Venture Capital Questions

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.12K Views
Will a VC give me seed money even if my idea is not unique but viable?

I want to start a small local business. There is nothing unique or innovative about it, but there is enough demand in the market. I have no college education. Will VC still consider me?

asked Nov 13 '10 at 01:15
Blank
User5359
48 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
4.57K Views
Typically, what percentage of the company is sold during each round of funding

Typically, what percentage of the company is sold during each round of funding: angel investment or seed round, and A, B, and C venture capital rounds. The goal, I suppose, is the hold enough back...

asked Nov 17 '10 at 16:09
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

8 Votes
6 Answers
3.58K Views
First-time meeting with a VC and Angel Investor

Just to give some background, I'm building a software as a service offering which is almost in private beta and I have a few customers lined up to start using it at launch. Its a solo gig so far,...

asked Oct 9 '10 at 14:15
Blank
Javid Jamae
347 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
What are questions every VC should ask a startup?

Believe the question explains itself, but if you have questions, just let me know.

asked Oct 13 '10 at 09:25
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
8.25K Views
Revenue Multiples for Tech Startups

Does anyone have an idea of what a revenue multiple for a tech startup with a transactional business model would be? I know it would be highly variable, but any resources, thoughts or known...

asked Aug 18 '10 at 04:31
Blank
Jim Shook
417 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
What's the process around transferring the cash upon a VC funding round?

Let's assume a startup and a VC agree to $X of funding in a Series A. What typically is the process (the mechanics) around transfer of funds from the VC to the startup? (A) Do the funds typically...

asked May 5 '10 at 09:26
Blank
Howie
148 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.81K Views
VC funding and determination of a revenue model

In a recent group chat hosted by Joel Spolsky regarding the Stackoverflow Series A funding round, Spolsky was asked: "How do you envision making a profit?" to which Spolsky replied: "...the...

asked May 8 '10 at 11:06
Blank
Howie
148 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
Startup Visa: How can we secure funding from abroad? Is it flawed?

There is a proposal lately to push the US government to create a startup visa for brilliant innovators/entrepreneus from outside USA. With this visa, it is said that these innovators will be...

asked Feb 25 '10 at 13:05
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.58K Views
Finding the right VC

I am looking for a VC that invests in the homeland security or access control industries... Is there a website where I can search for VC's according to the field in which they invest? I found...

asked Feb 26 '10 at 01:11
Blank
Ron Ga
2,181 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
4.7K Views
What are some resources to watch example pitches?

I like to learn by example so I am trying to find sites that are putting recorded pitches up online. Examples would be: Shark Tank on Jason Calacanis's This Week in Startups -...

asked Feb 28 '10 at 02:23
Blank
Nicky Hajal
123 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.5K Views
Investor documents during fund raising

I have few question related to fund raising When you are raising money from VCs, what type of documents are expected from you? How much of your internal and confidential data/stats do you reveal...

asked Feb 6 '10 at 12:00
Blank
User2202
164 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.86K Views
Marketing section for a VC-targeted Businessplan

By VC-targeted, I mean a businessplan that I send to VCs as part of the first contact package.. It concerns a saas/paas startup with a very clearly defined target group. We have preliminary market...

asked Jan 28 '10 at 22:55
Blank
Max
16 points

11 Votes
5 Answers
2.82K Views
Old and wise developer - Startup founder newbie

I'm a software developer/development manager with more than 18 years of hands on experience. For a year now a wonderful idea has fermented in my head. All the research I've indicates there is no...

asked Jan 4 '10 at 01:56
Blank
Ron M.
4,224 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.7K Views
How does going IPO changes a company's structure?

Do venture capitalists leave the company and board of directors after getting their 10x returns. how much ownership does company give to the stock holders and what kind of board of directors do...

asked Dec 10 '09 at 07:59
Blank
Syed
445 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.86K Views
Found an idea whats the first thing to do? SEO, Finance... confused first business

Currently, I am listening to Dharmesh's interview on Mixergy.com. I really like making websites, made tones of them, but to get them off the ground, is what kills me. Right now, I have a small...

asked Dec 11 '09 at 13:08
Blank
Bhargav Patel
16 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
5.47K Views
What happens if the startup that funded by VC failed a couple of years later?

We've heard the good stories of startup that succeed after receiving funds but what happens if a startup that got funded by a VC but turns out being failure a couple of years later? Do they get...

asked Nov 27 '09 at 17:37
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.91K Views
Challenging the traditional business rules, is it bad if planning on trying for VC funding

I was thinking about this question recently: http://www.brightjourney.com/q/advice-resources-performance-reviews-employees I also enjoy this...

asked Nov 28 '09 at 11:49
Blank
James Black
2,642 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.25K Views
Two questions re: taking seed funding from a large VC

We're looking at a possible seed deal right now. It's $750K from a firm who has a current fund size around half a billion. I have two questions. Has anyone ever seen a seed deal where the firm...

asked Nov 12 '09 at 08:29
Blank
Tommy Maddox
156 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.22K Views
Should prospective investors sign non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) to keep your ideas safe?

Do you think it is important to ask Angel investors or VCs to sign a NDA before disclosing the details of your product ?

asked Oct 15 '09 at 20:35
Blank
Anup
547 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.42K Views
Would there be any VC invest someone from abroad

I'm interested to build a startup company and I am interested that there are many VCs located in USA. Would it be possible to get funding from American VCs if you are from another country? I don't...

asked Oct 17 '09 at 00:05
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points