Consumer Electronic Certification in United States and Canada


I'm in the process of importing some oem-designed electronic for my brand. Where should I look for certification rules in United States and Canada?

Does my product need to be certified to be sold in USA if I don't have a U.S. presence?


asked Jan 9 '12 at 20:28
1 point
Get up to $750K in working capital to finance your business: Clarify Capital Business Loans

2 Answers


Does my product need to be certified to be sold in USA

Many, but not all, products do. Examples of products that require certification include such things as drugs, some foods, medical devices and radio transmitters. Many electronic devices that emit incidental radiation need to be certified under Part 15 of the FCC rules. Take a look at your computer, monitor or laptop and you may very well find a statement to that effect.

Other simple products like a hammer or a screwdriver probably do not need any sort of certification.

Since you state your product is electronic, the question is does it radiate any RF energy? If so, then you should carefully comply with the rules of the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Examples of such products include radios, TVs, cordless mice, wireless routers, microwave ovens etc. The list is long and if in doubt you should check to see if devices similar to yours being sold in the USA have a statement of compliance with FCC rules on them. If so, that is a good indication that your device would be covered by the same rules as well.

answered Jan 10 '12 at 04:44
Jonny Boats
4,848 points


Underwriters Labs would be the people you need to contact.

answered Jan 10 '12 at 02:22
376 points

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics: