Anyone has an experience with E2 Visa?


I'm a foreign web entrepreneur, I can get an investor to invest +$100k into my US targetted startup.

Will i be eligible to apply for an E2 US visa? Because i'm not sure if it's necessary that the applicant is the one who needs to invest or he can just hold shares of a company with proven funds.

I'd appreciate it if you can share your experience.


asked Jan 8 '12 at 09:35
139 points

2 Answers


I worked under an E2 visa for a number of years for a relatively small (<150 person) company.

Eligiblity is more difficult than with other visas. Attaining a H visa is more about skills qualification, whereas attaining an E visa is more about growing a business qualification. You need to be able to demonstrate a significant investment over multiple years and business acumen for building a company, moreso than technical skills. The point of the visa is to create a business that will generate sigificant employment, revenue, etc. in America.

In my case, the petition was endorsed by a private investor who was many levels removed from the day to day operations of the business; you (the applicant) would not need to invest. The total investment at the time was several million dollars establishing a strong US presence for an overseas company, and I was one of several who were on an E visa. Many were "C" level positions, all were management/leadership roles with >10 years work experience.

If you want to work for yourself or have a small web development house with friends then an E visa is not the way to go. If you can demonstrate a strong financial commitment over multiple years then it may be an option. I would strongly recommend talking to an immigration lawyer if you decide to persue.

Good luck.

answered Jan 9 '12 at 10:13
Cloud Ringer
21 points
  • Thanks for the informations! – Ryan 10 years ago


From what I know (and I can be mistaken) the money you're investing in a start up should come from your own pocket (not investor's) in order for you to qualify for E-2 visa.

answered Jan 24 '12 at 08:36
970 points
  • So I can raise money from some European VC and come to the US on E-2 visa? – Salmon 10 years ago

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics: