Corporate Structure Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
6.21K Views
Biotech startup: How do I split up the roles/responsibilities of three founders?

I am creating a medical device startup and I have some issues determining how to split up the various roles and responsibilities of founders, among other problems. My brother, a friend/partner, and...

asked Apr 20 '11 at 06:32
Blank
Jry223
11 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.31K Views
How can a non US citizen get 20% equity in US company?

Background: I am an Indian citizen residing in India. For the past 3 years I've worked with a US company to develop a software product at a very low price. Now the product is generating some...

asked Feb 2 '20 at 15:48
Blank
Raghu N
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.02K Views
Forming a C-corp: should I allocate Preferred stock from the get-go?

While creating my C-corporation on LegalZoom, a question asks how much should I issue of both Common and Preferred stock. What's a good rule of thumb for this?Is Preferred stock even needed if I...

asked Mar 2 '14 at 19:50
Blank
Jim Crowell
50 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.92K Views
Which state to incorporate in if I plan to raise money eventually? Should it be LLC, S-corp or C-corp?

Which is the best state to incorporate in if you eventually want to finance your startup with angel funding?I currently have an LLC in my state and not sure if it will be optimal. I went with an...

asked Mar 19 '14 at 21:26
Blank
Regina Villalon
70 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.68K Views
Should you register a company in your home state or a business friendly state like Nevada?

That are the pros and cons of creating your corporation in the state where you're located vs a different state like Nevada or Delaware? Which would you recommend?

asked Mar 12 '14 at 02:26
Blank
Gloria West
50 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
4.04K Views
Tech Startup Organizational Structure

We are in the process of launching a tech startup. I wonder if there's a good way to form a good organizational structure. I came up with the following, but I don't know if it sounds professional...

asked Jun 7 '13 at 16:16
Blank
Noah
138 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.68K Views
Organisational structure of investing / consulting LLCs? (by example of seed accelerator Y Combinator)

I wonder how companies like Y Combinator are structured. Y Combinator is a seed accelerator, investing in and consulting businesses. On Y Combinator's web site, there is a list of partners. Y...

asked Jun 22 '13 at 21:58
Blank
Feklee
148 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.3K Views
Equity split for odd relationship

I am developing a SaaS platform by bootstrapping with sweat equity while covering the bills with a full time job. I am probably 2-3 months away from launching a viable public beta, and to this...

asked Jun 28 '13 at 09:39
Blank
Shaun
8 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
How to structure a deal with a new CEO?

I'm a CEO, and I'm wondering how to structure a deal for my first other CEO? The purpose I need another CEO is because I've got my hands full with my own line of products, but I'm an idea guy and...

asked Apr 22 '13 at 18:34
Blank
Ron
21 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.13K Views
Setting up a US business to monetize a website, and doing so from abroad. Is it possible?

I should state at the outset that I am a US Citizen, but simply living abroad in a country where starting a business is much more complicated. I have recently created a website that I would like to...

asked Mar 30 '13 at 21:34
Blank
Nate
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
LLC with 2 members vs Corp to Corp

I am considering forming an LLC, developing a B2B service platform. I am an independent consultant/developer, and have been working with another individual for several years. Over this time, we...

asked Jan 24 '13 at 03:18
Blank
Conrad
108 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.68K Views
How to structure a startup with a small number of founders to avoid chance of 'paralysis' at some later point

Consider a startup with a small number of founders (lets imagine 2 to 4). At some point down the line a difference of opinion developed (such as market to target, or if to continue or fold) that...

asked Jul 4 '12 at 18:27
Blank
Ryan
1,365 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.4K Views
I want to start an ecommerce apparel line, how should I structure my company, and what are the legal requirements to sell online?

I already have an LLC, however, It's not the brand name I want to use for my business. Should I do a DBA under that LLC? I would like to apply for a trademark on the brand, so would this structure...

asked Jul 3 '12 at 20:43
Blank
User18631
16 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.77K Views
Catch 22 trying to revive a forfeited corporate charter

Ten years ago I formed an S-Corp in Maryland with myself as the sole shareholder and director. Unfortunately I didn't have a handle on making all the required tax filings and payments, and the...

asked May 16 '12 at 08:26
Blank
Maryland Business Owner
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.2K Views
Incorporating in Delaware, Does the owner have to create publications to be recognized as an LLC?

I'm planning to incorporate in Delaware. But not sure If from the start I have to create an x amount of publications to be recognized in the state as an LLC. I incorporated an LLC In NYC and it...

asked Apr 24 '12 at 09:28
Blank
Zapoo
303 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.41K Views
Do you send a copy Certificate of Incorporation (Articles of Incorporation) to an interested investor?

Do you think is safe to send a copy of the certificate of corporation (Articles Of Incorporation) to a very interested investor? I think this investor wants to verify that my startup company is...

asked Mar 23 '12 at 12:47
Blank
Zapoo
303 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.14K Views
What title to use for the manager of graphical development?

The lead of technical development is also known as CTO. What's the counterpart that leads the graphical development? Does this position have a commonly-used title or not?

asked Feb 19 '12 at 01:07
Blank
Lmaome
16 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.39K Views
Have you setup an options pool for your S-Corporation? Is it allowed?

My S-Corp didn't have an options pool when we first set it up. I'm now thinking of creating one (15% of total) to fix that as a talent incentive mechanism. My accountant said that C-Corps have no...

asked Dec 29 '11 at 17:49
Blank
Sid
649 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
Dividing an LLC and bringing more partners down the road

I have been developing a game for 3 years now. And recently, a friend has joined me to work on the game with me. By next year, we plan to bring along an artist and musician to help us finish the...

asked Nov 6 '11 at 04:35
Blank
Vakey
8 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.81K Views
Under what conditions can a C corp authorize new shares?

Under what conditions can a C corp increase the total number of shares authorized? Board approval? Majority shareholder approval? Unanimous shareholder approval?

asked Oct 26 '11 at 16:17
Blank
Jon
11 points