Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

8 Votes
2 Answers
2.89K Views
I got a lawyer email... should I even reply to this?

I got the followig message enclosed in an attached pdf file. I did some background research and the firm seems legit. Dear Mr. Vadoff Our law firm represents a client who prefers to remain...

asked Aug 17 '11 at 07:58
Blank
Vadoff
143 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
5.94K Views
Do I really need a NDA when talking to potential lawyers?

I've seen quite a few discussions on non-disclosure agreements, but not really for when you are approaching a potential lawyer to work with. Yet, I was advised by a friend to bring a NDA, the first...

asked Dec 3 '11 at 01:52
Blank
Claudia
52 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
7.02K Views
Is a lawyer needed to draft an NDA?

Do I need a lawyer to write up a non-disclosure agreement? If so how much should this cost on average? It is a small company and it would be beneficial for them if I did not bring this to other...

asked May 2 '12 at 04:45
Blank
Peter Chapman
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.51K Views
Where can I find a lawyer that specializes in Internet startups?

I've been searching and kind find anything. I have a social networking site with a commerce component to it. I need a lawyer to help draft a terms of services agreement and to ensure that I am...

asked Apr 29 '11 at 05:02
Blank
Mo Green
11 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
4.28K Views
How do you find good professional help? (Lawyers, Accountants, Graphic Designers, etc)

Business accounting and legal work are mundane-but-required tasks for any startup. However, until the company is large enough to hire on dedicated staff for that work, how do you find qualified...

asked Oct 16 '09 at 05:02
Blank
Marcus L
21 points

9 Votes
4 Answers
4.15K Views
Finding a good lawyer / accountant for my startup

I have been told that deciding how and when to incorporate my startup is best answered by speaking to an accountant or lawyer about my individual needs. Besides relying on referrals, how can I...

asked Dec 9 '10 at 00:29
Blank
B. Kennedy
66 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.86K Views
A lawyer offered service for equity and potentially joining the company

A lawyer offered service for equity and potentially joining the company full time as legal counsel/business dev guy. Is this reasonable? What percentage of the company should I offer him? It's a...

asked Jul 1 '11 at 09:50
Blank
Jirad
105 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.14K Views
How to do without a lawyer when launching your SaaS startup?

There are several things that are needed for a SaaS startup from a legal standpoint: Privacy policy Terms of service Contracts How can a bootstrap startup do these without spending money on a...

asked Aug 29 '14 at 15:55
Blank
John Jackson
7 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.98K Views
Storing health data

I am working on a bootstrapped side project aimed at digital nomads that lets you input your personal blood test data and track results over time, across countries.My business entity is based in...

asked Mar 28 '19 at 18:37
Blank
Philip Seifi
132 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.4K Views
What is it considered when I transfer money from my business account to my personal account?

My recent start up business has been very profitable right away and also full of drama. Long story short, I run a S Corp LLC and have transferred over 15k into my personal account over the last...

asked Dec 28 '18 at 00:33
Blank
Anthony Bauwens
1 point

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.29K Views
Being scammed by someone who has been doing this for 10+ years.

After problems began I did some research about the company's owner and have discovered multiple bankruptcies beginning 10+ years ago after scamming others doing the same thing (taking money and not...

asked May 23 '18 at 15:32
Blank
Philip Gales
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.47K Views
Are vested shares the best way to go for a startup company to bring on new people?

We have a Hong Kong company and are trying to launch. We have limited funds but are thinking of hiring someone and paying in shares. However, we don't want to just sell shares and watch our new...

asked Jun 17 '14 at 09:16
Blank
User33966
11 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.96K Views
What's the legal framework for a US company (Delaware LLC) to hire a full-time remote developer (e.g. India, Sri Lanka)?

We don't need a one-shot collaboration (see elance.com, odesk.com) but a long-term remote developer. We don't know, legally speaking, how to proceed and which are the needed steps. Thank you

asked Oct 12 '10 at 23:45
Blank
Leonardo Dario Perna
106 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
4.47K Views
NDA questions - business or individual?

So, I am an individual currently making a game. I am asking for volunteers to help with the project, but I would prefer if an NDA was signed before they join. Issue is, I am not a legally...

asked May 1 '17 at 23:04
Blank
Shikarra Wo W
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
8.14K Views
How do I get rid of my business partner?

Recently it came to my attention that my business partner (50/50 LLC in CA, no partnership agreement) has been using the company account as a line of credit for himself. In the past 13 months he...

asked Jan 18 '17 at 21:01
Blank
sbg
11 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
5.25K Views
Is it legal to pay employees or contractors in bitcoin (artificial e-currency)?

I am from central Europe, and there is really HUGE taxation (about 0,44 on wages, 0,2 on goods, so about 55pct goes to taxation black hole). I got idea - is it useful scenario to pay my employees...

asked Mar 26 '12 at 00:14
Blank
Joseph
21 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
4.92K Views
If your co-founder suddenly leaves before the MVP is complete, could he have a legal claim down the line?

If there was no paperwork done between the co-founders and one of them decides to leave all of a sudden, can the remaining co-founder still continue building that business?Could the founder who...

asked Jun 13 '14 at 16:56
Blank
Omar Gonzalez
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.08K Views
Starting a business with a co-founder without a corporation?

Could you start a company with a co-founder, and have generic agreements in place, all without registering a corporation?We're bootstrapping our first startup and don't want to spend both money and...

asked Jun 18 '14 at 20:12
Blank
Marion Woodward
9 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.02K Views
Low cost way of filing a patent?

Is there an inexpensive way of filing a patent? We talked to a couple of lawyers and the cost to file a patent is hovering around the $20K range. Is that normal? It seemed absurd at first, until...

asked Jun 20 '14 at 14:42
Blank
Gary Russell
12 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.06K Views
Can you avoid paying taxes by not living in any one country for more than 2 months?

This question might seem more negative than it is...I'm looking to travel the world and build my startup on-the-go. Would I need to pay income tax in any country if I don't stay in a country for...

asked Jul 1 '14 at 14:28
Blank
Willie Hudson
6 points