Jobs Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.47K Views
My employee agreement doesn't allow me to work on side projects, how can I start a company?

Under my agreement with my current employer, they retain ownership of everything that I create, both at work and side projects (the legal wording is very lose on this, and I guess it's like that...

asked Jul 17 '14 at 18:29
Blank
Cristina Rath
12 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.1K Views
How much money to save before quitting job to work full time on startup?

I am currently working as a software engineer and have a pretty good salary (above $125K). How much savings should I ideally have before quitting my job and working full time on a startup idea solo...

asked Aug 4 '14 at 20:14
Blank
Philip Ochoa
14 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Is it possible to get a job at Google if you haven't graduated from a top-tier school like Stanford?

I'm an entrepreneur who is calling quits with a startup I had been working on for the last 2 years. It just didn't work -- I spent too much time and money into it and have almost gone broke trying...

asked Jun 12 '15 at 09:58
Blank
Timothy Williams
12 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
6.16K Views
How can I monetize a job board website?

I have a job board website listing local jobs in my country. There are two kind of customers: the job seekers and the employer. I have some ideas but I want your advice about monetizing the...

asked Feb 7 '11 at 06:46
Blank
Waseem Abu Senjer
28 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Why do the major tech companies in the valley place so much emphasis on which school you went to?

You would think being in the tech industry they would understand that some of the brightest technologists in history didn't go to an ivy league school. Yet Google, Facebook, Twitter -- they all...

asked Jul 17 '14 at 10:29
Blank
James Chowdhury
9 points

15 Votes
11 Answers
1.71K Views
My startup is failing

I'm currently 25 years old. About 2 years ago (at the age of 23), I quit my job and started a company with two friends. I dedicated a lot of time and hard work to it. I used to code 12 - 15 hours...

asked Nov 18 '13 at 06:49
Blank
Sticox
79 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
How much should we pay interns for summer jobs?

We want to hire interns this summer to help with basic tasks for our startups (marketing outreach, data entry, research, etc). How much should we interns for these temporary positions?I've seen...

asked May 27 '14 at 12:28
Blank
Tanja Edwards
1 point

1 Votes
0 Answers
First time startup: how do you get over your fear of leaving a cushy job?

I currently have a very cushy job in my industry and have been creating projects part time on the side for several months. The idea was to throw as many things against the wall as possible and see...

asked May 5 '14 at 15:40
Blank
Mattie Hart
7 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Is it unethical to start a site like Trulia if I work at a real estate company?

I currently work at a real estate company as a broken and want to start a niche real estate site, similar to Trulia.com but with a twist for a niche market.Would it be ethical for me to do while...

asked Apr 10 '14 at 14:13
Blank
Edward Kistner
2 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Top ways a software engineer can screw up an interview?

What are the most often occurring things that developers do due to which they don't get hired?

asked Mar 29 '14 at 21:57
Blank
Kara Tyler
2 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Working for Google vs Square?

Both positions are the same.Square's salary is slightly higher (only a little).Which would you pick and why?

asked Mar 28 '14 at 01:50
Blank
Rebecca Becker
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
How to avoid recruiters when applying for startup jobs?

Many recruiters disguise themselves as the actual startups in job postings and then when you send in your resume... BAM, you're going to be contacted on a daily basis by their recruiters for every...

asked Mar 27 '14 at 13:14
Blank
Jimmy Allen
5 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
What was your FIRST job in life prior to doing startups?

Curious to see what other entrepreneurs started out with.What was your first job working for someone else?Update: It could be your first job in general (out of curiosity) or the first job where...

asked Mar 26 '14 at 15:40
Blank
Jimmie Harp
15 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
How to interview for jobs without making your current employer suspicious?

How can you take calls and go for job interviews without your current employer suspecting that you're planning to leave?

asked Mar 26 '14 at 11:14
Blank
Richard Hyslop
20 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
Getting a job after failing at entrepreneurship?

What are some hurdles you'll come across while hunting for a job after trying to build your own startups (unsuccessfully for 5+ years)?I'm a software engineer. I'm a generalist who does many other...

asked Mar 19 '14 at 19:13
Blank
Mike Steve
40 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
What scares away top applicants from job opportunities?

What are the worst things that you can do to scare away highly qualified people when they come across your job listings online?Conversely, how do you entice someone to become interested and submit...

asked Mar 17 '14 at 21:10
Blank
Glen Sepe
10 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Finding a job through LinkedIn by emailing companies you like?

What's the best way to go about finding a job through LinkedIn?Should I just start sending invites to connect to startup founders and then when they accept, make my case about wanting to work for...

asked Mar 7 '14 at 01:10
Blank
April Byrd
5 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Should I work for a startup before starting my own?

I am about to graduate and thinking about either getting a job at a startup (my first) or just finding an idea to bootstrap.Would you say that working a few years for startups is good pre-cursor or...

asked Feb 27 '14 at 11:27
Blank
Michael Stewart
95 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
How important are previous jobs when raising money from VCs?

For a first time seed stage startup, would VCs look at past jobs of the founders? What if my past job experience wasn't a happy one and ended up in burning bridges. Would that work against me while...

asked Feb 28 '14 at 19:08
Blank
Douglas Hitz
5 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
How to find executive or VP level people to hire?

Do people who are at executive levels use job sites as normal to look for a job? How could I go about finding a VP of Marketing for my company?The need is for an experienced veteran of marketing....

asked Feb 22 '14 at 04:45
Blank
Gregory Shores
50 points