Web Dev Questions

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Creating a one-page online review intake form

Is this something we could do ourselves quickly, perhaps with an off the shelf solution? We have no programming experience. Otherwise what language would we need to learn to do it? This does not...

asked Nov 15 '11 at 00:03
Blank
D Moore
174 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.67K Views
Changing Licensing model for a Software Framework to more permissive

I'm author of the "Agile Toolkit " Framework. Currently it's available under dual license Affero GPL - any use, personal or commercial Permissive license for $130/domain Permissive license for...

asked Oct 24 '11 at 06:15
Blank
Romaninsh
253 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.71K Views
How to split up backend development?

My design & front end development is finished, and it is time to do things like add shopping cart, registration, and connect to database. I have read that it is safest to give the programmer...

asked Oct 8 '11 at 09:59
Blank
Jdh
182 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
Where and how to find customers for a starting business?

I have recently (two months ago) started up a new business in the webdesign industry/Freelance industry. Everything is going well, I am creating a lot of modules which I can re-use for every client...

asked Sep 20 '11 at 17:15
Blank
Michiel Standaert
108 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.77K Views
How to communicate with front end developer?

My entire design is done, and now it's time to get it marked up. What is the best way to communicate with the developer which links lead to where, and certain processes etc. Should I just give them...

asked Sep 5 '11 at 14:16
Blank
Jdh
182 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
How do I know if I need a back-end developer?

I know the line is blurred between front end and back end developers, but at what point (most of the time) does my project go from MAYBE requiring a back end developer, to definitely needing one....

asked Sep 5 '11 at 14:25
Blank
Jdh
182 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
2.76K Views
Where do coupon websites find their coupons?

Is there some service that aggregate coupon promo code ? There is a lot of coupon websites out there, I would be surprise that all of them fill in information by hand. I didn't find any freelancer...

asked Mar 23 '11 at 02:13
Blank
Emmanuel Caradec
99 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.4K Views
How can I learn to manage programmers if I'm not a developer?

I'm not a developer but I'm getting involved in a startup focused on web apps. I don't think I can be a hardcore programmer but do want to understand how things work on the technical side so I can...

asked Mar 7 '11 at 08:34
Blank
Matt
141 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
4.29K Views
Do I need a web designer or developer/programmer?

I have an idea for a web startup. I really feel that it doesn't need any complicated technology, can I just use a designer instead of developer? And if I do, and my website proves popular and I...

asked Mar 12 '11 at 12:04
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
Where did your star developer come from?

If your startup has a star developer : what was he/she doing before joining your company? How did you find and get into contact with him/her?

asked Feb 28 '11 at 09:07
Blank
Zippy
871 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
2.62K Views
I'm a techie, not a marketing guy. How can I market my business?

My partner and I started a website development company a few years ago which specializes in making high quality (great graphics, functionality, and SEO) websites/applications for small-medium...

asked Feb 9 '11 at 08:56
Blank
Metropolis
118 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
2.75K Views
Good questions to ask when approached for a freelance web-development gig?

If someone approaches you expressing interest in having you perform web-development work, what questions should be asked? Assume you know only the bare-minimum : he/she wants you to develop a...

asked Jan 7 '11 at 14:16
Blank
Closure Cowboy
128 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.9K Views
If you can't come up with a business model for your idea for a website, can you just slap ads on it and call it a day?

I apologize in advance to smart, experienced tech entrepreneurs if the question is absurd, I'm just trying to get where you are and you have to start somewhere. I have an idea for a website that...

asked Dec 20 '10 at 17:15
Blank
Beachrunnerjoe
319 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.56K Views
Freelance Web Designer - Should I do LLC or just file SE 1040

Just keeping it simple. I am a freelance web designer, I have an accountant, and I take payments payable to my name. Is there any reason I should form an LLC? Am I safe to continue doing what I'm...

asked Oct 27 '10 at 11:30
Blank
Justin
76 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.04K Views
Web Application Technology

My startup idea involves a web application that has the following requirements: will need to charge my customers securely using someone else's service must scale easily must be cheap to...

asked Sep 27 '10 at 05:43
Blank
Jeff
103 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Monthly billing between PayPal and a spreedly, recurly

Paypal's simplest integration is an IPN and is super simple, but we all know the risks, and how badly they handle monthly billing. But it takes an hour to set up and is $.30 + 3% or something. It...

asked Jun 12 '10 at 03:09
Blank
User3635
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Webdesign business, show price or not?

We are webdesigners, and we sell websites, we are about to renew are website. Would you suggest to show some prices on our website or not? I mean stuff like like: "we sell 2/3 pages static website...

asked Apr 26 '10 at 02:21
Blank
Marco Demaio
175 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
1.9K Views
What would a new web development tool need to succeed?

If one wanted to create a new web development tool (free or otherwise), what would it have to be able to do that would differentiate it enough from all the others to attract people's attention? In...

asked May 14 '10 at 17:36
Blank
Boost
106 points

5 Votes
9 Answers
4.72K Views
Hire or outsource web design?

When building a website in a bootstrapped startup, is it better to hire a web designer or outsource the work? All of the founders are coders and don't excel in web design. Apart from that, if the...

asked Mar 9 '10 at 23:53
Blank
Slavo
316 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.97K Views
How much is my website worth?

I want to know, from a purely programmers/developers point of view, if you had to pay build this website, how much would you ask to do it? The site is http://www.marketdock.com Some features: *...

asked Mar 27 '10 at 01:23
Blank
User2940
121 points