Vesting Questions

8 Votes
5 Answers
3.29K Views
Should I quit the company I founded?

I will try to make this short. About nine months ago my ex boss offered to invest in a company for me. Our relationship even when it was not romantic was deeply emotional. I care a lot about him as...

asked Feb 12 '12 at 08:40
Blank
Jessica
41 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.54K Views
Vested stock options on acquisition

I was employed with a startup in Singapore for 15 months and vested 15K options over these months. Now the company is being acquired by a US company though the Singapore company will stay a...

asked Feb 3 '12 at 14:01
Blank
Vikram Bodicherla
111 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.17K Views
How to handle a leaving employee's shares

I have a question about what are the best exit options for employees that own shares in a company and want to leave after some time. For example, let's say at the start of a company the first...

asked Jan 24 '12 at 09:38
Blank
Jfaulkins
111 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
Vesting Schedule for an initial "100% CTO"

Classic case startup, 1 biz-dev + 1 techie. The 1 techie gets to be the lone warrior to build the entire contraption. The gut rule seems 50-50, but there are complications with that. What's a...

asked Dec 15 '11 at 12:57
Blank
Ina
121 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.26K Views
Questions around vesting vis-a-vis dilution, leaving a company and being fired from a company

I am just curious about vesting as against 3 things - Dilution, a Co-founder leaving, a co-founder getting fired Please assume a 2-man team with the equity split among the founder & CEO (A)...

asked Nov 15 '11 at 00:23
Blank
Rokstr Dli
36 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.12K Views
How should we allocate shares given staggered involvement?

I have an idea I'd like to implement. I've done a bit of work to get together a proof of concept and it works pretty well. I think the potential is great, so much so that I've become a bit obsessed...

asked Oct 18 '11 at 20:27
Blank
Mark Silberbauer
8 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
Event of a sale prior to vesting schedule completion

Starting to work with our legal team and its time to expand the team. A few questions on the vesting schedule. Employee 1: CFO position I am bringing in a CFO from a financial background with...

asked Oct 21 '11 at 12:11
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.06K Views
Considerations such as vesting for Founder Agreement

I'm planning to file a Delaware LLC for a partnership where I'm the majority owner of our self-funded startup. One key goal for me is to incorporate a vesting option among owners where equity is...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 05:35
Blank
Sheepish
6 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
4.12K Views
Looking to hire good freelancers - looking for original ways for paying them?

I am building a small startup. We haven't raised any money yet, and we're in the stage where we need the help of some very talented free lancers (mostly graphic designers). The prices they are...

asked Aug 23 '11 at 14:46
Blank
Vondip
584 points

9 Votes
4 Answers
2.93K Views
What exactly is "vesting"?

Can someone explain in simple terms based on a simple example what exactly is "vesting"? I've read the Wikipedia, Investopedia, and etc. descriptions but I'm not really sure I get it.

asked Aug 2 '11 at 19:13
Blank
Miyo
46 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
Would Skype's stock buyback plan be as evil if they paid fair market value?

Skype's buying back of stock options at the exercise price is pretty evil, no doubt. But is it equally uncommon for a company to put in conditions allowing them to buy back vested stock at fair...

asked Jun 27 '11 at 06:42
Blank
Sean
134 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3K Views
Is there a tax liability for reverse vesting founder stock/units?

A friend and I formed an Oregon LLC in 2008 for an online business. Now we're up and running and both working on it full-time. Now we've both moved to Texas and want to re-form as a Texas company...

asked Jun 21 '11 at 03:39
Blank
Sean
134 points

9 Votes
1 Answers
3.37K Views
Prenuptial separation agreement for cofounders

My apologies if this question has been asked before. I tried to find the answer reviewing other questions and still don't have the answer so here is the question(s): We are now setting up the...

asked Apr 28 '11 at 16:49
Blank
Miguel Buckenmeyer
482 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
16.2K Views
How do you actually setup a vesting agreement for co-founders w/out breaking the budget?

I'm based in Hong Kong. I've read through a lot of information about share vesting for co-founders and realized that is definitely the solution I want. I'm now trying to figure out how to actually...

asked Apr 29 '11 at 11:04
Blank
Asim Hussain
41 points