Co-Founder Questions

What are the pros and cons of starting a business alone versus with cofounders? How many founders are too many?

2 Votes
2 Answers
6.21K Views
Biotech startup: How do I split up the roles/responsibilities of three founders?

I am creating a medical device startup and I have some issues determining how to split up the various roles and responsibilities of founders, among other problems. My brother, a friend/partner, and...

asked Apr 20 '11 at 06:32
Blank
Jry223
11 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.96K Views
what are the benefits of a partner requesting funds on my behalf?

I am in conversations with a startup interested in my project. I have not set up the company yet, thus we both wish to collaborate, and apply for public funds to develop my prototype/MVP. The idea...

asked Jul 2 '19 at 19:08
Blank
MMA
1 point

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.97K Views
Talent assessment - knowing what you don't know?

Related to this question, and applying both ways - finding a person is one thing, but for a technical founder trying to assess a non-technical founder and vice versa to see if they're a good fit is...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 12:07
Blank
Cade Roux
196 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.99K Views
How to fire my co-founder who has nothing to do with the start up any more?

I started my company from scratch and found a technical co-founder to build my product. So I managed to hustle in order to find this guy, who was working in a company. He started working for me...

asked Aug 30 '14 at 10:43
Blank
User34129
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
4.92K Views
If your co-founder suddenly leaves before the MVP is complete, could he have a legal claim down the line?

If there was no paperwork done between the co-founders and one of them decides to leave all of a sudden, can the remaining co-founder still continue building that business?Could the founder who...

asked Jun 13 '14 at 16:56
Blank
Omar Gonzalez
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.09K Views
Starting a business with a co-founder without a corporation?

Could you start a company with a co-founder, and have generic agreements in place, all without registering a corporation?We're bootstrapping our first startup and don't want to spend both money and...

asked Jun 18 '14 at 20:12
Blank
Marion Woodward
9 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
4.28K Views
How to motivate a co-founder that is starting to lose interest?

Apart from a heart to heart talk, what else could one do to keep motivating their co-founders to be most productive and not lose interest in the vision?

asked Jul 2 '14 at 00:12
Blank
Daniel Lynch
12 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.71K Views
How can I get fund for my new software? I have MVP!

I am an experienced computer developer, I was enjoying making computer programs since I was just 10, back to 1994. And since 2001, I started to create computer software as my part time and later...

asked Aug 18 '14 at 10:45
Blank
Shahab
6 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
3.14K Views
How to fire a co-founder with more equity than me

I have been working with three co-founders for about a year. Two are technical, including me, and the other is business. We have the equity split up on paper and have determined the exact price of...

asked Oct 22 '14 at 06:42
Blank
User34175
16 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.68K Views
Both cofounders quit. Rebrand?

So me and 2 other cofounders spent a year building a product together, however it got no traction. We have a ery expensive buyout price however, but I don't think it makes sense to buy them out. So...

asked Oct 22 '14 at 21:10
Blank
User34175
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.85K Views
Lawyer involved in co-founder dispute. Partner threatening to quit.

Long story short, approached a friend who is already a co founder of another technology start up that has investment with an idea. He liked the idea. It was my idea, and we started working on...

asked Dec 4 '14 at 03:46
Blank
User34199
46 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
4.26K Views
If I do a 49-50 split partnership do I have the final say as the one with 50% equity?

I just do not know that much about the other person other then he has good tech skills and can take care of a lot of the paper work stuff, that lets me design and build the business. Which is what...

asked Jun 30 '15 at 04:59
Blank
Paul Gilchrist
1 point

7 Votes
9 Answers
10.1K Views
Is performance based equity vesting possible?

I'm willing to give 20% of my startup to my partner who has an MBA and good experience. His main responsibility will be sales, marketing and deal making. I'm the developer. I'm working full-time...

asked Nov 5 '09 at 08:13
Blank
Boolean
388 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.87K Views
How to find a technical co-founder without compromising our company's plans?

We are a team of 2 and we hit an idea about a social media startup some time back. Everything said and done we know that we don't have a tech cofounder. while we look for one we don't want to...

asked Jun 30 '11 at 05:26
Blank
Vishal
73 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.12K Views
How much equity is fair for joining a pre-revenue hedge fund?

The manager of a newly established hedge fund has offered me to join the company for 20% of the company + minimal salary. The fund is not profitable yet, and it would take a year, or two, before it...

asked Jun 3 '14 at 03:40
Blank
User33947
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
Processing for firing a co-founder?

I'm going through a tough position in my startup where we have to let go of one of our co-founders. It's due to several reasons and the other two co-founders (myself included) have decided that...

asked Apr 30 '14 at 17:41
Blank
Elizabeth Hinton
2 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.93K Views
How hard is to be a solo founder building a startup vs having 1-2 co-founders?

What are the top reasons to have co-founders that puts solo founders at a serious disadvantage?Should someone who already has an idea and close to finishing a basic prototype spend time looking for...

asked Apr 7 '14 at 15:40
Blank
Wayne Waring
14 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.58K Views
Why should my partner keep me (the sole developer) as a co-founder instead of hiring a contract developer who has no ownership or revenue sharing?

A little background. I built an app for a friend's small business, it was his idea. I went to him when it was finished and told him it's a good idea and I'd like to turn it into a product I could...

asked Apr 3 '14 at 15:19
Blank
Ryan Arneson
16 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.29K Views
Best team composition for a new startup?

What type of team composition (# of people, skill sets) would be most ideal? Both in terms of skills needed to execute and to raise money.

asked Mar 16 '14 at 01:00
Blank
Nathanial Norman
10 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.82K Views
Getting rid of unproductive co-founder?

Lets say you're working on a startup with someone for a couple of months and they start to lose interest and aren't pulling their weight. And it has come to a point where just talking it out isn't...

asked Mar 13 '14 at 19:03
Blank
Anne Vickers
15 points