Jobs Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.01K Views
My employee agreement doesn't allow me to work on side projects, how can I start a company?

Under my agreement with my current employer, they retain ownership of everything that I create, both at work and side projects (the legal wording is very lose on this, and I guess it's like that...

asked Jul 17 '14 at 18:29
Blank
Cristina Rath
12 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.01K Views
How much money to save before quitting job to work full time on startup?

I am currently working as a software engineer and have a pretty good salary (above $125K). How much savings should I ideally have before quitting my job and working full time on a startup idea solo...

asked Aug 4 '14 at 20:14
Blank
Philip Ochoa
14 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
11.1K Views
How can I monetize a job board website?

I have a job board website listing local jobs in my country. There are two kind of customers: the job seekers and the employer. I have some ideas but I want your advice about monetizing the...

asked Feb 7 '11 at 06:46
Blank
Waseem Abu Senjer
28 points

15 Votes
11 Answers
4.11K Views
My startup is failing

I'm currently 25 years old. About 2 years ago (at the age of 23), I quit my job and started a company with two friends. I dedicated a lot of time and hard work to it. I used to code 12 - 15 hours...

asked Nov 18 '13 at 06:49
Blank
Sticox
79 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Top ways a software engineer can screw up an interview?

What are the most often occurring things that developers do due to which they don't get hired?

asked Mar 29 '14 at 21:57
Blank
Kara Tyler
2 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
Working for Google vs Square?

Both positions are the same.Square's salary is slightly higher (only a little).Which would you pick and why?

asked Mar 28 '14 at 01:50
Blank
Rebecca Becker
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.07K Views
What was your FIRST job in life prior to doing startups?

Curious to see what other entrepreneurs started out with.What was your first job working for someone else?Update: It could be your first job in general (out of curiosity) or the first job where...

asked Mar 26 '14 at 15:40
Blank
Jimmie Harp
15 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
How to interview for jobs without making your current employer suspicious?

How can you take calls and go for job interviews without your current employer suspecting that you're planning to leave?

asked Mar 26 '14 at 11:14
Blank
Richard Hyslop
20 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
5.68K Views
Getting a job after failing at entrepreneurship?

What are some hurdles you'll come across while hunting for a job after trying to build your own startups (unsuccessfully for 5+ years)?I'm a software engineer. I'm a generalist who does many other...

asked Mar 19 '14 at 19:13
Blank
Mike Steve
40 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
What scares away top applicants from job opportunities?

What are the worst things that you can do to scare away highly qualified people when they come across your job listings online?Conversely, how do you entice someone to become interested and submit...

asked Mar 17 '14 at 21:10
Blank
Glen Sepe
10 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
Finding a job through LinkedIn by emailing companies you like?

What's the best way to go about finding a job through LinkedIn?Should I just start sending invites to connect to startup founders and then when they accept, make my case about wanting to work for...

asked Mar 7 '14 at 01:10
Blank
April Byrd
5 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
Should I work for a startup before starting my own?

I am about to graduate and thinking about either getting a job at a startup (my first) or just finding an idea to bootstrap.Would you say that working a few years for startups is good pre-cursor or...

asked Feb 27 '14 at 11:27
Blank
Michael Stewart
95 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.42K Views
BigCo vs Freelancing.. and then Startup

I'm in a bit of a pickle - I'm trying to build a startup, solo, to start - I'm burning the late night oil at nights and weekends. I currently have a well paying job in IT at a top 10 online...

asked Oct 9 '13 at 23:39
Blank
Code Talk
253 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.54K Views
How can my startup sponsor J1 Visa?

I have a startup, active for 2 years. I found a guy and it looks like the best way is to get him a J1 visa. how can my company sponsor a J1 visa for him ?

asked Aug 24 '13 at 18:29
Blank
User1592987
8 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
Trying to transition easily to my own company

I recently left a position at a firm where I was the only project manager,(small business) because I knew the owner was looking to retire soon, and I never felt I was recognized for all my efforts....

asked Jul 7 '13 at 06:44
Blank
User26917
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.23K Views
Issues around accepting salary plus stock options in job offer

I've been offered a job within a new SaaS startup. I'd be the first technical hire. They've offered to match my current salary and give me 2.5% stock options. Or I take a couple of £K extra with no...

asked Apr 11 '13 at 03:05
Blank
Iamjonesy
129 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.43K Views
How to negotiate for equity when joining a startup as one of the first employees?

I am looking to work at an early stage startup, and I am currently negotiating with founders of several such startups. All of these startups have just raised their first funding, and for each of...

asked Feb 26 '13 at 06:23
Blank
Joe
108 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.18K Views
Find an engineering position at a startup

What is the best way to find an engineering position at a startup? Typical job listing sites don't often have postings for these opportunities. While I realize networking is key, how does one get...

asked Oct 6 '12 at 15:16
Blank
Wwwuser
125 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
What is the JOBS Act?

The Senate passed the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act (JOBS Act) by a vote of 73-26. The Senate added new crowdfunding protections, the House will likely accept them as-is, and the President is...

asked Mar 25 '12 at 07:24
Blank
Zapoo
303 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
4.3K Views
should I quit an MNC job and work in a startup

I am working in an MNC as a software engineer. Most of my work involves supporting an old crappy vb6 application and making some changes to it whenever some change request comes in. I dont get much...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 13:11
Blank
Andy Mortin
141 points