Venture Capital Questions

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
It is common for salaries to stay below market rate even after an initial venture round?

I am employee #1 in a startup with some substantial equity in it. Our startup was funded by angel money and I have worked from the beginning for a salary way below market rate. Now, venture round...

asked Mar 17 '13 at 02:55
Blank
User25504
16 points

-3 Votes
1 Answers
2.24K Views
How much equity is normal for a programming VC to take for developing a mobile app?

I'm in the process of developing a mobile app for a niche industry B to C. We have an established brand in 17 countries (hard goods)and significant credibility in our industry. It's not, but as an...

asked Feb 25 '13 at 23:17
Blank
Anonymous
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.82K Views
Followed by a cloud VC investor on Twitter - should we contact him?

We have a small but rapidly growing cloud based product which is currently free and we are about to move into the monetization stage. In the last week we have been followed on Twitter by a tech VC...

asked Feb 12 '13 at 21:52
Blank
Bhttoan
735 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.02K Views
Thoughts on offering Software development in return for Equity for a tech startup

I have been developing some software for an online venture in return for significant equity. I am working with another founder who is developing the business. The current thinking is to value our...

asked Feb 6 '13 at 07:51
Blank
Sam Jolly
116 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
VC Option Shenanigans

My company is being acquired by a public company (both US based). When we were all hired, our employment contracts stated we'd be granted x number of stock options. I'll say 250,000. That was 3...

asked Jan 15 '13 at 03:53
Blank
User23535
28 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.21K Views
Do startups need to incorporate to receive funding?

If a startup is going to take venture capital, is it necessary to incorporate so shares can be exchanged to the VC firm? Is it the same with angel or individual investors?

asked Jan 19 '13 at 14:02
Blank
4th Space
125 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
Get foreign investment (US VCs and Angels) for startup in Europe

We are a startup in Europe. (A Saas music web app + mobile app and we are now exiting from stealth mode.) I wonder how to reach US Venture Capitalists and Angels from Europe. We are incorporating...

asked Jan 20 '13 at 18:49
Blank
Mike
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.86K Views
With the rampant invest-in-clone-markets system prominent in India, how does one pitch in for some fresh concept?

Angels and VCs in India seem to be living in a "third world" in terms of their risk appetite and appreciation of a new concept or idea. A major part of funding to startups in India goes to...

asked Jan 27 '13 at 07:31
Blank
Ikartik90
108 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
Product in Development what to do next?

My product is in development. By Feb 5th a beta should be released. For the mean time aside from getting traffic to prelaunch what else should I do ? I am the nontech founder. So Far I have...

asked Jan 28 '13 at 06:22
Blank
Ted
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Different stages of VC finance and were the company / product is in its life / development cycle

You hear a lot in the media about _ raised a stage A round of x million, or ___ just got seed funding from a group of angel investors. But what's never explained is the stage that these companies...

asked Dec 28 '12 at 09:05
Blank
Sam
123 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.6K Views
What are the steps for getting a tech startup off the ground when you're the only team member?

I'm a software developer with over a decade of experience writing code. I've recently had an idea for a tech startup and am in the process of creating a prototype website and a pitch deck for the...

asked Dec 9 '12 at 04:56
Blank
Scott
136 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
4.48K Views
How to Research and Determine Total Available Market (TAM) and Serviceable Available Market (SAM)

I'm working on the executive summary for my website idea and need to figure out the total market capitalization for the this industry. For example, if all the yearly advertising (and other)...

asked Oct 21 '12 at 11:42
Blank
User19815
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
Telefonica's incubator: Wayra. Too good to be true or am I missing others?

Wayra is an initiative regarding startups (theoretically not only tech) founded by telefonica in 2011. Having started with the premises to form incubators only in 8 latin-american countries +...

asked Oct 23 '12 at 00:46
Blank
Quinestor
126 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
Start up is getting offer to have website developed for "profit sharing"

I have an idea for a website that myself and a partner have started to get going. One of our first steps was speaking with a web developer. The site may run over our budget. The developer (who is a...

asked Sep 19 '12 at 10:28
Blank
Melissa
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.7K Views
Working @ Startup. Need help reading their most recent SEC Filing

Our Company just raised another round of funding (5MM). I took a peak at the SEC filing and it was confusing. See below: Total Offering Amount $18,500,000 USD Total Amount Sold $9,777,138 USD...

asked Aug 28 '12 at 03:49
Blank
User19426
8 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.94K Views
Are there European Union funds for tech startups?

We are a young team willing to launch a tech startup (we have the product ready), and we are looking for funding to develop it further. We are looking to take advantage of European Union...

asked Aug 9 '12 at 20:11
Blank
Ra Sal
21 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
2.35K Views
Getting Funds for a Startup

Im starting my Startup with $0, a Mac, and A Windows. I need Startup Money but I don't want to get it from Venture Capital. What kinds of Methods are there? Thanks

asked Aug 14 '12 at 09:44
Blank
Coder404
136 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
New business. How *exactly* does one raise VC capital, or any other startup capital?

First off I'm very glad to have found this exchange because a lot of questions will be forthcoming from me. The skinny: I started a new business a couple months ago, an LLC. My skill set is in...

asked Jul 26 '12 at 10:51
Blank
Manchine
104 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
1.84K Views
Technology Accelerator or Bootstrapping

I have a few ideas for a company, and plan to get started sometime this fall. I know of an accelerator that focuses on this vertical, and I have contacts there so reaching out to them would be...

asked Jul 11 '12 at 17:00
Blank
Lenwood
151 points

0 Votes
5 Answers
2.88K Views
Funding with no revenue but have traction

If you have a startup that is free for all users and does not generate revenue, but the site/product is used by a lot of people so you have a lot of users, would a VC potentially give you funding...

asked Jul 21 '12 at 08:23
Blank
Lulu
1 point