Web Questions

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.87K Views
What kind of equity should I be looking for? - Tech Startup

I am currently the Director of Engineering for a tech/website startup in NYC. I was hired in Nov 2010 after they obtained an angel investment of around 1 million dollars. I am the second tech...

asked Aug 5 '11 at 07:50
Blank
Commander
111 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
recommendations for PHP/HTML CMS for a Cloud database

I am working with a web development and design company that has posed a custom CMS for my business. Since this will eat up 60% of the budget for the site, and also I fear tie me to the company, I...

asked Jul 21 '11 at 08:13
Blank
Jdarl1
6 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.56K Views
Web 2.0 marketing strategy tips that is not about SEO

Every single website marketing strategy tips that I find on the Internet virtually all talk about some sort of SEO technique. Yes, SEO is important, we know this already. Now, has anyone actually...

asked May 13 '11 at 06:51
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
Is it possible to startup a web hosting / development company that only communicates via email

Is it possible to start up a web hosting / development company that only communicates via email?

asked May 16 '11 at 02:36
Blank
Cssss
6 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.44K Views
Which business model is better for the new web startup?

I would like to ask you for your opinion on pros and cons of 2 different business models for a social networking+user advertising start up. For a very vague description and comparison, imagine...

Web
asked May 18 '11 at 02:23
Blank
New Web Start Up
21 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.04K Views
Should I search for a web developer/code business partner?

I am in the process of building a B2C online to offline based web service. The service itself is built through contracts that are established offline which are sold to consumers online. I have the...

asked May 8 '11 at 19:33
Blank
Jack
16 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.29K Views
How do I fire a technical co-founder?

I came up with an idea for a business web application and teamed up with a coder to build it. He has a lot of strong points and built a good product (it's 90% done) but to cut a long story short,...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 14:24
Blank
Highlander
26 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
promoting web 2.0 sites

suppose a web 2.0 startup has completed its product and is trying to launch it...what are some of the most effective ways to promote the product that is specific to a web 2.0 model (ie. users come...

asked Mar 31 '11 at 05:45
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.75K Views
User confirmation of terms

This is more of a legal question but I couldn't find the "Legal" Q&A on StackExchange yet...maybe next week :) I have a web app and mobile app where users sign up and create an account. I also...

asked Apr 7 '11 at 13:39
Blank
B Mon
108 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
20.2K Views
What's the difference between customer, client, user and consumer?

My company sells fee-based online services in addition to a free basic online service and product. How would one call an entity subscribed for a free service and distinguishably name another that...

asked Mar 5 '11 at 15:20
Blank
Gennady Vanin Novosibirsk
133 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.62K Views
How do you organize your ideas and actions when starting something up?

I'm curious about how you guys organize your ideas for starting up a new business. I have a bunch of ideas that I never tried to implement, basically because I just don't know from where I could...

asked Feb 24 '11 at 14:07
Blank
Tiago Cardoso
202 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
5.28K Views
How to charge taxes for online services?

We are a Canadian-based incorporated business that is about to sell subscriptions to a SaaS, both yearly and monthly. How do we handle adding taxes to the service? Since we are a Quebec-based...

asked Feb 12 '11 at 02:34
Blank
Jb Lesage
70 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
Are there any sites that measure the page response speed of various hosting companies?

I'm looking for the equivalent of consumer reports for hosting companies. But I would be happy with any neutral data comparing one site to another. Does anyone have any links to data the speed of...

asked Jan 16 '11 at 03:24
Blank
Mark Rogers
149 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
32.7K Views
How many visitors per day does a site need to draw any significant ad revenue?

Lately, I've been considering different ideas for new sites, but the first and biggest question is how to make money with a site. When I can't think of an obvious way to make money with a site, I...

asked Jan 13 '11 at 01:52
Blank
Mark Rogers
149 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.42K Views
Building New Product: ASP.NET/MVC vs SharePoint 2010

Hi I met an investor who wants a new product to sells to other companies. We agreed to make it SaaS, but we're arguing over three options: SaaS product made by ASP.NET Saas product Made up of huge...

Web
asked Nov 27 '10 at 23:07
Blank
Shankarooni
8 points

7 Votes
11 Answers
3.92K Views
One man startup looking for motivation

I've been working on a web application as a hobby for the past couple of years. It's been challenging and I've learned a lot. Now that I am done and actually have something up and running...

asked Nov 17 '10 at 05:54
Blank
Txoov
38 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.84K Views
"Like" clone idea

I am adding new section to my site where students or alumni of a particular film schools can be associated with their schools. Facebook did something similar in the early days and later they went...

asked Sep 28 '10 at 01:19
Blank
Usabilitest
1,698 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3K Views
Marketing budget for web startups

Any good read or advice on budgeting marketing for web startups.

asked Sep 30 '10 at 08:15
Blank
Jewelthief
151 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.72K Views
What are some common mistakes made when trying to implement SEO?

I'm no expert in this area, and I've heard that search engines can be very unforgiving when you try to change or restructure things in certain ways. What should I definitely NOT do? Are there...

asked Sep 12 '10 at 03:27
Blank
Javid Jamae
347 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
Web App: Subscriber Growth Modeling Help

I am looking for guidance on building models for subscriber growth to a B2C software app. We have existing channels of distribution (partners) that refer business to us and we provide an offline...

asked Jun 30 '10 at 21:35
Blank
Gesco
71 points