Tax Questions

Entrepreneurs can set up their business as a Sole Proprietorship, C-corporation, S-corporation, partnership, non-profit, Limited Liability Company, or Limited Liability Partnership.

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.81K Views
Alternative to QuickBooks for a small (1 man) S-Corp?

I'm currently using a 2009 version of QuickBooks Pro for my S-Corp accounting needs. They recently sent me a letter "suggesting" I upgrade to the 2012 version ($200+) as many of the features of the...

asked Mar 10 '12 at 03:23
Blank
Dave
160 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2K Views
Is it legal to pay employees or contractors in bitcoin (artificial e-currency)?

I am from central Europe, and there is really HUGE taxation (about 0,44 on wages, 0,2 on goods, so about 55pct goes to taxation black hole). I got idea - is it useful scenario to pay my employees...

asked Mar 26 '12 at 00:14
Blank
Joseph
21 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
Can I start a company in India while working in the USA on an H1B?

Can I start an internet-based company in India, while working in the USA on an H1B visa? Will I be able to incorporate in India and pay taxes? Is it allowed? What are my options?

asked Jul 20 '11 at 23:14
Blank
Ravi
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Can you avoid paying taxes by not living in any one country for more than 2 months?

This question might seem more negative than it is...I'm looking to travel the world and build my startup on-the-go. Would I need to pay income tax in any country if I don't stay in a country for...

asked Jul 1 '14 at 14:28
Blank
Willie Hudson
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
How should I register my new business, if staying in full time employment?

If I'm staying in full time employment while starting up and running a business in the uk, which type of company should my start up be? I.e. sole trader, limited, under an umbrella company etc to...

asked Jul 4 '14 at 09:59
Blank
Georgia Kirke
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Does incorporating your startup in another country for tax benefits negatively affect being able to raise money from VCs?

If we were to incorporate our company in another company (where one of our co-founder lives), would that seriously limit our ability to raise money from venture capital firms?The primary benefit to...

asked Jul 10 '14 at 20:14
Blank
Ronald Whittaker
7 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
As a startup entrepreneur, what tax benefits / loop holes can you use to your advantage?

I recently read in the news that Canada has a law that give grants to startups which cover for 80% of the employees' salaries!What similar federal benefits are available to startups here in the...

asked Jul 22 '14 at 02:28
Blank
Juan Wilson
24 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.68K Views
Can I abandon my corporation and keep my website?

1.5 years ago, I incorporated a C-Corporation in Delaware for my website. I didn't raise any money for it and it didn't become the next Instagram, but it's earning a small amount of money each...

asked Feb 20 '15 at 02:58
Blank
User34279
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Completely online business: would I need to pay international taxes if I work on it in another country?

I'm a US citizen who has a completely online business. I pay federal and state taxes on all income.If I were to travel the world (since I can work on my business from anywhere as it's all online),...

asked May 30 '15 at 12:56
Blank
Bruce Blanks
2 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Working for US based company from Singapore, payment to India account. Which country would I pay taxes in?

I live in Singapore and work for a US based company as contractor getting paid to my Indian account. Which country should I file my tax returns in? Should the Indian account be NRI/NRE to get the...

asked Jun 29 '15 at 04:24
Blank
Sowmya
1 point

5 Votes
6 Answers
4.03K Views
Options for hiring Indian workers directly

My core aim is to hire people directly in India (Delhi) and spend a lot of time there myself (I am a British person with a British passport). I am interested in knowing what are the best options...

asked Dec 10 '10 at 22:47
Blank
Dav
26 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
8.13K Views
Filling out a W9 as a Single Member LLC

I previously operated my consulting business as a sole proprietor operating under my own name, using my SSN on W9 forms, etc. I have since registered an LLC and am starting to bring in clients. I...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 10:39
Blank
Eddy Luten
166 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Tax liabilities for stocking products in Amazon USA for the US market?

I have a small online retail company in Europe. I sell a lot of products in the US and considering stocking products in Amazon USA for the US market. I am having trouble finding out what tax...

asked May 22 '14 at 19:39
Blank
Charlie
1 point

6 Votes
7 Answers
1.32K Views
DIY Payroll Processing?

I have tried (and been rejected by) a few online payroll solutions. As I am about to start (very soon) working with real employees, I need to find a way to do payroll more or less manually (though...

asked Mar 30 '12 at 01:53
Blank
Michael Trausch
135 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Way around Amazon and other merchant's policy to not work with NY based affiliate marketers due to sales tax law?

Until NY state came up with the internet sales tax law, affiliate marketing was the primary way I generated revenue from my site. Since Amazon and other companies started to stop working with NY...

asked Mar 11 '14 at 23:58
Blank
Joseph Hager
10 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
I'm based in the US. Could I create a corporation in Australia?

I am building a daily deals service that targets the Australian market. The competition is too saturated in the US with Groupon, Living Social, etc.Could someone point me in the right direction on...

asked Feb 27 '14 at 18:06
Blank
Mildred Cruz
35 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Can a non-US trustee/trust form an LLC in say WY and would it be considered as a MM LLC

A real-world trust that's not in a tax haven wishes to from a MM LLC in the US without any additional members and elect to be regarded by the IRS as a partnership. Can that work?

asked Dec 9 '13 at 05:44
Blank
Clint
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
Self-employed, no completed projects yet: can I write my laptop off my taxes?

I've recently started working on a couple of software projects that I hope will generate income in 2014. I eventually want to form an LLC, but I'll probably end up doing that closer to completion...

asked Dec 10 '13 at 19:30
Blank
Archagon
111 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Tax Deduction On Advertising

As a sole-proprietorship living in the US. If I make $50000 income and I spent $10000 in advertising. My taxable income is $40000, correct? Now, if I re-invest the entire $40000 back into...

asked Nov 29 '13 at 09:52
Blank
User29838
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
Owning 50% of a Controlled Foreign Corporation (CFC)

I am resident in the USA. If I hold 50% shares on a foreign corporation in a beneficial tax regime, according to the US CFC rules I will own a controlled foreign corporation (CFC). Would I be...

asked Nov 29 '13 at 09:58
Blank
User29838
1 point