Employers Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Showing code samples when interviewing for technical jobs?

What type of code samples should you show to a prospective employer when all your work has been for other companies? I don't currently have any open source contributions that employers can look...

asked May 9 '14 at 14:16
Blank
Kevin Sloane
7 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
4.49K Views
DIY Payroll Processing?

I have tried (and been rejected by) a few online payroll solutions. As I am about to start (very soon) working with real employees, I need to find a way to do payroll more or less manually (though...

asked Mar 30 '12 at 01:53
Blank
Michael Trausch
135 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
6.79K Views
How long after employment termination is it OK to file the patent for an idea being developed after leaving employer?

An idea came to me while I was employed. The idea is within my broader field of expertise, but completely unrelated to the projects I was doing for my employer. I started working on the idea after...

asked Sep 13 '13 at 08:20
Blank
D. Terry
16 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
6.91K Views
Is internship considered as "work-for-hire" in the US? Who owns the software intellectual property rights created by an intern with no contract?

I was an intern in a small furniture company for over year where I had an idea to develop an integrated software solution that would help any company of the same type get organized. A verbal...

asked Oct 22 '12 at 03:45
Blank
P T
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.01K Views
Starting a company while keeping the current job

I have been working on a product for a while keeping my day job. With the help of a partner we are now ready to form a company and to launch the product. The issue is how to do it so that I won't...

asked Sep 29 '12 at 12:19
Blank
David Lema
11 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.74K Views
Example of Agreement (template) with Company for doing stuff in spare time

According to related topic: If I'm working at a company, do they have intellectual property rights to the stuff I do in my spare time? (and related : Intellectual Property and Side-Projects in...

asked Aug 12 '12 at 19:24
Blank
Grzegorz Wierzowiecki
126 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
How to incentivise current employer in future startup?

I am currently employed by a company whose core business is not IT-related but I have developed a few applications that are central to some crucial business processes and I want to create a startup...

asked Jun 1 '12 at 02:02
Blank
Assylias
103 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
The startup I work for is slashing my last pay periods paycheck without notice

This question is not directly related to a creating or running a startup, but I guess this is one of the things that can happen at a startup and I'd love to hear responses from both sides of the...

asked May 8 '12 at 08:32
Blank
Peter
111 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.06K Views
implications of a pre-contractual agreement with potential future employer?

I have only seen this being done for football players that have running contracts that will expire in a year's or two year's time and want to make it easy for the next football club to sign them...

asked Apr 10 '12 at 18:23
Blank
68 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
Should I apply for a job with a future competitor to get some inside knowledge?

I’m a web developer/designer and had a business idea for a website about 10 years ago which, for various personal reasons have only started to take the time to start building over the last few...

asked Mar 5 '12 at 15:10
Blank
Lloyd
360 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
How does start-up experience hurt your chances of being hired in a non-startup?

There have been a few OnStartups threads about how an employer could look at your start-up experience. Since this board favors people who are either currently involved in a start-up or are...

asked Nov 19 '11 at 06:19
Blank
Nicko
840 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.86K Views
Hiring a subcontractor

I'm currently a one man band in the UK with a few clients. I have a friend who is looking into working in an area which would be beneficial to my business, and which I would potentially have to set...

asked Nov 23 '11 at 01:23
Blank
Neil
125 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
Strategies for a Startup within a Big Company

I have an idea for a product that is close enough in concept to my employer's business that they might have a claim on the IP (not a valid claim, IMO, but they have all the lawyers). It's unlikely...

asked Sep 8 '11 at 03:07
Blank
Kevin Lawrence
277 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.09K Views
Finding jobs as startup company?

So, what is the best way to find jobs as startup company? Do you find customers via web, newspaper adds or by your friends help? Any other way?

asked Oct 14 '09 at 11:06
Blank
Ranisavljevic
18 points