Side Projects Questions

0 Votes
0 Answers
Any developers here working on side projects? What are your challenges in marketing and traction building for your project?

How do developers tackle the situation when they do not have either skills or time for marketing for their side projects?

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
My employee agreement doesn't allow me to work on side projects, how can I start a company?

Under my agreement with my current employer, they retain ownership of everything that I create, both at work and side projects (the legal wording is very lose on this, and I guess it's like that...

asked Jul 17 '14 at 18:29
Blank
Cristina Rath
12 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
1.84K Views
Can employee's pet projects help startup business's success?

As many of you know, companies like Google and 3M give the employees 20% of their time to work on something that really excite them the most. I also been thinking maybe this can be a good strategy...

asked Nov 12 '09 at 10:07
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.74K Views
Are there consultants or companies which will help me find projects in USA?

I am from India and I am owner of a Pvt Ltd company, we deal in software, web development, hosting, server administration. We are successfully in business from last 5 years. These many years we got...

asked Oct 6 '11 at 00:50
Blank
Bandurao
11 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
1.29K Views
A Project Completed At Home - My Employer Wants Rights To The System

I currently work within a call centre as a manager and I have a lot of admin work to complete. During my own time, at home, on my own PC I started developing a system/tool via Excel that would...

4 Votes
2 Answers
How to make people take initiative?

We are in a bit of a rough situation here. We have a team of 8 that seems to be committed to what we are doing. Most of them have full time jobs. Our start-up is more like a part-time or side thing...

asked Aug 6 '13 at 16:47
Blank
Noah
138 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
How to keep information about side business private in Chamber of Commerce and un-listed on Internet?

I am looking to incorporate a startup online business as a side business in california. I want to keep the information about my involvement private until I'm somewhat confident about the...

asked May 14 '13 at 16:01
Blank
Joe Black
22 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
Will Your Employeer Find Out if You Incorporate? (United States)

If you work full-time for a large Fortune 100 company and register a Delaware corporation, will your employer find out about it? Obviously there is some public record, but is this something easy to...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 01:38
Blank
Paul
128 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
How to convert a pet project into a startup company / product?

I have been in software industry since Aug-2005. In beginning of 2009 I got a nasty memory leak related defect to solve from my employer. To help myself with such kind of errors in future, I...

asked Dec 2 '11 at 23:29
Blank
Iammilind
182 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
Should I offer my product free until I have enough clients?

I'm working in a side-project in my spare time. When it becomes finished I was thinking to offer as a service for an ammount between 70€-90€ month / client . The only expenses are the hosting...

asked Aug 24 '11 at 20:37
Blank
User674887
128 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
What to do with side projects when joining a startup on the same field

I am thinking about joining a startup and I have a question. I have been working on a side project for a couple months and I own it completely. This side project is internet related (so is the...

asked Jul 31 '11 at 03:34
Blank
Ray Sf
126 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
1.04K Views
Where to draw ideas from?

There are many great products and projects going on everywhere. Even if they aren't great - it doesn't matter. People are realizing their ideas and doing what they love. So, where are people...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 03:42
Blank
B?????
118 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.14K Views
Disclosing small startup on the side to your employer

This topic seems to have been discussed ad nauseum, but I wanted to get thoughts on it one last time. I am a lawyer in a mid-sized firm. I don't have an employment agreement. I started a small...

asked Mar 14 '11 at 10:48
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
1.45K Views
How do I disclose a small startup I created on the side to my employer?

I am a lawyer in a mid-sized law firm and have founded a very small start-up to just sell one legal software program online. I had the idea for the program, worked with a great software developer...

asked Mar 8 '11 at 13:32
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
Instapaper for videos?

I love instapaper (read later or any similar tool ), My question is who's going to do it for videos? Imagine that you see a video but want to watch it later, you click your bookmarklet (browser...

asked Feb 6 '11 at 08:41
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
Side Project Selection Criteria

I have several side projects that I am considering working on. Some are for non-profits while others could lead to a new gig. I was wondering some of the criteria that everyone uses to select or...

asked Nov 29 '10 at 12:10
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,401 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
1.04K Views
Looking for uncompleted software projects

I have a bit of spare time at the moment and was thinking of starting a new project or picking up someone else's uncompleted project. In relation to the latter, is there a marketplace for this...

asked Nov 18 '10 at 00:16
Blank
Liam
121 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Trying to figure out a general business modus operandi. What's yours?

In terms of personal business practice, how do you generally handle things? To be more specific, do you do the all-eggs-in-one-basket approach? Or, do you diversify with many projects...

asked Jul 24 '10 at 05:04
Blank
Dr. Khan
27 points