get many large VCs to invest in your company or using something like AngelList to get many smaller angel investors? What are the pros and cons of each approach?

asked Feb 4 '14 at 15:18
Blank
Rebena
17 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.05K Views
What is the biggest challenge that startups face?

Question for all of you startups out there: What's been your greatest challenge? Or what have you needed the most help with? Creating a Business Strategy Raising Money (Finding and/or Pitching...

asked Dec 6 '13 at 08:01
Blank
The Start Up Team
59 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.93K Views
Do all parties in a Venture round get an equal stake for their money

When you hear about a "$10M Series X round lead by X" and see that it is a consortium of 5 different funds / investors do all the parties get an equal stake for their share. ie. if there where 5...

asked Oct 11 '13 at 06:02
Blank
Sam
123 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.7K Views
What investment finance options are available to exit your angel investors?

Id like to know what investment options, equity or debt financing options exists amongst VC Firms for Entrepreneurs wanting to buy out their Investors stake in the business. In other words, exit...

asked Sep 20 '13 at 06:30
Blank
T.G. Van Zyl
11 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
2.93K Views
How to answer "What kind of protection do you have"

Every time I do a pitch for any software idea I'm asked "What kind of protection do you have?" and it always stumps me. I've asked others and they don't have a good idea either. As a start up...

asked Aug 27 '13 at 21:48
Blank
Keith Loughnane
138 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.23K Views
Does an entrepreneur really need to rely on incubator for angel or venture funding?

Does an entrepreneur really need to rely on incubator for angel or venture funding? I feel if an entrepreneur is already confident of a business and has sound business plan, should be given angel...

asked Sep 8 '13 at 21:42
Blank
Prakash
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
Equity options/logistics for first hire

We're in the process of hiring our first employee and trying to figure out logistics given that we're making the employment offer in parallel with our seed funding. All of our current funding up to...

asked Jul 6 '13 at 11:07
Blank
User26911
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.85K Views
How to raise funding without a prototype

I would greatly appreciate some guidance or ideas of more experienced entrepreneurs. I am working on a complex startup that involves the development of a robot with complex software. In order to...

asked Jul 15 '13 at 06:01
Blank
Pmolina7
11 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.47K Views
How can I raise venture capital for a free and ad-free venture?

I am planning to start an online company, which would be a social tool, much like instagram and kik messenger, but I fail to see how these companies promise to return the investor's money. History...

asked Jul 1 '13 at 13:23
Blank
Jani Kovacs
75 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.21K Views
Stock Option Calculation

I received offer from company that just raised Series A round. I'm trying to determine a method of finding out how much my stock options are worth. They gave me multiple offers with varying...

asked Jul 2 '13 at 16:34
Blank
Harmon
6 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.78K Views
When is the best time to look for seed funding for a web-based app - before launch or after?

I have been developing a web-based eCommerce niche app for the past year and am getting close to launching. While I cannot disclose too many details, lets just call it a sort of Shopify, but taking...

asked Jul 2 '13 at 22:01
Blank
User1227914
131 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.05K Views
Term sheet condition states we have to use the investor's law firm

Our company has just received a term sheet for a convertible debt investment. One of the clauses states that we have to pay the fees for drafting the agreements (which I understand is normal), but...

asked Apr 25 '13 at 07:20
Blank
Phil
114 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.22K Views
How do you decide between looking for investment or early adopters?

My MVP is ready to go (it's been 3 weeks actually). All this time I've been loosing sleep trying to decide if I should start looking for and organizing early adopters, or organizing a business plan...

asked Mar 27 '13 at 01:16
Blank
South
176 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
Angel or VC wants to invest, what are main arguments to negotiate shares vs investment?

what are main arguments to negotiate shares vs investment? I want to be prepared when the time comes and I don't want to figure out in the moment about the negotiation about shares split and how...

asked Mar 30 '13 at 04:00
Blank
South
176 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
Meeting with "right" folks?

I have developed a brand new product that meets all the financial (cost / price / marketetr size, etc.) hurdles, as well as the operational constraints (size, weight, strength, portability,...

asked Mar 11 '13 at 12:03
Blank
Charlie
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.82K Views
Finding Investors/partners to fulfill the following needs

You've probably heard this before, but I came up with the idea for great product and I developed it. I measured the demand for it personally, by demonstrating it to the target audience and got a...

asked Mar 16 '13 at 02:03
Blank
Mi Gusta
120 points