Side Projects Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.01K Views
My employee agreement doesn't allow me to work on side projects, how can I start a company?

Under my agreement with my current employer, they retain ownership of everything that I create, both at work and side projects (the legal wording is very lose on this, and I guess it's like that...

asked Jul 17 '14 at 18:29
Blank
Cristina Rath
12 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.9K Views
Can employee's pet projects help startup business's success?

As many of you know, companies like Google and 3M give the employees 20% of their time to work on something that really excite them the most. I also been thinking maybe this can be a good strategy...

asked Nov 12 '09 at 10:07
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.64K Views
Are there consultants or companies which will help me find projects in USA?

I am from India and I am owner of a Pvt Ltd company, we deal in software, web development, hosting, server administration. We are successfully in business from last 5 years. These many years we got...

asked Oct 6 '11 at 00:50
Blank
Bandurao
11 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
2.87K Views
A Project Completed At Home - My Employer Wants Rights To The System

I currently work within a call centre as a manager and I have a lot of admin work to complete. During my own time, at home, on my own PC I started developing a system/tool via Excel that would...

asked Aug 21 '13 at 21:50
Blank
Jim Cullinane
41 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
How to make people take initiative?

We are in a bit of a rough situation here. We have a team of 8 that seems to be committed to what we are doing. Most of them have full time jobs. Our start-up is more like a part-time or side thing...

asked Aug 6 '13 at 16:47
Blank
Noah
138 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.35K Views
Will Your Employeer Find Out if You Incorporate? (United States)

If you work full-time for a large Fortune 100 company and register a Delaware corporation, will your employer find out about it? Obviously there is some public record, but is this something easy to...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 01:38
Blank
Paul
128 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
How to convert a pet project into a startup company / product?

I have been in software industry since Aug-2005. In beginning of 2009 I got a nasty memory leak related defect to solve from my employer. To help myself with such kind of errors in future, I...

asked Dec 2 '11 at 23:29
Blank
Iammilind
182 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.19K Views
Should I offer my product free until I have enough clients?

I'm working in a side-project in my spare time. When it becomes finished I was thinking to offer as a service for an ammount between 70€-90€ month / client . The only expenses are the hosting...

asked Aug 24 '11 at 20:37
Blank
User674887
128 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
What to do with side projects when joining a startup on the same field

I am thinking about joining a startup and I have a question. I have been working on a side project for a couple months and I own it completely. This side project is internet related (so is the...

asked Jul 31 '11 at 03:34
Blank
Ray Sf
126 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.64K Views
Where to draw ideas from?

There are many great products and projects going on everywhere. Even if they aren't great - it doesn't matter. People are realizing their ideas and doing what they love. So, where are people...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 03:42
Blank
B?????
118 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
3.93K Views
Disclosing small startup on the side to your employer

This topic seems to have been discussed ad nauseum, but I wanted to get thoughts on it one last time. I am a lawyer in a mid-sized firm. I don't have an employment agreement. I started a small...

asked Mar 14 '11 at 10:48
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.97K Views
How do I disclose a small startup I created on the side to my employer?

I am a lawyer in a mid-sized law firm and have founded a very small start-up to just sell one legal software program online. I had the idea for the program, worked with a great software developer...

asked Mar 8 '11 at 13:32
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.59K Views
Instapaper for videos?

I love instapaper (read later or any similar tool ), My question is who's going to do it for videos? Imagine that you see a video but want to watch it later, you click your bookmarklet (browser...

asked Feb 6 '11 at 08:41
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.13K Views
Side Project Selection Criteria

I have several side projects that I am considering working on. Some are for non-profits while others could lead to a new gig. I was wondering some of the criteria that everyone uses to select or...

asked Nov 29 '10 at 12:10
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.8K Views
Looking for uncompleted software projects

I have a bit of spare time at the moment and was thinking of starting a new project or picking up someone else's uncompleted project. In relation to the latter, is there a marketplace for this...

asked Nov 18 '10 at 00:16
Blank
Liam
121 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
Trying to figure out a general business modus operandi. What's yours?

In terms of personal business practice, how do you generally handle things? To be more specific, do you do the all-eggs-in-one-basket approach? Or, do you diversify with many projects...

asked Jul 24 '10 at 05:04
Blank
Dr. Khan
27 points